Transporting elk from CO to East Coast

renagde

WKR
Hey I'm looking for an answer in regards to transporting elk meat and antlers from Colorado to Pennsylvania. I searched multiple forums, and there seems to be varying answers in regards to the antlers. The meat will be deboned so that won't be a problem. Does the skull really have to be boiled to transport it? I've heard of the clothes hanger to try to get all the brains out of the skull, obviously the spinal cord will not be attached anymore. If I clean it out the best I can, is there anything else I need to know? Any insight you can give me is appreciated.

johnw

FNG
I've always boiled it before transporting out of state (also from CO to PA). I've never been stopped on the way back home but have heard of it happening.

muddydogs

WKR
Instead of looking at multiple forums for answers your best option would be looking at the hunting regulation for each state you'll pass through and see what each state laws are for transporting game.

Just cleaning the skull the best you can probably isn't good enough and won't give you a pass in most places. If all brain matter needs to be removed your not going to do that with a coat hanger.

Brendan

WKR
Depends on the state you drive through. Some do require boiling, no tissue remaining, and being treated with a bleach solution.

Either go to that level, or just check the regs state by state.

OP
renagde

renagde

WKR
It seems that since CWD has been found in Colorado it's "blacklisted" so from there to Pennsylvania there are definitely states that allow no brain or tissue on the skull. I haven't seen any regulations from any states about specifically requiring "finished taxidermy" or boiling, most just specify that no brain or spinal tissue can be transported. Maybe the safest route would be to boil and know that your back is covered.

7Bartman

WKR
Any thoughts on splitting the skull cap, folding the antlers on themselves and UPS/FedEx back home? I wouldn't want to get to the airport with all my stuff and my skull to find out otherwise.

Sportsman247

Lil-Rokslider
To be honest, we hunt in Colorado and drive back to SC. I've never even considered boiling the skull but will definitely look into that now.

wytx

WKR
Our local GW has informed me that they are addressing the issue of using a car wash to clean your skull at their meeting today, interesting timing.
He has stated that in the past they are not too heavy handed on those doing the pressure wash if the skull is mostly clean. Due to the fact that any material is supposed to be discarded in an approved landfill, car washes do not fit the regulations and they may crack down on this practice.
I'll forward any info he gives me after the meeting.

CMF

WKR
I'll be traveling back to Mississippi from New Mexico and to be safe I'm thinking of boiling it and using the carwash pressure washer to finish it off. I didn't think about the waste needing to be discarded properly.
Does the boiling actually kill CWD?
If it does kill it, Does it still need to be discarded properly if boiled?
which states require a bleaching solution? First time hearing that one
what is the smallest pot i can get away with for a bull skull?

Honestly man- I wouldn’t worrry about it. Most guys don’t punch their tickets. Just enjoy yourself and make sure you bring a camera. Lots of beautiful sights to see.

Brandon_SPC

Lil-Rokslider
The majority if not all CWD states require you have all meat deboned (like you mentioned) and for the skull not to have soft tissue. That means brain matter, skin, hide, fluid etc gone. When Alabama passed their CWD law there were game wardens checking trucks as the were coming into the state. Last year I saw Florida FWC stop a guy coming in from Alabama with elk antlers hanging out the back. So the states do monitor state lines during the year at least here in the Southeast.

mpg07

Lil-Rokslider
Is there a reason your bringing the whole skull back? If doing a shoulder mount you can just cut the skull cap out much easier to transport. If your doing a european mount you can still just do the skull cap and have your taxidermist get you a reproduction skull.

muddydogs

WKR
Well old Randy Newburg just posted a YouTube video about transporting skulls today. While its not super informative for the first time guy it will give you some ideas of the pot size and basics.

muddydogs

WKR
From what I have looked at it looks like every hunter needs to come up with a plan to deal with CWD rules and have the equipment on hand, just looking at the Utah rules there are a few units in the state that no big game animal CWD parts can be transported from even if the animal is staying in state.

ncstewart

WKR
Cutting skull cap is the way to go I think. If you do euro then make sure your pot is big enough. I hauled a turkey frying pot to AZ last year and it wasn’t big enough. Also it takes a fair amount of time to clean a whole skull so that another problem. Most states are cracking down on cwd so I personally would have it clean regardless of how you do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
renagde

renagde

WKR
Thanks all for the suggestions and insight. I realize there's a very small chance of punching a tag and we're prepared for that. But I also don't want to be stuck out on the mountain trying to figure out how to get everything home and not having anything. I think we're going to plan to take a turkey fryer burner with and grab a wash tub from Tractor Supply. Worse case scenario is my kid has a new tub to splash in during the summer

ChrisAU

WKR
I want a euro on the first bull I kill...I'm almost resigned to just having a taxi in CO do it and then shipping it, even though I am completely capable of doing it. I don't see myself boiling a skull in the parking lot of a hotel then dumping that water in an approved landfill.

CMF

WKR
The tractor supply wash tub is a good idea.

"Is there a reason your bringing the whole skull back? If doing a shoulder mount you can just cut the skull cap out much easier to transport. If your doing a european mount you can still just do the skull cap and have your taxidermist get you a reproduction skull. "

I do my own whitetail European mounts. I can't imagine an elk being much harder.