Tripod Tip #1 standing position demo

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I was fireforming some brass today, and was showing a friend some tripod positions, and we shot this video.

If you intend to take standing shots with your tripod, I do not recommend a center column or weak legs. You really need a solid base and a very solid ball head.

For big game hunting, I think the standing shot is used infrequently, usually we have time and opportunity to go seated or kneeling. Standing, is solid for shots inside 400 yards, and further if you practice and have the right gear and practice. Most shots in the field can be done sitting, so that is what I practice. A smaller, lighter, and less sturdy tripod is acceptable for that. You may not want or need to get the gear and practice it.

In the video, I take a couple shots and walk through and show the position. I have another video explaining it a little more. Both are posted below.

I was out of practice, but was able to reduce my wobble consistently to about .3 mil to .4 mil, which is roughly about a fat 1 MOA or 3 to 4 inches at the distance I was shooting.

Next trip out I will get footage through the scope. This trip, I mounted a new scope on a new rifle, broke in the barrel with 50 shots, got my velocity, and fireformed some brass. I am pretty happy with it.

EDIT: here is another tripod standing video with the tripod flipped around. That is one of the only differences with what I do. It changes the feel of the recoil. I haven't practiced either enough to really pick. They have pros and cons.

Attachments

• 20210324_193802.jpg
    20210324_193802.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

lintond

WKR
I’ve been looking into getting an adapter to shoot my rifle off my tripod if needed. I know most recommend a ball head but I’m curious if you think it’s reasonable to use a outdoorsman standard head? This is my glassing setup so I was hoping to make it work for hunting setups where my pack/bipod aren’t adequate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
hereinaz

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I’ve been looking into getting an adapter to shoot my rifle off my tripod if needed. I know most recommend a ball head but I’m curious if you think it’s reasonable to use a outdoorsman standard head? This is my glassing setup so I was hoping to make it work for hunting setups where my pack/bipod aren’t adequate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, you can use that head, especially starting out. It is better for glassing but not as good for shooting. You will glass more than you shoot and you may not like shooting off a tripod, it might not enhance your particular style or it may be more effort than you want to put in to learn.

So, give it a go, and you can upgrade as you might need. The tripod itself can be a bigger factor.

Pretty much every tripod I have seen can be used for a rifle, the question is how many positions and how steady.

Has anyone tried multiple tripods to compare them? ...I know there's the hog saddle ...but there's like two or three different name brands at cabelas I was curious about on quality vs hog saddle ..main use would be hunting and occasion long range shooting.

OP
hereinaz

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
You want a clamp system, direct attachment to the tripod, or a plate/bag to shoot off of?

OP
hereinaz

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I like the clamp in style .. seems more versatile maybe
It’s not. It has significant limitations. It’s not obvious unless you try it, so asking the question is smart. I bought a Triclawps very early on. I sold it pretty quick after I started learning more.

I have been wanting to do some short calls about topics like this to post as podcasts in my tip’s section. Sort of like a call in show to ask your question and discuss.

If you are interested in a phone call, this would be a very good topic. Shoot me a PM if you have interest.

The short answer is that the clamps are not as adjustable as a direct mount for long shots, and the clamp is not as fast as the table/bag combo for short and intermediate shots.

And, the clamps weigh more.

There are situations that the clamp works fine, but it doesn’t work better. I have used the Triclawps, Hog Saddle, and Death Grip. Without a ball head you have to adjust the legs for aiming which is completely a waste.

ccoffey

Lil-Rokslider
Something I’m trying to fix or contain between now and next fall is my ability track shots more easily. I feel like I had a really difficult time staying on target this year. Do you think that can be helped in a scenario where I able to get the gun on the tripod and hang a weighted gear bag from the hook on the tripod. I shoot a suppressor and that has helped with the recoil a lot with the caliber I shoot.