Tripods?

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
Maybe there is a post already but....What is a great lightweight tripod for glassing in the backcountry? I need a new wiz-bang tripod!

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Of course the Outdoorsman's tripods are awesome.

I have a Slik 340 EZ that has been a very good less-expensive tripod.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Jared,

Silk Sprint Mini with a Jim White head. Been using that combo for 10 years in the backcountry and have no regrets.

Last edited:

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Outdoorsman Medium and Outdoorsman Pan head for me....

Like Doug said, lightweight, bulletproof and well worth the $

McFly83

FNG
Sunpak Travel Lite, weighs 2.1 lbs, 14.6" closed and 56.5 extended. It has a three way pan head that is suprisingly smooth. Everything on the head is metal so you don't get that jerky movement when you are scanning. Very little plastic, so its pretty stout. Best part is it cost me $25.

muleman

WKR
I've tried several tripods for my Zeiss 85. I settled on a Manfrotto 190CXPRO3 with 700RC2 video head. In my experience, a good sturdy tripod with a smooth video head lets me get the most from my scope.

I pay a little weight penalty for the video head but make it up some with the carbon fiber tripod. My only issue is the tripod with head is a little long when collapsed.

McFly83

FNG
Will that hold an 85mm McFly?

Never used one of those before...could you post a photo?

It says it holds up to 3.3 lbs, I think the Zeiss 85mm is just under that. I use a 60mm spotter. I do use 3 lb 20x binoculars on it and it holds up fine. I'll try to get a pic with my setup.
Here's a pic I found online. Its the one on the left.
imgres

B

bearguide

i used a gitzo 2530 lvl with 700rc2 head, it worked great in strong wind on the alaska penninsula this spring

millsms

FNG
I have a Benro carbon fiber i got on Amazon for $160......great deal and weighs 2 lb

Will the outdoorsman pan head or the Jim White head fit on a Slik Mini without any other add on's or other pieces?

GRAYLIGHT

FNG
The Outdoorsmans small with the accompanying pistol grip is awesome... I cut the center post to shave weight... Works like a charm and it is damned near indestructible.

GRAYLIGHT

FNG
Nick, I am speaking in regards to the Outdoorsmans Small tripod... With the Outdoorsmans Pistol grip... When I am hunting the back country, I don't NEED to sit up while I am scoping a deer, so I cut the center post, save the weight and sometimes I can sit up, while looking down into a basin but if I am looking uphill, I have to lye prone... No biggie for me... Saves a little weight and space.

Sonoran

FNG
Jared, I just went through this process last fall and heres my $.02. I too feel the outdoormans medium tripod is the standard for a bompbproof lightweight and versatile tripod. I was debating between it and the small outdoorsmans tripod and the outdoorsmans pan head. But... Carbon fiber tripods have gotten really good IMO. Instead I choose the Sirui tripod model T1205x and I feel it gives you everything the medium outdoormans does without the addtional weight and size. This thing is rock solid steady,super compact and really well made. I am 100% satisfied with this little gem. Combined with my outdoorsmans pan head it comes in exactly at 2.4lbs (38.36oz) and it is only 13.5" tall colapsed with the outdoorsmans pan head attached. Amazingly this thing is rated to hold 22lbs and I believe it could. if I ever felt the need for extra stability in heavy winds it has the hook on the bottom to hang a weighted dittly bag as well.

R Miller

Lil-Rokslider
For mountain hunts I use a Slik Pro624cf with the lower leg extensions removed. Really Right Stuff BH-25 Ultralight Ballhead.

Weighs 27.5 oz and extends to 30in, 15.5in collapsed