Tricer DZ head first impression

FNG
Just walked through the door last night after a bear hunt and the new Tricer DZ head was sitting here. Would have loved to have had it in the field this last week but a shipping problem kept that from happening. In any case, first impression is a very good one.

IMG_4834.jpeg
The head is significantly larger and heavier than their LP head, but adds the function of instantly going from a pan/tilt head to a ball head with the throw of a lever.

I’ll compare the Tricer AD tripod/DZ head to the Sirui ST-124/VA-5 head. I think a lot of guys are running the Sirui setup.

IMG_4833.jpeg

On my scale, the DZ weighs 14.8oz (compared to the VA-5 which weighs 14.5)

The Sirui ST-124 and VA5 weighs 3 lb 7.6 oz.
The Tricer AD and DZ weigh 2lb 15.8 oz

So the Tricer combination is 7.8 oz lighter than the Sirui setup BUT adds the ball head function. (Somebody check my math)

If you’re already running the Tricer LP head, switching from the LP head to the DZ adds 10.3 ounces to the Tricer setup.

IMG_4838.jpeg
IMG_4837.jpeg

The DZ fluid head pan and tilt function is SUPER smooth. The ball feature provides a very solid lockup when the lever is closed. If you only want the head to pan and tilt for glassing, that’s exactly what you have. If you need to switch from glassing to shooting, you just pop your optic off, clamp your rifles ARCA rail into the head, throw the lever and now you’re using a ball head.

The handle collapses or you can extend it for more leverage if you’re using a heavier optic.

IMG_4835.jpeg

One thing that annoyed me about the LP head is the handle sticks out at a weird angle when you’re trying to stow the tripod. The DZ handle tucks neatly between two legs of the tripod.

IMG_4836.jpeg

I think I’m going to like this head a lot.

Anyone else have one and what are your impressions?