Tripod head recommendations?

bracer40

Lil-Rokslider
After hours of research, I’m ready to ask any of you willing to help, what recommendations you have on a tripod and head combo.

Here’s my anticipated use and expectations.

• I’ll be mounting 15x56 swaros SLC on it (maybe a spotter in the future as well).
    99% of my hunts are from the rig vs backpack hunting (course I’d still appreciate less weight over 6-10 miles a day)
    Would like the head to be compatible with a window mount for road scouting.
    I imagine most glassing would be done sitting, but want to be able to stand too. I’m 5’10”
    Like to keep the tripod/head under $500
    I expect to use this for about six weeks nearly every day this year.
    Decent resale value in the event I later discover a setup better suited to my needs.
    Solid warranty
    I understand I’ll need a swaro compatible adapter. I think the vortex pro @<$100 would work vs. the nearly $200 swaro one?
I’m a total nube regarding this equipment, so appreciate any additional features I should consider.

After a nearly an hour discussion with a guy named Joshua at the Everett Sportsman’s Warehouse (shout out! If you’re on here!) I learned that the head is as important, if not more so than the tripod. Pan heads better than the ball style. Yes carbon is lighter, but also more $ and can be less stable ( though as I understand it, hanging weight from the center leg ( or is it a post?) can make it more stable.

Capability of accepting a shooting rail can be useful (though I’m not sure how that would work if you only have one tripod setup for glass. Wouldn’t you have to take the glass off, put the rail on, then setup the shooter...all while taking the glass off the animal?!?)

I’ll be calling a couple of dealers who represent multiple brands later today.

Some of the better respected brands Ive learned about are:
  • Manfrotto
    Slik
    Outdoorsman
    Gitz0
    Sirui
    Promaster
    Vortex ( mostly for the warranty)

Any dealers you'd recommend?
I’ve scrubbed through hours of old posts here and on my home forum/HuntWA (didn’t pursue the birding or photography forums), so any of your personal experiences are greatly appreciated!

Also open to offers if you have one sitting around that you'd like to unload.

Jim

Run the Outdoorsmans adapter for the SLC. Works very well and is a lot less money than the Swaro.

I have a Slik 635 which works well enough but it’s not nearly as stable as my Manfrotto XTRA 290 CF. But it’s lighter and more compact. I run the Slik when space and weight matter and the Manfrotto at all other times. A STX 65 is pushing the limits on my Slik.

Heads are personal and what works well for one person another will hate it. I run a Jim White 2.0 and like it. But I also liked my Manfrotto head as well. Do expect to go through several heads before finding one that floats your boat.

You likely have to remove your SLCs to put on a shooting platform. I have a Shooting V and Tri-Clawps from Outdoorsmans and that’s what I have to do when using either of them.

OP
B

bracer40

Lil-Rokslider
Run the Outdoorsmans adapter for the SLC. Works very well and is a lot less money than the Swaro.

I have a Slik 635 which works well enough but it’s not nearly as stable as my Manfrotto XTRA 290 CF. But it’s lighter and more compact. I run the Slik when space and weight matter and the Manfrotto at all other times. A STX 65 is pushing the limits on my Slik.

Heads are personal and what works well for one person another will hate it. I run a Jim White 2.0 and like it. But I also liked my Manfrotto head as well. Do expect to go through several heads before finding one that floats your boat.

You likely have to remove your SLCs to put on a shooting platform. I have a Shooting V and Tri-Clawps from Outdoorsmans and that’s what I have to do when using either of them.
Great information. Thanks!!

OP
B

bracer40

Lil-Rokslider
I should add, I realize I put a lot of questions out here, so if anybody would prefer to have a simple conversation (remember those?) shoot me a pm and I'll send my number.

Thanks guys!

SoTxShooter

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve got a SLIK 634 carbon fiber tripod with a Sirui VA-5 pan head. I believe I paid right at $400 for the combo 2 years ago. I think the tripod was ordered directly from SLIK, and the head was bought through the GoHunt gear shop.

