Traveling to New Zealand with fire arm

Thank you for you answer,if i may ask also about the

MIke,
one more question,
with the 4457 form, CBP do you fill up that at the airport on the day of departure to NZ or I have to go before to CBP office and have that done.Thank you

We had to postpone our trip. But the 4457 can and should be filled out in advance if you have a local customs office. Bring your gun and get this done in advance to avoid any delays the day you fly.

You always CAN do it the day you fly, but man I would not try it if you have an early flight. If you leave from a local airport, you can still do it at the departure international leg, but you probably won't have time during the layover for this.

OP
R
We had to postpone our trip. But the 4457 can and should be filled out in advance if you have a local customs office. Bring your gun and get this done in advance to avoid any delays the day you fly.

You always CAN do it the day you fly, but man I would not try it if you have an early flight. If you leave from a local airport, you can still do it at the departure international leg, but you probably won't have time during the layover for this.
Thank you Mike,I just called the nearby CBP and they told me come no more then 1-2 weeks before the departure.

Thank you Mike,I just called the nearby CBP and they told me come no more then 1-2 weeks before the departure.

I can't think of any reason for this. Your forms are good "forever". You can laminate them and keep them for any combination of rifles. So why would they care if you showed up 2 years in advance with 4 rifles that you "might" one day take out of the country for a hunting trip? Seriously, ask them if they will do it if you show up tomorrow. I bet they will, but if not, find out why.

OP
R
I will give them a call again tomorrow and also one more location, who knows, they just don't want to get bothered to much

I know the form has had expiration dates on it, but the current one doesn't. And I believe the expiration date was just the last date you were supposed to use that version of the form, not that a completed form expires on that date.

But I'm just a keyboard warrior on this. I'd definitely ask those whose job it is to do this. They may be right or wrong, but they are the hurdle you have to leap. :)

OP
R
Yea,
It’s must been just a person what talk to.
Bc I called them actually yesterday and scheduled for this Friday.
You need this for the visitors firearms form for NZ.
Don’t want to right till the end

Yea,
It’s must been just a person what talk to.
Bc I called them actually yesterday and scheduled for this Friday.
You need this for the visitors firearms form for NZ.
Don’t want to right till the end

I don't think NZ requires this. At least they didn't ask me about it. It's for getting back into USA.

OP
R
It’s right on the visitor firearm form,where you need to submit all the info about your gun,place where you stay.
They ask for a copy.

WCB

WKR
OP,

Go to CBP get your 4457 filled out. I actually had 2 done. One for firearms and optics and I had a second filled out with my camera gear (camera, lens 1, lens 2, lens3, etc).

Register with NZ online. (make copies of every thing) I had copies in my carry on, checked bag, and in the case with the firearms.

You will collect your firearms in Auckland. There is a police counter...if needed use the phone at the counter to contact someone. They check them/sign off. (we paid the fee to them at that time). They bring you to the Customs check point. We were not sent to the front and they were more interested in our boots than firearms. They never looked at them in the Customs line.

Have your boots CLEAN as can be and ready for inspection. You will go outside and got back into the domestic airport for the domestic flight (a couple hundred yards...easy walk stretch your legs). Bring to the oversized baggage place (someone will be able to direct you) set it in there and go to security and then to your gate. Airport is tiny and easy to navigate...have questions just ask...most helpful airport staff I have ever encountered.

OP
R
OP,

Go to CBP get your 4457 filled out. I actually had 2 done. One for firearms and optics and I had a second filled out with my camera gear (camera, lens 1, lens 2, lens3, etc).

Register with NZ online. (make copies of every thing) I had copies in my carry on, checked bag, and in the case with the firearms.

You will collect your firearms in Auckland. There is a police counter...if needed use the phone at the counter to contact someone. They check them/sign off. (we paid the fee to them at that time). They bring you to the Customs check point. We were not sent to the front and they were more interested in our boots than firearms. They never looked at them in the Customs line.

Have your boots CLEAN as can be and ready for inspection. You will go outside and got back into the domestic airport for the domestic flight (a couple hundred yards...easy walk stretch your legs). Bring to the oversized baggage place (someone will be able to direct you) set it in there and go to security and then to your gate. Airport is tiny and easy to navigate...have questions just ask...most helpful airport staff I have ever encountered.
Thank you so much for the info and heads up,I am going to CBP on Friday, good to know about the second form for the cameras.
Will make sure all our camping gear and boots are free of any dirt,I heard that they can inspect and look for any sign of any dirt.