Training Lab to be Soft-Mouthed?

Looking for advice here - I have a lab who's just over a year old, and overall am pretty happy with her for the amount of work I've put in, even if it's pretty basic. I just realized she's chomping on what she's retrieving, but hadn't really noticed it before because of what I've been throwing her and because it somewhat stops as she gets up to me. Unfortunately it just got pretty obvious and much worse recently.

Anyone have any advice, or places/resources they can point me to, on training her out of this? I'm concerned she'll damage the birds.

TBarron

WKR
Next couple of birds you kill throw them whole in the deep freezer and use them for practicing retrieves. They won’t bite down as hard on them if they’re cold and hard and will learn to start holding them with their mouth more open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KurtR

WKR
Force fetch starting with hold conditioning . Some dogs its just genetic and you wont fix it. Dont do the frozen thing it will make a mouthy dog even more mouthy . Its one of those things either you really learn how to train a dog, send it to a pro or just deal with it

Macintosh

WKR
@KurtR what is the go-to resource for this? I have done this with all my dogs but always had the benefit of a friend who is a pretty accomplished pro trainer. To me it is the one area where I will unhesitatingly plan to get training help.

OP, if the term force fetch has a stigma for you, dont let it—its a game changer in so many ways and really misunderstood by so many people. But having owned my last dog (macintosh is my most recent dog) who my trainer friend variably called “the great white shark”, “the velociraptor” and “jaws”, I will say you should address it sooner rather than later, and dont do a half-assed job of it, do it right and dont be afraid to get some help. Its one of those things that naturally only goes in one direction, and that isnt the direction you want. Ff is teaching the act of holding and retrieving using commands which can then be enforced—if those arent learned acts associated with a command they cannot be enforced or corrected. It also has other benefits, but it gives you the foundation to manage it throughout the dogs life.

TSAMP

WKR
So I'm not a lab guy but I recently noticed my older dog started to really hard mouth training birds. This began when I added a second dog and I think it's based on a couple factors but it seems like he was just trying to keep them for himself and generally maximize the time he had with them. I started to just add more birds and pick up a rapid fire pace. Tossing the next bird before he comes back with the first.

He realized quickly he didn't have alot of time if he wants the second bird he had to get the first one back quick.

I noticed immediate improvements, and am still working through it.

Might he worth a shot for ya.

KurtR

WKR
@KurtR what is the go-to resource for this? I have done this with all my dogs but always had the benefit of a friend who is a pretty accomplished pro trainer. To me it is the one area where I will unhesitatingly plan to get training help.

OP, if the term force fetch has a stigma for you, dont let it—its a game changer in so many ways and really misunderstood by so many people. But having owned my last dog (macintosh is my most recent dog) who my trainer friend variably called “the great white shark”, “the velociraptor” and “jaws”, I will say you should address it sooner rather than later, and dont do a half-assed job of it, do it right and dont be afraid to get some help. Its one of those things that naturally only goes in one direction, and that isnt the direction you want. Ff is teaching the act of holding and retrieving using commands which can then be enforced—if those arent learned acts associated with a command they cannot be enforced or corrected. It also has other benefits, but it gives you the foundation to manage it throughout the dogs life.
Its hard to pick a go to there are bunch of good ones out there. Freddy King , Lone Duck, even grahm, Lardy, Hillman has a form. I think the key is to pick one and stick to it.

This is the first dog I ff and its seems daunting at first but once i got into it what it showed me is how to really read the dog. After having done it i feel I did all my other dogs a disservice and left so much potential on the table with them.

Ya people really dont understand that ff is the foundation of all Rex Carr training style. It is where dogs learn to turn pressure on and off and how when you get to a point in training and a dog doesnt want to do something you have a way for them to understand they need to push though and do it.

MJB

WKR
I've used the frozen birds and it works on some dogs.

You can also do water retrieves and get to the dog before it gets to land.

But it's a Lab and force fetch is a must, join a retrieve club and train with them. Well worth the time and cost.

Get him on birds this season along with other dogs and have fun, most of all don't get frustrated.
Worry about training after the season.

Spoonbill

WKR
Not sure if you are giving your dog tennis balls or chew toys that squeak to play with but I have been told that can contribute to a dog chomping on birds. They get used to rolling a tennis ball and chomping down on squeaking toys.
My lab is pretty hard on smaller birds and people I trust gave me this advice. It could be bs but may be worth a try.

sjwfarms

WKR
Agree 100% on the force fetch thing. Sometimes it takes a pro for this part of the training. Also agree that some dogs are just hard mouthed regardless. I've had one and it's frustrating as hell.

Having just been through the dove opener in the south. Sometimes the best dogs have a hard time being soft mouthed on small birds that tend to lose feathers easily, (doves, quail etc) Best to leave training birds to hardier species such as ducks/pheasants for this reason.

best of luck with the pup.