Treated Down in Jackets - Ryan Avery Podcast

Just listened to Ryan's podcast on the 5 jackets he tested in the real world. I was surprised to see that hyperDRY treat down performed so well versus the KUIU Quixdown. Essentially, the grumman didn't fail at all. In lab tests its shows quix down as lasting longer before wetting out, but you can't argue with real world results.

This is definitely a huge confidence boots for any products that use hyperDRY like the Stone Glacier Grumman or Stone Glacier sleeping bags.

Last edited:
OP
F
I don't do podcasts, cliff notes?
I am going off memory, but he tested 5 jackets. 2 were not treated and non hunting brands. The 3 hunting brands were SG grumman, KUIU ultra down, and First lite chamberlan (all treated down).

Chamberlan is advertised as treated with some synthetic fibers.

Ryan, would walk in the rain until the jackets wetted out and lost all loft. He did this in the same rain so it was apples to apples.

Basically the chamberlan and 2 non-treated jackets wett out between 25 - 36 minutes.

KUIU ultra down came in 2nd place wetted out after 1 hour and 35 minutes.

SG Grumman came in 1st place with never wetting out and had no visible loft lost even after couple hours. He said he was wet on inside showing the jacket was letting water through as they are not water proof, but the down stayed lofted and he stayed warm.

Sound like a real world test that actually applies to us. Watched a GoHunt down vs synthetic video a while back they stuck the cuff/forearm portion of a Grumman into a pan of water and it was completely soaked pretty quickly as would be expected.

Apples to oranges but what Ryan did sounds like reality vs getting a predicted result when subjecting down to water submersion.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Sound like a real world test that actually applies to us. Watched a GoHunt down vs synthetic video a while back they stuck the cuff/forearm portion of a Grumman into a pan of water and it was completely soaked pretty quickly as would be expected.

Apples to oranges but what Ryan did sounds like reality vs getting a predicted result when subjecting down to water submersion.

That’s true, however even when submerged and wetted out, when pulled out of the water, the SG down lofts back up quickly.

nobody

WKR
I know lots of people cry "hype" with some of Stone Glacier's marketing, but between Ryan's real world testing and Stone putting their proverbial "money where their mouth is" with this test, you can't fake some of this:

There's lots of BS marketing, and then there's real performance. The SG is on my shopping list now.

OP
F
What it definitely seems to show is there is a lot of BS with type of treated down, but seems Allied Feather which is company that uses HyperDRY is legit. Not all things are created equal.

I just bought a Katabatic quilt that used Allied Fearher and used to use HyperDRY and now uses ExpeDRY. Be interesting If it’s as good. Reading about it on Allied’s website sounds like it’s a completely different chemical process. ExpeDRY aids in quicker evaporation and allowing the down to dry faster. HyperDRY aids in beading up water and having water roll off plum. I got the sense HyperDRY is for more extreme conditions.

Last edited:
OP
F
What it definitely seems to show is there is a lot of BS with hype of tested down, but seems Allied Feather which is company that uses HyperDRY is legit. Not all things are created equal.

I just bought a Katabatic quilt that used Allied Fearher and used to use HyperDRY and now uses ExpeDRY. Be interesting If it’s as good. Reading about it on Allied’s website sounds like it’s a completely different chemical process. ExpeDRY aids in quicker evaporation and allowing the down to dry faster. HyperDRY aids in beading up water and having water roll off plum. I got the sense HyperDRY is for more extreme conditions.
Looks like my assumption on the 2 different hydrophobic down products from Allied Feather are true. Seems HyperDRY is for more extreme wet conditions which is why Katabatic uses it in their jackets.

Just checked Katabatic’s website and their jackets use HyperDRY while their quilts use ExpeDRY. Based on the specs, katabatic is using the exact same 850 HyperDRY down as a Stone Glacier. In size large this jacket has 6oz of fill. For $299 this actually looks like a great jacket and should be a bit warmer than the SG.

IMG_3070.png

After listening to the podcast I told my wife I was selling the Kuiu SD Pro jacket and pants she just bought me for Christmas and buying SG. I won't actually do that, but had to try for a reaction. The podcast has me curious on how the SD Pro would do vs. the Grumman since the face fabric is different between the SD Pro and Ultra.

OP
F
After listening to the podcast I told my wife I was selling the Kuiu SD Pro jacket and pants she just bought me for Christmas and buying SG. I won't actually do that, but had to try for a reaction. The podcast has me curious on how the SD Pro would do vs. the Grumman since the face fabric is different between the SD Pro and Ultra.
Yeah I to have the KUIU SD Pro. I have also used the SG Grumman. I agree it would be a more apples to apples. The face fabric of the Grumman is 15D pertex and the SD Pro is 30D stunner stretch. Also the ultra has half the insulation; therefore, you could make the argument that the SD Pro cold lose a little loft and still have enough fill to remain somewhat lofted and provide insulation value.