Trimming pillars to fit

SDHNTR

WKR
Is there a DIY manner in which to trim aluminum bedding pillars for the proper height?

The bedding and pillar installation I am totally comfortable with, but I don’t own a mill or any other kind of complex machining equipment to shave down one for proper height.

I also lack any decent gunsmith close to me, and really don’t want to ship to have it done.

You don’t need a gunsmith, but a machinist could help if you have a bunch to remove. The sandpaper would work if you’re removing a little. A file would work if you have more to cut

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Yeah, I’m just afraid of not being able to maintain a perfectly flat surface for the bottom side. I’m assuming the top side is properly scalloped to fit the bottom of the receiver

Last edited:

BBob

WKR
Hacksaw and a file. Vise would be handy too. That’s what I did when I was young and had no $$$ to spare.

BBob

WKR
Yeah, I’m just afraid of being able to maintain a perfectly flat surface.
Why do you need perfectly flat? If you use the cut side towards the action and leave .030-.050” of epoxy between action and pillar when bedding it doesn’t need to be perfect. If you use the cut side towards bottom metal and bed it it doesn’t need to be perfect. I myself would do the first and likely bed the bottom metal too.

Last edited:
Yeah, I’m just afraid of being able to maintain a perfectly flat surface.
Just take your time and check it often. I'm assuming you're doing a typical rifle and not trying to win a BR championship? I've done a bunch of DIY pillars and all the results have been good. Just take your time approach it with confidence.

Wrench

WKR
Drill press and a file will work.

Don't get hung up on perfectly flat. You're going to bed it anyway. If you think about 90% of the bedded actions out there, they tend to be not 100% contact with the pillars.

Wrench

WKR
Also....pay attention to the draft angle if you're using a magazine type bottom metal. Angles and elevation are important.

Think about this, most receivers are round, and the pillar is gonna be flat. If you’ll fill in those voids with bedding material it won’t matter.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
I’m assuming Manners includes scalloped pillars for the receiver side. Anyone know?

Last edited:

wapitibob

WKR
I filed my manners pillars. I left them about .020 short and bedded both the action and my bdl bottom metal. Actually had to bed the bdl because manners butchered the stock.
I’ve read that metal to metal is bad joojoo for actions/pillars.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
I filed my manners pillars. I left them about .020 short and bedded both the action and my bdl bottom metal. Actually had to bed the bdl because manners butchered the stock.
I’ve read that metal to metal is bad joojoo for actions/pillars.
Isn’t maximizing metal to metal contact the whole point of pillars in a stock?

BBob

WKR
Isn’t maximizing metal to metal contact the whole point of pillars in a stock?
That's old school thought. Most bed today with my previously suggested .030-.050" layer of epoxy between pillar and action. I machined the Manners flat pillars deeper by ~.050" and bedded. I do the same installing pillars in other stocks. Will it make a difference in your average field rifle? Probably not.

Here again a web search would provide you more info. Hint ;)