Troubleshooting Tikka Magazine Issue and Lumley Pillars

bullnose

FNG
I recently installed a set of Lumley stainless pillars, action screws, and recoil lug in my T3x polymer stock. Since then, I've had some issues with magazine fitment, both with the stock plastic bottom metal and Lumley bottom metal.

This happens with both the factory bottom metal and the Lumley: the factory magazine takes a bit of effort to seat. I have to push pretty hard on the front of the magazine to get a good click. Mountain Tactical mags won't seat at all. This occurs whether the action screws are torqued at a low of 45 in/lbs or up to 65.

My thought is the pillars need to be moved slightly to provide something closer to the factory spacing between the action and bottom metal. My thought was they need to be moved down toward the bottom metal ever so slightly to increase the space a bit. I was thinking I might try to fit a feeler gauge between the top of the mag and action with a mag installed, but I'm not sure there's really room to do it.

I'm not looking for any suggestions on trying a different stock, etc. until I get to the point where I've exhausted my options with this setup that I've already invested my time and money in.

What does the collective wisdom of Rokslide think?

Last edited:

dingle

Lil-Rokslider
Without questioning why you're using a bunch of aftermarket parts, have you tested just backing off the action screw torque to test your hypothesis?

I believe consensus holds that the factory action screw torque is around 35 in-lbs. 35 rear, 40 front - I used these values when reseating the action with factory metal and plastic and have had no drama.

Lawnboi

WKR
Tikka mags work best when they seat nice and tight. That’s said they don’t have the wiggle room like an aics mag does. Either the distance from the bottom metal to the action is just right or it’s not, in your case it sounds like you need more space. An option would be to file the mag catch lip down on a mag but personally I’d try to fix whatever is going on first.

Another tikka mag company, waters rifleman, sends mags with tight mag catche lips and recommends. filing till they are a tight fit.

OP
bullnose

bullnose

FNG
Without questioning why you're using a bunch of aftermarket parts, have you tested just backing off the action screw torque to test your hypothesis?

I believe consensus holds that the factory action screw torque is around 35 in-lbs. 35 rear, 40 front - I used these values when reseating the action with factory metal and plastic and have had no drama.
I'm the type that feels the need to modify pretty much everything. It's what I do and I enjoy tinkering. Sometimes it works, other times it's a failure, but it keeps me entertained.

I tried the lower torque settings and got the same result. I went with the Lumley recommendation to torque from 45 to 65 in/lbs with their pillars.

Last edited:

Macintosh

WKR
If the pillars are the correct length it should prevent over tightening like this. Did you modify the pillars at all?
I’m fairly certain this means the Distance between the action and bottom metal is too small. I bet if you made a couple washers out of a pop can and used it to shim underneath the bottom metal you could test a couple thicknesses and see if it helped, at zero cost. I suppose you could make that a “permanent” solution even, but if you figure out that a can-thickness of shim (or 2, or…) makes it work properly, then you know exactly how much too short the pillars are. Sounds like you are extremely close, anyway.

Last edited:
OP
bullnose

bullnose

FNG
If the pillars are the correct length it should prevent over tightening like this. Did you modify the pillars at all?
I’m fairly certain this means the Distance between the action and bottom metal is too small. I bet if you made a couple washers out of a pop can and used it to shim underneath the bottom metal you could test a couple thicknesses and see if it helped, at zero cost. I suppose you could make that a “permanent” solution even, but if you figure out that a can-thickness of shim (or 2, or…) makes it work properly, then you know exactly how much too short the pillars are. Sounds like you are extremely close, anyway.
I think you're on to something here.... I have not messed with the pillars at all. I'll try some shims and see how that goes.

sndmn11

WKR
I have had this problem.

Take the mag catch out and sand it down a tiny bit where it meets the lip on the magazine. If you purchased from Mountain Tactical, they were great to work with and put me directly in touch with Tom. He ended up sending me multiple mag catches so that I could fine tune the fit that I desired.

[email protected]

OP
bullnose

bullnose

FNG
I shimmed the bottom metal and that worked. I am now able to get the factory mag and Mountain Tactical mags to seat and feed/cycle as they should with the stock BM. The Lumley BM is still a bit tight with the Mountain Tactical mags, but they now feed and cycle ok. For what it's worth, overall function seems to be smoother with the stock BM.

lumley's pillars are way too short - by a good 1/8" or more. leave them a crap review, it's basically the only recourse.