My only extended experience with it so far was an AZ mule deer hunt last year. My 10x42 binos were on it 90% of the time, but when it was needed, the tripod/head combo handled a 80mm spotter without any issues. I’d recommend this setup to anyone looking to run any sized binos and a spotter up to 80-85mm. I haven’t put anything heavier on it, but I’m betting it would handle it. Good luck with your decision!

Jimss

WKR
One of my biggest words of advice is to have quick release so you can instantly exchange between spotter, binos, and cameras. It also makes it possible to instantly convert from window mount to tripod. It's a real pain in the rear until you have this system figured out.

I can exchange between spotter, camera, camcorder, tripod, window mount in a matter of seconds! You also want the mounts and brackets to be super solid so they aren't constantly loosening up or flimsy.

We get great support here and the most popular tripods are the various Slik CF tripods, Sirui tripods and Promaster tripods. The VA5 head and the Promaster SPCH20 heads are our two best selling heads. They are both Arca Swiss.
All members here get special pricing off of our website pricing.

Feel free to call me at 516-217-1000

Joel

Sirui tripod and VA-5 head is hard to beat. Light weight and a lot of bang for your buck. VA-5 head is pretty dang smooth and gives heads 2x the price a run for their money. Deck it out with outdoorsmans quick release for the head to tripod connection and get you a outdoorsman window mount and it’ll do everything you need it to do. I run my 10’s, 15’s and spotter on it with the sirui quick release plates makes switching out between optics a breeze. I run the outdoorsman bino adapters as well. It’s been a solid set up, I hunt a ton and haven’t had any issues.

rfc86

FNG
I have the 10x42 SLC's and 15x56 SLCs. I am using the stud for both from the Outdoorsman. I also have the Outdoorsman Tall bino adapter (highly recommend for the 15x56s). I am using the Outdoorsman Pan head as well. Its amazing. Made in USA. You won't regret it.

OP
B

bracer40

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks to all of you that helped me out here. I now have a Slik 633 (the 634 were out of stock and coming later than I wanted) with a Sirui VA5 head.
Headed over to Outdoorsman for the necessary adaptors & quick release attachments to handle the 15x56 swaros and to pick up a window mount.

Kind of over shot my under $400 budget by about $300. But I'm confident I'll be set up with everything I need to glass from the field or rig!

THANKS AGAIN!!

Couesy31

FNG

Curious your feedback on the shooting V and tri-clawps from the Outdoorsmans - I’ve actually been debating the two.

Antares

WKR
Slik 635 and an Outdoorsman pan head, stud, and tall adapter works great for my 15x56 Meoptas.

Curious your feedback on the shooting V and tri-clawps from the Outdoorsmans - I’ve actually been debating the two.
The Tri-Clawps is nice when having to shoot over vegetation or with steep angles. But it is not something that I’d use for a 700 yard shot. There’s better solutions for that( $$$$). But it works well enough at least for my rifles; all are about 8 pounds with one 9 pounder.

The V is nice and feels more versatile. I can still shoot over vegetation and steep angles. But it allows for quicker shots. Gets lots of use for predator hunting and even waterfowl. Used the V out to 400 yards successfully more than once; is an area that I should practice more.

The V is always in my pack whereas the Tri-Clawps only periodically goes with me.

Couesy31

FNG
The Tri-Clawps is nice when having to shoot over vegetation or with steep angles. But it is not something that I’d use for a 700 yard shot. There’s better solutions for that( $$$$). But it works well enough at least for my rifles; all are about 8 pounds with one 9 pounder.

The V is nice and feels more versatile. I can still shoot over vegetation and steep angles. But it allows for quicker shots. Gets lots of use for predator hunting and even waterfowl. Used the V out to 400 yards successfully more than once; is an area that I should practice more.

The V is always in my pack whereas the Tri-Clawps only periodically goes with me.
Nice! Thanks for the info!