Trijicon Huron 3-9x40mm Drop Evaluation Q&A

The Guide

WKR
Assume this is at 9X? Thank you for the report!
Correct. All SFP scopes are only accurate for their BDC type reticle at the highest magnification unless otherwise stated. The Huron 3x9 subtention chart shows 2.24 MOA, 5.0 MOA, & 8.32 MOA at highest magnification.

Jay

The Guide

WKR
1 in tube, SFP, and BDC reticle. Yech.
But that what makes this scope so special since it is passing the drop test. It is a basic scope. Not everyone needs a 30mm tube or FFP scope and since it is offered in a duplex reticle also it covers a lot of ground for what people would want in a basic scope. Enough people have trouble hitting a target at 200 yards and think it is magic when you shoot something at 300 yards. This is the bomb proof scope for 85% of all rifle owners.

Jay

Dobermann

WKR
Cmon man, that’s not what this scope is trying to be.

the market also needs reliable budget deer hunting scopes that can take a hit. Lots of hunters want a set and forget deer rifle and aren’t shooting past 250 yards
Didn't say (and don't think) that 'that's not what this scope is trying to be' ... it's clearly the opposite of the three specs I mentioned, so that goes without saying.

And I think most of us here are well aware of what 'the market' wants (or thinks it wants) ... it's not what many, if not most, of us here want.

WesM

FNG
Two. But not with good reticles for hunting.
Just curious, what is a good reticle for 200-500 yard hunting? I feel like I have seen so many people complain about bad reticles, I have yet to see anyone say what a good reticle is or who makes one.

I'm pleased to see the Huron getting tested. I'm currently deciding between the Huron, Credo and Meopta Optika5 for my hunting rifle.

ztc92

Lil-Rokslider
Just curious, what is a good reticle for 200-500 yard hunting? I feel like I have seen so many people complain about bad reticles, I have yet to see anyone say what a good reticle is or who makes one.

I'm pleased to see the Huron getting tested. I'm currently deciding between the Huron, Credo and Meopta Optika5 for my hunting rifle.

Maven SHR-Mil, SWFA Mil-Quad, THLR.

Dobermann

WKR

@ztc92 has it. Do searches here for guides on how to use those reticles and that might help.

For contrast, read the long range shooting sub-forum on scope evals and digest the comments about what is not a good hunting reticle.

This site is likely the best single place where you can find this out.

Dobermann

WKR

Specifically, @Formidilosus has threads on how to use the Mil-Quad reticle, as well as the THLR. If you combine those as search terms, with his name in the 'By' field in the search box, you should find them.

Holler if you don't, and one of us will post the direct links.

Dave0317

WKR
For those that have used this and the Credo, what factors would make you choose one or the other? Would you say the Mil-Square reticle option is worth the cost of upgrading? Let’s say use case is a hunter already familiar with and capable of long range shooting, but plans to hunt within 500 yards. I’ve mainly used Mil reticle scopes in the past, how bad is it to downgrade to a BDC reticle for hunting?

For those that have used this and the Credo, what factors would make you choose one or the other? Would you say the Mil-Square reticle option is worth the cost of upgrading? Let’s say use case is a hunter already familiar with and capable of long range shooting, but plans to hunt within 500 yards. I’ve mainly used Mil reticle scopes in the past, how bad is it to downgrade to a BDC reticle for hunting?
I have a 3-9 Credo and two of these 3-9 Hurons. I've never used mil reticles so won't get into that but I much prefer the finish of the Credo to the Huron, yeah I know it's superficial but it bugs me lol. According to Trijicon they're the same internally except the Credo is illuminated. The reticles don't bother me, just have to know where their POI is. With a 3-9 if you're using the reticle you're gonna be on max power so shouldn't be an issue with SFP changing subtensions.

wildmek

FNG
Apologies in advance for my stupid but there any reason the Huron 2.5-10x40 or 3-12x40 (both with 30mm tube) wouldn't be an upgrade for 2-2.5 extra ounces? Big price difference where I am but Trijicon prices are all over the place in Canada.