Trapping tips and tricks

Thanks, I will look into snaring and foot holds.

I have them on camera literally every single night in the woods out behind the barn...guessing whatever I try will have a high rate of success!

Samson7x

WKR

I have them on camera literally every single night in the woods out behind the barn...guessing whatever I try will have a high rate of success!

I just started last season but have had success with foot holds. Look up dirt hole sets. Throw some bait in the hole and use a lure or urine to grab their attention. Use a backer to influence them in front. They will work on yote, fox, and even bobcat. I use 4 coil traps so they hold better.

BWlongbow

Lil-Rokslider
I use the Jake Traps for coyote, cats, fox, raccoons. I adjust the pan tension for the animals that I do not wait to catch. Use plastic window screen fabric for pan covers. Use peat moss to bed the traps because we get a lot of rain here in Georgia. Most times I use the Wolf Fang anchors but I use a lot of drags too.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Starting our trap line week of Thanksgiving.
This year we're trying some Wind River pan covers for our MB 550s.
We like to 4 coil our traps also for better jump out of the frozen stuff later in season.
Going to try some antelope check patch lure this year too for bobcats, I'll explain later if it works out.
Also got some drags from Strained chains Trap mods, Chris Morgan, They look like they'll work great.

We target bobcats and coyotes mainly.
You know, I sent Strained Chains an email about some chain setups and drags several months ago and never got a response. Looks like he does good work, but never heard back from him.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Anyone have a way of releasing wolves. Im in WI and would like to trap some when I am through with school. We can't legally trap wolves, and I am sure must would pull out of a coyote set. But Neve know.
Look up Skye Goode on Instagram and Facebook. She releases wolves every year out of her sets. We release them to the afterlife here in Idaho. Coyote traps will hold wolves, caught one last year in a NO BS K9 Xtreme. People in MN and WI catch quite a few in MB550s. Catch pole is what you need, a GOOD catch pole, not one of those flimsy PVC ones. A wolf would bite that in half in just a jiffy.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Y pole. I learned about them and watched it work on a wolf during a chemical immobilization class at a zoo and kinda laughed it off. Then saw them repeatedly work on wild canines and they’re effective. Wolves are submissive just like dogs. They’ll snap at the pole the first couple times and usually by the 3-4 time you can place it over their neck and they won’t move again. Avoid the catch pole rodeo at all costs! Been in too many of those with other animals.
You're partly right. Wolves have different personalities and temperaments just like dogs. Some are submissive. Some are the devil themselves. Not all of them will just lay there submissively. If you do the catch pole right they won't fight it for long, they'll be blacked out in short order.

sneaky

"DADDY"

Be sure you do it right the first time. If you educate them, then the difficulty level goes up exponentially. Flat sets work really well, pee posts (take your dog out with you, they'll find pee posts for you and make new ones), blind sets, trench sets, dirt holes. All those work.

wytx

WKR
You know, I sent Strained Chains an email about some chain setups and drags several months ago and never got a response. Looks like he does good work, but never heard back from him.
I messaged him on FB and got a response pretty soon.

Harvey_NW

WKR
Classified Approved

Just got my trappers license this morning, body gripping traps (including snares and foot holds) are illegal in WA. Pretty much live trap only. Read the study guide (only 44 pages with a lot of bs like recipes and animal descriptions you can skim through) and leave it open to reference when you take the test online, took less than 2 hours to do it all.

Rich M

WKR
They're more difficult than you may think. Yotes are smart buggers
Yet some guys can get them to step onto a 50 Cent Piece sized trap pan with amazing regularity. Critters of habit.

From what I've seen, it is the placement of the stick they are supposed to step over or around. Flipping nuts!

Yet some guys can get them to step onto a 50 Cent Piece sized trap pan with amazing regularity. Critters of habit.

From what I've seen, it is the placement of the stick they are supposed to step over or around. Flipping nuts!
Roger that and I’ve only ever tried snaring them over bait. Damn things always figure out how to get around my funnels

mcr-85

WKR
My little boy had one in his snare this morning and I had one trapped about 50 yards from it. Both males. That's his 2nd coyote this year. He trapped one last week. It's been a little slow but a few catches are better than none and it's always better than work.
c6ccf77db41d4912b8b8b733b61565c3.jpg
aa95a025b5326f7e7c85b9c3542fdd17.jpg
e017036be89058e5e42b3fa9c3307735.jpg
aef6f6d2c50ddd6ebde973d990097576.jpg
01806ddf1f116817550a1cea4f8c21a8.jpg
6b6a7b91aac64796562d8d70fb08e013.jpg

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Check your state regs - every western state I’ve trapped prohibits the use of game animal parts as bait.