Training without gym membership

Do many of you have gym memberships? If not, what are some good training exercises that you do at home?

I am training for a Colorado Backpack hunt and cannot justify an expensive gym membership when I can put that money towards the hunt/gear.

My current routine involves the following...
-P90x
-Running/Jogging
-Hiking the steps at the local high school stadium with my Eberlestock weighted down. (I am a flatlander so this is the closest I can get to steep terrain)

Just looking for some other ideas?

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
We don't have a gym membership either though I am considering one for the off season next year to help me add variety when it's too cold or snowy to get outside. Your current routine sounds good...if you are getting bored or just want to mix things up, you might try adding lap swimming or cycling. Both will help improve your cardio and work slightly different muscles. I added these this spring as I worked towards my first sprint triathalon, and I was amazed how tired I felt when I started swimming laps, it's more of a work out than you might imagine. Punchcards to your local pool are usually pretty affordable, and most offer at least two lap swims each day.

Another thing I have found useful to train for climbing uphill is step aerobics. I know it sounds dorky, but I have found the physical mechanics of climbing up something (in this case a 10"-14" step) greqt training for hiking uphill. You can do an in-person class, but there are several good DVDs or exercise programs for Wii (EA sportsactive more workouts is the one i use most often) that are great too, and you can usually get the step and risers pretty cheap at someplace like sports authority or maybe even Walmart. I haven't ever done step aerobics with additional weight besides my own body, but suppose you could add wrist or ankle weights to increase the difficulty if you wanted too.

tstowater

WKR
We have a local Y that my whole family uses and is very reasonably priced for the amount of use we get. Besides taking spinning, yoga, TRX and other classes, I use the machines (Tredmills, Elipticals, Arc trainers, Stationary bikes) and the weight machines and free weights. We are a 3 minute drive to the gym and it helps keep me organized. I also do a limited amount of work with a personal trainer to make sure that I am on track to accomplish what I want to do. I do outside work with a pack, but we are at 1300 feet and no hills to amount to anything. Just make do with what you have.

muleman

WKR
I work in a four story building. Starting in the spring, I do ten trips up and down the stairs twice a day. Just something I can do while at work.

G Posik

WKR
You can throw in some push ups, dips for the tris. You can do lunges and isometric squats. I do my running in the morning and found a gym that has a cheap monthly rate ($7.00) went in and paid for 18 months and they gave me a deal of $5.50/month for doing so. I go to the gym at lunch and get my resistance training in then. Saturdays I do the same as you, bleacher climbs since I live here in Houston. the only mountains here are the metal ones. Looking at the workout you posted you have a pretty good routine

Glenn

I dropped my gym membership when I realized how much you can do at home for free. You can do plenty of good bodyweight exercises such as pushups, handstand pushups, pullups, squats, burpees, walking lunges, etc.

Buy a set of dumbbells with interchangable weight plates and you can do plenty more, including bench press, military press, cleans, one-armed snatch, front squats, thrusters, weighted lunges, etc. There is plenty you can do with no gym membership and a little creativity.

Broken Arrow

Lil-Rokslider
I have some dumbells a barbell a small home gym and a treadmill. I hardly use the home gym just do a lot of cleans lunges curls burpees pushups sit ups and walk on an incline with a weighted pack. Plus walk and jog the local trails here. If you have a smart phone get the fitness buddy app tons of variation. For walking or jogging I do normal stuff + walking on tip toes or jogging backwards to work different muscles. Also yoga is great to help avoid strains or injuries.

Reflex

FNG
You can throw in some push ups, dips for the tris. You can do lunges and isometric squats. I do my running in the morning and found a gym that has a cheap monthly rate ($7.00) went in and paid for 18 months and they gave me a deal of $5.50/month for doing so. I go to the gym at lunch and get my resistance training in then. Saturdays I do the same as you, bleacher climbs since I live here in Houston. the only mountains here are the metal ones. Looking at the workout you posted you have a pretty good routine

Glenn

Wow!....$7.00 a month! That's crazy cheap. Is it a nice gym? Much better than my $35.00 a month that I currently pay. It's a lot of money, but well worth it in my opinion. I play a lot of basketball there in addition to lifting. It's a fun way to keep in shape.

G Posik

WKR
It is not all that bad. There was a planet fitness open up just down the road and they had to compete. There is also a 19 hour fitness close by and they are charging $7.00 a month. It is clean and the equipment is in good shape. This is a high volume place during the early morning and late evening. During lunch there might be 15 people in there.

Glenn

i would highly recomend the insanity workout video's. they are the most hardcore exercises i have ever done, hand down! its also mostly legs and core body, which are perfect for backpack training.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Hate to promote competitors, but if you have a Planet Fitness or a World's Gym Express, you can get decent equipment for $10 a month. Can be crowded at peak times, but sure is nice to have the motivating environment gyms can provide.

OP
T
Thanks for the input guys!

Becca - I made a high step out of scrap lumber I used to use with my pack but got tired of the repetitive steps and staying in the same place so that is why I go to the local high school stadium now. Also, my wife has step aerobic videos, but I feel dorky enough doing P90x, LOL.

Robby - I looked into Planet Fitness, but the location in town is not convenient for me and didn't see me using it very much. Also, I would perfer to go on my way home from work and the place is a mad house at that time

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
TFE, post us a video of you doing your wife's aerobic tapes. This is gonna be good.

Yes, Planet Fitness can be crowded. Which city are you in?

mohawk32

Lil-Rokslider
TFE, post us a video of you doing your wife's aerobic tapes. This is gonna be good.

Now that's funny. I'm not afraid to admit when I want to change things up I wander into the "body combat" class and make a fool out of myself. But the "scenery" is always nice. There will NOT be any video of that.

I work where there are tall buildings and my toolbag is a pack. I do pushups stairs curls tri-extensions n pullups. At home i have a few dumbells barbells bench and dip station. Running too. The best thing is fruits for breakfast n veggies for lunch.

JNDEER

WKR
Some free weights
A tredmil at home
Insanity DVD or any other (like the P90x) and you can really get a good variety of stuff to do.

I really like the home tredmil as I can hike at an incline with a full pack watching my hunting DVD's!

OP
T

Yes, Planet Fitness can be crowded. Which city are you in?

I don't do the aerobic videos, i just made a step I would do outside in the backyard with my pack on, but that wasnt very fun and the dog kept barking at me ... LOL. I live in Charleston, SC so there arent many hills around so I have to improvise. I don't think anything will prepare me for the change in elevation, but i am atleast trying to train my legs and back for the steep terrain.

Kerry

FNG
Hi,
You can do rope jumping, sprinting, hiking, jumping, jogging at same place, dragging sand bags and running stairs to lose weight without getting gym membership. Besides workout do focus ion your diet also and prefer raw food over processed food.

Treadmills are a waste of money IMO.. You can't tell me there is no place to run where you live, I just don't buy it... Not only that, but why run on a treadmill when you can run outside? No matter the weather it is just plain better. If you live somewhere that is very very cold, I could understand. Several years ago when I was new to the military, our commander told everyone in our unit that there is no excuse for not being in shape. He said all's you need is a pair of shoes, shorts and a T-shirt. All of which most people have... I agree with that statement. A gym membership is not needed. With a little creativity, regular jogging/running and a good diet, anyone can get in shape. Determination is something you can't buy.