Tripod recommendations for guiding

CB890

FNG
Hi all,

Looking at maybe going for a new tripod for my spotting scope. Scope is a Leica televid Apo 82.

Need something for guiding with a focus on mountain goat hunting so need something steady for assessing goats and also something that is decent for panning around and finding game with spotter

Currently using a manfrotto element. I am unsure about the steadiness of this for panning and also had some issues with locking it off where I wanted it. E.g. I would pan onto an animal but it didn’t lock onto that spot.

Anyone have any recommendations, and also able to draw a comparison based on what I am currently using.

Other key features would be for it to be weight conscious, but doesn’t need to be ultralight. I am also conscious of budget but I do not have a problem paying for quality.

Cheers

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I run the Leofoto with inverted legs. Either the short or the full size. It is long, because it only has two leg sections, but it is the most stable for the weight. And, it’s strapped to the outside of my pack and deploys super fast.

You can steadily glass off it and with a bag shoot of the head you use.

Outdoorsmans is always a good option.
Check this out; it was sent to us by Jake Franklin and I think it tells a great story.

"This old girl has been going STRONG for 16 years of guiding day in and day out, in some of the gnarliest sheep mountains in the west. I retired her today and now it belongs on my mantle. Thanks Outdoorsmans for insane quality in a tool that is needed. Out with the old, in with the new!"-Jake Franklin"

I'm sorry if this type of thing isn't allowed since I do work for Outdoorsmans (web developer/designer/nerd), but I think it's pretty cool and wildly relevant to this thread!

Attachments

• BD532346-04FB-4ECC-893C-6FDE82AEC215.jpg
    BD532346-04FB-4ECC-893C-6FDE82AEC215.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 30
  • ED465937-CF9C-4459-9154-CE02B98D5531.jpg
    ED465937-CF9C-4459-9154-CE02B98D5531.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 30
OP
C

CB890

FNG
Thank you for replies so far.

Leofoto looks a bit more in my price range. How comparable is it in quality to some of the higher end tripods.

I think outdoorsman out of my price range, I am unsure are we really seeing a cost benefit for what the retail at? I am unsure on that.

How about tricer? I see that mentioned a few times on here and I think I could make that set up work $$ wise.

Thanks for input, if it helps any I won’t really use it for anything apart from glassing with spotter (not a shooting test) 99% of time seated glassing

OP
C

CB890

FNG
Just reviving this to see if anyone can weigh in.

I am weighing up the tricer BP fluid head and BC tripod. Does anyone have any advice here? I think a fluid head would be what I’m chasing. Any suggestions to other fluid heads would be good Sirui vA 5 gets good reviews

I am also wondering whether my current tripod Manfroto element carbon would actually be sufficient and I could just upgrade the head

sr80

WKR
A tripod for mainly guiding mountain goats, you might want something that is taller than the tricer BC, maybe the AD? Sometimes when chasing goats, you're glassing in some nasty alders and brush from the valley bottom or on the side of the mountain before breaking into the alpine. And finding a spot to be able to sit and glass with visibility through the alders can be a chore.

sr80

WKR
Also Rydell from aziak equipment put out a teaser of his new front country tripod that is going to be released in june i believe. Three leg section stand up tripod weight around 3 lbs with his new ball head. Looks interesting.

Wymatt22

Lil-Rokslider
I have a compact Gen 1 Outdoorsman’s tripod for sale for $400 right now if you are still considering Outdoorsmans but aren’t to keen on the brand new price. Looks and functions as brand new. Only used on a couple hunts.

middleforkguide

FNG
Classified Approved
Look strongly at outdoorsmans. I've been guiding for 16 years and have been using the same outdoorsmans tripod the whole time. They are bomb proof and work amazing. There are always used ones on here for sale for a pretty decent price. Buy once cry once. One of the best investments I bought for guiding.