Triple Vortex Rangefinders: Viper vs Diamondback vs Crossfire ***Updated 2/17/23***

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
5404D147-0434-4FA6-80D5-27AA96D72EC2_1_105_c.jpeg70BCB631-6313-47C7-850D-B15A058AF264_1_105_c.jpeg

***Updated 2/17/23***, Final Review is up:
Triple Vortex Rangefinder Review

Previous Discusssion:

The Viper® HD 3000

MSRP $599.99

https://vortexoptics.com/viper-hd-3000-rangefinder.html
Range Reflective (yards)............3000 yds
Range Tree (yards).....................2300 yds
Range Deer (yards)....................2000 yds
Accuracy....................................+/- 1 yard @100 yards
Max Angle Reading....................+/- 89 degrees
Magnification..............................7x
Objective Lens Diameter............25 mm
Linear Field of View....................314 feet @ 1,000 yds
Angular Field of View .................6 degrees
Eye Relief...................................15.5 mm
Length........................................4.2 inches
Width ........................................1.7 inches
Weight........................................9.1 oz
Target modes..............................Normal, First, Last, ELR
Two ranging modes....................LOS, HCD

The Diamondback® HD 2000
MSRP $449.99
https://vortexoptics.com/diamondback-2000-rangefinder.html

Range Reflective (yards)...............2000 yds
Range Tree (yards)........................1800 yds
Range Deer (yards).......................1400 yds
Accuracy........................................+/- 1 yard @ 100 yards
Max Angle Reading .......................+/- 60 degrees
Magnification .................................7x
Objective Lens Diameter...............24 mm
Linear Field of View.......................335 feet @ 1000 yards
Angular Field of View.....................6.4 degrees
Length............................................4.1 inches
Width.............................................1.8 inches
Weight ..........................................7.6 oz
Two target modes.........................Normal, Last
Two ranging modes......................LOS, HCD

Crossfire® HD 1400
MSRP $269.99
https://vortexoptics.com/crossfire-hd-1400-laser-rangefinder.html

Range Reflective (yards)...............1400 yds
Range Tree (yards).........................950 yds
Range Deer (yards)........................750 yds
Accuracy........................................+/- 1 yard @ 100 yards
Max Angle Reading.......................+/- 89 degrees
Magnification.................................5x
Objective Lens Diameter...............21 mm
Linear Field of View.......................367 feet @ 1000 yards
Angular Field of View....................7 degrees
Eye Relief......................................16 mm
Length...........................................4.0 inches
Width.............................................1.3 inches
Weight...........................................4.8 oz
Three target modes......................Normal, First, Last
Two ranging modes .....................LOS, HCD

Alright... what do you want to know about these three rangefinders?
My review is underway and I'd like to hear what you actually care about?
What do you want to know?

Last edited by a moderator:

PvilleMac

FNG
I hope youre still doing this. Id like to know how drastic you think the difference/quality is between the viper and crossfire. Is it worth the extra $300-$400 for someone who is mainly trying to range archery distances?

Datchew

FNG
Out past 400 yds free hand distance resolution time.

I've found you have to be way toooo steady to get a reading out that far.

Huntsalot

FNG
I'm looking at the Crossfire. I'll mainly be using it for Eastern treestand hunting ranging 30-40 yds at most. At times I'll be using it out West out to 500 yds. Is there any functional benefit to the more expensive models vs the Crossfire for my intended use? Thanks for the info.

OP
Howard Mee

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
I hope youre still doing this. Id like to know how drastic you think the difference/quality is between the viper and crossfire. Is it worth the extra $300-$400 for someone who is mainly trying to range archery distances?
Archery distance? No. It's not worth the extra. The Crossfire is amazing. So far I think I like it the best for the price. The Crossfire kind of "feels" cheap because it is soooo light. But it has performed amazing. If you're literally only going to use it for archery, the Crossfire is plenty of range finder.

OP
Howard Mee

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Out past 400 yds free hand distance resolution time.

