Tripod basics?

Bluto

WKR
I searched. Promise. Here, YouTube, etc.

My problem is I don’t know what to call what I’m searching for, which is kinda funny even if frustrating.

I have a vortex summit SS-P that has served fine, but it is not compatible. All I want, short term is, a way to attach an Aziak bino clamp to my tripod so I can try out/test some binos. Bonus question - what is this part of the tripod called (doesn’t seem to have a standard nomenclature) and which style of it is on this vortex tripod?

19095C4B-39D9-4EBC-941B-E432A19DEF31.jpeg

sndmn11

WKR
OP
Bluto

Bluto

WKR
I don’t think so? Unless there’s a way to attach that to an Arca Swiss plate? (Is it just generically called “quick release plate,” or is that just a Vortex name?)

The Aziak bino adapter is labeled as Arca Swiss, that’s the only reason I mention it.

svivian

WKR
You should be able to screw the bottom of the Aziak to the plate that comes with the summit. I have the same tripod and bino adapter and mine came with a nut you can put in the bino adapter to do exactly what you are asking.

svivian

WKR
If you are referring to the threading then you have two options. take the plate to a hardware store and match a nut up to the threading to get it to work with the aziak as you can just drop the nut into the clamp. or you can buy an adapter to change the thread size on the summit quick release plate

Last edited:
OP
Bluto

Bluto

WKR
Got it for now, thanks for the memory jog @sndmn11 That’ll get me through the next week of testing out some binos.

That post adapter looks like a good solution. Eventually I’ll probably go to that, but if I buy these EL’s or SF’s, i may have to go a different route this season. (Assuming the stud is akin to the Outdoorsman’s and can’t just be hand-fit.)

Or go with an option like this that skips the thread in post.

OP
Bluto

Bluto

WKR
Yup. Short term that’s what I went with. I have the Aziak version. (It just comes with a different base plate, or whatever it’s called.)

OP
Bluto

Bluto

WKR
Welp, back to the drawing board.

After all of that, the summit quick release plates (I do need a replacement) are as discontinued as the summit tripod I have, and the cheapo thumb releases for the leg angle adjustments are dead. I emailed vortex to see if there’s a repair option. We’ll see. If it’s a “mail in and see” I’m pretty much out of time for a repair turn around. Something tells me I’m about to have to call Doug about a new tripod.

This optic thing is getting more and more expensive lol.

mahonsr

Lil-Rokslider
What did you end up doing? I’m in the same boat and would rather not changing anything on the tripod

OP
Bluto

Bluto

WKR
Emailed vortex, sent the tripod in for service. Came back as it was brand new and I asked for a mounting plate - they sent one.