Tripod Cant

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
If you can find one with the MA-30L head, it has a lever instead of a knob for tightening the arca clamp.
I agree. The version with the lever is better and can be had for $440. For my uses, I saved the $140 and got this one instead.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I like this ball head. You can set the tension and drive it while glassing and shooting. I ran the Anvil 30 and it is nice, but I like this one better. There are larger sizes too.

You can stick with the pan head, just toss a shooting bag on it. That will get you to 450-500. Happens all the time in competitions. I typically don’t lock in for shots inside 400. I mix it up between 400 and 500. Past 500 I lock into ARCA.

Shooters like our waxed mini and tacky sack for this. If lightweight is what you want, then the 2-5 Ultralight.

If you go prone off your pack it is a rear bag.

TetonRecon

Lil-Rokslider
I've spent over 2 years stressing about this exact same problem. I ordered almost every tripod and head option Leofoto offers as well as Sirui and several other comparable brands, just to test and fondle, then resold what I didn't like. I've tried center columns, bowls, leveling bases, ball heads, pan heads, RRS Anvil-30, etc. I swapped heads, weighed each configuration, and even went as far as to modify some heads, legs and attachments. My personal solution was all too simple, two tripod setups. Then based on what kind of adventure i'm going on, I choose the one that best suits that situation. There is literally no do it all option for me. I love the center column and pan head for pure glassing pleasure. So I have a sirui ST-125 with a VA-5 head that I use for preseason scouting, filming, and archery season. Then I put it away once rifle season opens and use a Leofoto LS-254C tripod with A Leofoto LH-30 panning ball head with the Leofoto LSC-50 50mm Lever Release Dual Clamp For Arca / Picatinny mounted on it because mounting arca plates on your hunting rifle is dumb. Why not just have a head that accepts both Arca and pic. Glassing off of it is a SLIGHTLY less convenient than the pan head, but the benefits outweigh the cost. It's awesome to shoot off of, you never have to worry about cant or tilt, it's quick and easy to glass off of and the panning feature helps a ton. If I'm going to be near my truck or not going in too far, I'll take both! I know that seems crazy but it's only a few ounces more if I leave the bipod home. I try to be as lightweight as possible, but I also like to film my hunts. Also, if I have to take a solo rifle shot, I'll always try to set a camera up whenever possible so there's no guessing about what happened. This has helped me many times. But if I'm backpacking in, I'll just take one tripod and maybe the spartan bipod. I guess what I'm saying is, everything seems to be a compromise at the highest level. You gotta just do what works best for you.

Last edited: