Trijicon RMR 1 or 3 MOA for close coyote ?

Block

WKR
Very new to any type of red dot. Setting up this 90* mount on my Varmint AR. Basically when I’m solo and have no shotgun I’d like to have a chance at those close over the shoulder runners. Anyone have any experience huntin coyotes with red dot? Some people are telling me 3 MOA is the way to go,, much easier to pickup the dot on a moving target. Others are saying outside 40 yards a 3 MOA is as big as the whole dog and they much prefer a 1 MOA. Any input greatly appreciated! Thanks

Attachments

• A88E068A-174B-4AC5-AB7F-EA3DEC1250D9.png
    A88E068A-174B-4AC5-AB7F-EA3DEC1250D9.png
    428.3 KB · Views: 10
You may want to find better resources if they are telling you a 3 MOA dot would completely cover a 2'+ long animal at 40 yards.

Just tested a 6 MOA dot on a fire hydrant at 55 yards. If your resources were correct, it'd have been impossible to see the hydrant. Let's just say that a 6 MOA dot does not cover the bolt face where the fire department hose connects.

If someone wants to see the truth for themselves, it is easy. Just go to any place that sells red dots that you can look through. Go there and find a target about the size of a coyote, and look at it through various red dots.

Since these images are from the internet, they should be verified.

iu

iu

OP
Block

Block

WKR
You may want to find better resources if they are telling you a 3 MOA dot would completely cover a 2'+ long animal at 40 yards.

Just tested a 6 MOA dot on a fire hydrant at 55 yards. If your resources were correct, it'd have been impossible to see the hydrant. Let's just say that a 6 MOA dot does not cover the bolt face where the fire department hose connects.

If someone wants to see the truth for themselves, it is easy. Just go to any place that sells red dots that you can look through. Go there and find a target about the size of a coyote, and look at it through various red dots.

Since these images are from the internet, they should be verified.

iu

iu
Yeah like I said I’ve got no clue about red dots…and hearing WAY different things from dif people.,,but that’s great advice I will def swing by a shop and test a few out b4 ordering online.

Buzby

WKR
Yeah like I said I’ve got no clue about red dots…
I’m sure you know how to calculate MOA though, 3 moa = about 3” 100yds. Works just the same on red dots. Although the dot size can appear slightly larger of you have the brightness turned way up.

1 moa can work if the brightness is high. 3 should work fine.

I run a 2 moa dot on my bullseye pistol and it is perfect at 25 and 50 yards.

OP
Block

Block

WKR
I’m sure you know how to calculate MOA though, 3 moa = about 3” 100yds. Works just the same on red dots. Although the dot size can appear slightly larger of you have the brightness turned way up.
Yeah That makes sense ! But confuses me
Even more how a pretty knowledgeable dude that hunts and kills alot of dogs would tell me that 3 MOA covers most the dog at 50 yards and it’s harder to be accurate.. def goin into a shop TODAY to sort this out for myself

What scope are you using on your AR? I would try to use my scope as much as possible to avoid having to switch to another optic. I don’t understand where this fad of having two optics on your rifle is coming from.

OP
Block

Block

WKR
What scope are you using on your AR? I would try to use my scope as much as possible to avoid having to switch to another optic. I don’t understand where this fad of having two optics on your rifle is coming from.
98% of the time I will use the normal scope yeah… it’s simply for when calling coyotes and one shows up out of nowhere over ur shoulder very close and on the run. This is where you’d love to have a shotgun but when hunting solo carrying 2 guns is a bust. So a red dot at least gives you a CHANCE at possibly gettin a shot off at that dog that is likely going to wind you and bail instantly.

In the last few months this has only happened maybe 3x out of over 50 dogs killed but I sure woulda loved to have that red dot those 3x

Rob5589

WKR
Even more how a pretty knowledgeable dude that hunts and kills alot of dogs would tell me that 3 MOA covers most the dog at 50 yards and it’s harder to be accurate.. def goin into a shop TODAY to sort this out for myself
Maybe he means prairie dogs🤣

OP
Block

Block

WKR
I can understand your purpose, but wouldn’t a 1-6, 1-8, 1-10 scope do the same thing?
Like I mentioned I don’t have much experience at all with red rot but from what I’ve “heard” it’s 10x easier to get on a close quick moving target with a RMR than an actual scope. I duno if you have ever called dogs, but the situation I’m describing you have no time at all to find a dog in a scope no matter what power. I typically keep my scope set around 10 power and there’s usually not much time to adjust that,,, zero chance to adjust in the situation I’m talking about.

This 1-10 power shit… people still use those?? You and RoBBy Denning only 😝

OP
Block

Block

WKR
So yeah update.. went and tried out a 3.25 MOA RMR and that should be perfect..I think homie might be trippin sayin 3 is way too big..not that he’s wrong by using the 1moa,, it apparently works great for him…

appreciate ur input here guys… should have it on the gun just in time to sit there all spring and summer haha…

Last edited:
Like I mentioned I don’t have much experience at all with red rot but from what I’ve “heard” it’s 10x easier to get on a close quick moving target with a RMR than an actual scope. I duno if you have ever called dogs, but the situation I’m describing you have no time at all to find a dog in a scope no matter what power. I typically keep my scope set around 10 power and there’s usually not much time to adjust that,,, zero chance to adjust in the situation I’m talking about.

This 1-10 power shit… people still use those?? You and RoBBy Denning only 😝
I don’t have much experience calling dogs, the few I have shot have been through a scope, on the move with a 1-8x scope though, thus the reason I was asking. It sounds like you have a good setup.

OP
Block

Block

WKR
I don’t have much experience calling dogs, the few I have shot have been through a scope, on the move with a 1-8x scope though, thus the reason I was asking. It sounds like you have a good setup.
Yeah they are a COMPLETELY different animal when you call them in vs. when you see one out deer hunting or whatever. They come IN full speed with a purpose and if they detect ANYTHING is off as they circle the wind they are gone even faster like you shot at them..

I have never called a coyote in, both were just an opportunity while I was out and about, I tried to get the drop on them, but didn’t and they took off……they are a shifty little critter.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator

Part of the reason for the differences in “opinions” is that the dots aren’t actually the MOA they say their are. A 1 MOA dot would be a pin prick at 100 yards, when turned up to where it’s usable in daylight it’s more like 2-3x the stated size. And, it varies from Manufacturer to manufacturer, as well as from unit to unit variations. A 2 MOA dot is more like a 3’ish MOA at the smallest. A 3.25 MOA is 4-6 MOA in appearance, 6 MOA is generally 7-9 MOA, etc.

OP
Block

Block

WKR
Part of the reason for the differences in “opinions” is that the dots aren’t actually the MOA they say their are. A 1 MOA dot would be a pin prick at 100 yards, when turned up to where it’s usable in daylight it’s more like 2-3x the stated size. And, it varies from Manufacturer to manufacturer, as well as from unit to unit variations. A 2 MOA dot is more like a 3’ish MOA at the smallest. A 3.25 MOA is 4-6 MOA in appearance, 6 MOA is generally 7-9 MOA, etc.
that makes sense! Like boot sizes haha you’d think a size 12 is a 12” universal deal but NOPE unfortunately we have to lose $ on 10 pairs to find one that fits just right