I've found you have to be way toooo steady to get a reading out that far.
I have a test I'm working on for that. The response time hasn't been a problem for me. Stability has been a problem though. I have to use the tripod or rest it on top of my spotter. Its too difficult to tell exactly which object is getting ranges when I'm shaking

OP
Howard Mee

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm looking at the Crossfire. I'll mainly be using it for Eastern treestand hunting ranging 30-40 yds at most. At times I'll be using it out West out to 500 yds. Is there any functional benefit to the more expensive models vs the Crossfire for my intended use? Thanks for the info.
The Optics adage is "You get what you pay for" right? The Viper and Diamondback cost more because they're better. However, if you're truly only shooting to 500 yds, then the Crossfire is a great answer. I really like the reticle, it's light weight, all three of these have crazy fast response speed. I have an older Ranger 1000 and the difference in range speed is shocking. Buy the crossfire.

IF YOU'RE A NEANDERTHAL... (like Mee) and you're rough on your gear, you might want to go with the Viper 3000. I haven't had any damage issues so far, but one of the main upgrades from the Crossfire to the Viper is its construction. FYI

nobody

WKR
Interested to see more on all of these. Picked up the Viper right when it first came out, so far its absolutely blown my previous Swaro/Kahles unit out of the water without even trying. I've gotten handheld ranges exceeding 2200 yards without leaning on anything or steadying beyond maybe using 2 hands to hold it. And it's LIGHTNING fast. Only had it for a couple months, so yet to put it through its paces on any hunts. But so far, so good.

Brother and Cousin-In-Law each just picked up the Diamondback models for sub $300 on different sales, and they are equally as fast. Brother and I went out scouting last week and he was able to handheld range to just beyond 1600 yards.

It seems Vortex has really hit a sweet spot in price to performance with these rangefinders. Even better when you think about the fact that they're the only ones with the lifetime warranty on not only the glass, but the electronics too. That's a big deal considering how often electronics go wonky in today's world.

Nick992

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the review!
I've been leaning Leupold, but you're giving me thoughts to reconsider

So is it safe to say that the Diamondback is literally "the middle road" between these 3 models? Better than the Crossfire but not quite as good as the viper? i'd be interested in what it does better than the crossfire since they're in similar price range (BP has the DB for $299 for ex.).

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm curious if people think the Razor 4000 is worth the extra $100 over the Viper 3000. Anyone had experience with both?
I do have experience with both. Depends really what you are looking for in a rangefinder. I would say that if you want the utmost in accuracy and plan to use it for rifle hunting I would go with the Razor as it is more accurate.

I do have experience with both. Depends really what you are looking for in a rangefinder. I would say that if you want the utmost in accuracy and plan to use it for rifle hunting I would go with the Razor as it is more accurate.
Thanks for the reply. That makes it a pretty easy decision then. Razor for me. While I like the value that the Viper, Diamondback, and Crossfire bring to the line, the Razor being the top of the line and only $100 more makes it a no brainer.

The Diamondback is a solid middle of the road option. Not as far up the road as vipers or razors and not as far down the road as the crossfire…. I’ve got to use a viper and it’s very solid for what I want, which is use for archery and rifle hunts. Not sure id spend the extra 100 for the razor.. I think I’d rather put that 100 towards something else. But either way you can’t go wrong.

I am in the market for either the crossfire or diamondback myself. The way I have justified gear purchases lately is this; if I use it daily it needs to be solid stuff. A really high quality daypack for archery, hunting, cycling, hiking, etc is a great example. I should probably go ahead with the Kifaru purchase. A range finder in this case for backyard archery everyday, TAC trips, and hunting. It needs to be a high quality piece of equipment.

When it comes to the things I’ll reasonably do a few times per year, I should skimp on those and go with the cheaper option.

So here I am itching to pull the trigger on a diamondback rangefinder and Kifaru pack.

jayrad313

FNG
have you come across any issues in light fog, snow or rain with the viper? I purchased a viper in September for a couple rifle hunts and was very disappointed in its ranging ability in VERY light fog and drizzle. I tried all of the different modes to range a target at 300 yards and consistently it spit out 12.5-20 yards.
Did I get a bad unit or are they that poor in those conditions?
My old nikon was able to range in the same conditions

Not a Vortex, but has anyone used the Muddy Rangefinders? Looking at a deal of $119 on the 850