Training with full kit.....

TEmbry

WKR
I walk the dog w my old Kelty pack with a 60lb bag of cement in it...but that pack is terribly uncomfortable.

Looking forward to my Kifaru order coming in, and will be loading it similar to the method you describe.

Yeah Ive been struggling with this clothing issue for a while. I really dont have the funds to put down 400 dollars on a top hunting suite. So trying to get by with what I can. Also Colorado the weather can change on a dime at 9500 feet. So I have to prepare for Warm and Cold weather. So really like to hear how other hunters handle this.

And with the Food, Mountain house is big and bulky in the bags plus air tight limits how much you can compress them. So how are others working that out for 7 to 10 days in the field?

Thanks
quite a few folks on here are going no mountain house this year and prep and dehyd their own meals. i barely have time to pack so MH it is, i always let all the air out when i pack them. and i pack each days food in a gallon ziplock.

as for clothing only changes i bring are socks and undies, everything else does not get doubled up on. i used to way over pack on clothes like what if i get cold, what if i get wet, what if...

Ray

WKR
Shtf, for food it can depend on what you have learned about what your body needs. Rules of thumb are 100 grams of carbs for each hour of intense work. Walking or general hiking would not be intense work. An hour of soccer would be. Another rule of thumb is 90 grams of protein per day.
Another rule is that don't carry any food that does not have 100 calories per ounce or more. Nuts and fats, dried fruits are good. A lot of folks shoot for 1 pound of food (dry weight) per day as a starting point.

As for clothes, there are a few options. Cabelas microtex pants and shirts are a very good product for the money. On sale right now. I have seen dozens of photos online with guys wearing these while holding their sheep, elk, and deer trophies. They work and don't cost $$$$.

Basic fleece works well for all kinds of hunting.

unm1136

WKR
Yeah Ive been struggling with this clothing issue for a while. I really dont have the funds to put down 400 dollars on a top hunting suite. So trying to get by with what I can. Also Colorado the weather can change on a dime at 9500 feet. So I have to prepare for Warm and Cold weather. So really like to hear how other hunters handle this.

And with the Food, Mountain house is big and bulky in the bags plus air tight limits how much you can compress them. So how are others working that out for 7 to 10 days in the field?

Thanks

I split it between MH and home made/home dried foods. It all depends on how much prep time I can devote, with three kids, a full time student wife, and a dog. Plus Rokslide may revoke my membership if I admit that there are actually several MH meals that I actually look forward to, as a treat when I am in the woods.

I watched Aron's packing video and had an idea. Last year I bought a set of KU pods. I love these things. When I get back from my turkey trip in two weeks I will put up pictures of how I am using them. I put the food in gallon size zip locs, one for each day like the other guys. Then I put the food in a Pod. The small looks to work for a 2-3 day trip, the med looks like it could do 5-7 days, and the large looks like a 10 day plus setup. I pull the drawstring tight, like you would with a stuff sack, and use the webbing to tighten and shape the package into a football, or elongated shape. The female portions of the airlock buckles are threaded through the male portions where they attach to the webbing, so I can secure the straps to each other and get some compression. Now, if I need to put meat in my pack, to pack out, I pull out my food pod and re-attach the air locks to the body or frame of my pack, and truck on. I may do the same thing for clothes and rain wear, or I may pick up a Kifaru Stuff Sack. Since the sleeping bag compartment of my EMR is just a hair too small for my 20 degree slumberjack, hammock, tarp, and underquilt, the sleeping bag may go in the large pod, and be compressed and ride in the body of my pack, or be mounted to the exterior of the bag, too.

I am really liking how versatile the KU pods are. They can act like strappy stuff sacks, they can act like semi-compression sacks, and they can be carried inside or attached to the outside of my pack. I went deer hunting last year with a Marauder, the large pod holding my sleeping bag, hammock, underquilt, and tarp; my medium one holding food, and my small one had my puffy jacket and socks.

They also look like they may not be too difficult to DIY for those so inclined. I asked on the Kifaru Boards if they were going away with the KU3700 and 5200s, and am waiting for an answer.

pat

Last edited:

unm1136

WKR
Another weight saving idea that I am playing with is canned chili. I know, since it is not dehydrated, it will be heavy to pack in, plus the can. A book I have on sausage making recommended putting the chili in a synthetic sausage skin, tying it off, and carrying it in that way. No can to dispose of and the sausage skin is lighter, and biodegradable. I am also playing in that way with Corned Beef Hash. Sausage skins are starting to show some real promise for food that I want to haul in fresh. I guess putting them in ziplocks would be just as easy, but the ziplocks need to be packed out, and the wife likes going to the freezer, pulling out a log of corned beef hash, thawing, slicing, and panfrying at home on the weekends.

pat

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Plus Rokslide may revoke my membership if I admit that there are actually several MH meals that I actually look forward to, as a treat when I am in the woods.

Not to worry Pat, we are still big time MH fans at our house so if they start revoking memberships you won't be alone :)

Considering the time it takes to dehydrate it yourself, and the sheer volume of meals I need for the two of us each season, I don't see dehydrating my own meals as being cost or time effective, at least for us. I already spend hours sorting, counting, and measuring backpacking food.

We discovered the Natural High brand of entrees last season, their cheese Enchillada meals are killer!

Sorry for the tangent from the OP....

Manosteel

WKR
Thanks Riz first Time Ive seen that one. But I cant find part 2 where he loads the pack. Would love to see that one. ok so Im overpacking on the clothing. So will cut that down. Mean time. Ive got some great trading goods that are for sale so maybe I can pull enough out of the stuff to get me a good pair of hunting pants to work with. As for the Food. I need to get more into that more also. I love his idea of putting each days meals in a seperate bag. Thats a good system.

unm I have the large Pod. I was considering using that for my food also. Right now I have my sleeping mat in it. But I may switch that out. Thanks again guys.

Rizzy find me part 2 of Arons Vid. I want to see him load that =-) And I have everything that he basically has substitues on some stuff.

On the food for backcountry - check out YouTube and what the ultra-light backpackers are doing. Lots of great infor their.

Jager

WKR
Just a quick note on food when in the bush. Generally the food that is taken into the field is way different too a persons normal at home diet. If your body is not used to the backpacking food you may really struggle with energy from the sudden change.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Just a quick note on food when in the bush. Generally the food that is taken into the field is way different too a persons normal at home diet. If your body is not used to the backpacking food you may really struggle with energy from the sudden change.

Thanks Jagger. Ive eaten my fair share of mountain house meals. Definitely well accustomed to Dehydrated meals. Checking out that natural high stuff on the web now =-).

Another weight saving idea that I am playing with is canned chili. I know, since it is not dehydrated, it will be heavy to pack in, plus the can. A book I have on sausage making recommended putting the chili in a synthetic sausage skin, tying it off, and carrying it in that way. No can to dispose of and the sausage skin is lighter, and biodegradable. I am also playing in that way with Corned Beef Hash. Sausage skins are starting to show some real promise for food that I want to haul in fresh. I guess putting them in ziplocks would be just as easy, but the ziplocks need to be packed out, and the wife likes going to the freezer, pulling out a log of corned beef hash, thawing, slicing, and panfrying at home on the weekends.

pat
ha, badass!!! theres a good chance i might try this for some scouting or summer trips