Trending minimalist - not ready yet - what tweener boot for this year?

solarshooter

Lil-Rokslider
I just got a pair of Altra Lone Peak mids earlier this summer. Have worn them on a few day hikes, awesome shoes. Very flexible and flat sole, still a nice amount of cushion, great traction, super breathable and feel very light on the foot. Can't attest to long term durability yet but they are fine so far.
Just got back from a 3 day elk hunt in these shoes. They were very comfortable in the warm temps and on trail. They are terrible for side hilling because they are so soft and flexy they completely twist and slide around your foot. They also really lack lateral traction. I fell about 5 times because of these suddenly slipping out sideways when going through rough off-trail country. There were some steep sections where I physically could not switchback because any amount of lateral angle to the slope would make them slide out. Excellent trail shoes but they are not capable off-trail mountain shoes, mostly because of the traction issues.

Edit: Durability wise they held up well. No real damage or significant scuffs/tears.