Trailer Alternative

dylanvb

Lil-Rokslider
What’s up Rokslide, my wife keeps asking me to take her camping and as much as I would love too the current tent set up we have is not really practical nor is it something I want to deal with. We are in the process of getting a 2017 F350 4x4 and I was wondering what are the options I have for a family of 3 plus 2 German shepherds. I’m trying to stay away from trailers even though they are the better option I just can’t afford one yet. I’m looking for something that would work for the family but also for myself and a hunting buddy. I’m looking at tents, cab over tents, cab over campers honestly anything that’s not too expensive to get the family outdoors more and be somewhat comfortable.

JLane330

Lil-Rokslider
Kodiak Flex Bow tent. 10x10 is plenty big enough, but they also make a 10x14. Used a 10x10 for many years and love those tents. Bought a 10x14 and ended up selling it, just wasn't using it and it was much bigger than I really needed.

Gazelle T4 is pretty sweet. I think Academy also makes a knock-off of the same design as well. It sets up in about 60 seconds if I really take my time. I got my gazelle for like 200$ off of facebook.

wapitibob

WKR
Going thru this myself after selling my Nash 17k last summer.

Sleeping on the ground isn't gonna last long with the wife, nor you when you get older. Pain in the ass having to pack all your stuff in totes, cook in the wind/rain etc.

Jumping Jacks are $10,000, no amenities, and windy. Pack all your gear just like tent camping.

Popups have some amenities but your wife isn't gonna use that "toilet", and they're windy. Some storage but not a lot.

I had an older L:ance 10'6 truck camper on my f350. Manual jacks were a slight pain but not really. I drug that thing all over the West. Perfect for 2 if you both use sleeping bags in the upper bed section. Mine was full width of the shell so no spooning needed. Way too small for two dogs in my opinion.

That leaves pull trailers. They're expensive as hell now, that's the biggest problem with them. No real downside; all your gear is stowed and ready, just hook up and go. A bunkhouse will have room for the dogs on the btm, the top bunk becomes storage. When you and a buddy go hunt, he gets the lower bunk so you aren't tearing down the dinette. Cost for a decent build will be upper 30's, a top end unit like a Nash 24b is gonna be upper 40's. Keystone Bullet is a good build and really light, upper 40's though. I had a Nash 17k and pulled it with my F150. Perfect for me and wife, not so much when I took a friend hunting, he had to sleep on the dinette.

dtrkyman

WKR
Topper on the back of the truck and I would go with a Gazelle also, set up time is virtually nothing!

It sounds like you are looking to stay away from trailers but , have you looked into customizing an enclosed cargo trailer? I have a 7x16 that has everything I need in it except the toilet and sink and for a fairly minimal cost (compard to a regular travel trailer). If you haven't already hop on the interwebs and google enclosed camp trailer.

JLane330

Lil-Rokslider
I made an assumption of what camping means, but really should ask the question, what does camping mean to you and your wife? For me, it's BLM or USFS land typically (sometimes state park) and almost always primitive style. I've noticed that some areas of the country, camping is an RV camp ground and all travel is asphalt. These are extreme opposites in my mind and the answer can really dictate your direction.

OP
D

dylanvb

Lil-Rokslider
The wife is totally fine dry camping in the desert and has no problem being without running water for the week.
I should also mention that we have horses and a horse trailer that I would haul on certain outings to do some pack in hunts and camping

AZ8

WKR
Gazelle T4 is pretty sweet. I think Academy also makes a knock-off of the same design as well. It sets up in about 60 seconds if I really take my time. I got my gazelle for like 200$ off of facebook.

That Gazelle is pretty slick. Be perfect for a quick overnight/weekend trip.

NB7

WKR
Kodiak Flex Bow tent. 10x10 is plenty big enough, but they also make a 10x14. Used a 10x10 for many years and love those tents. Bought a 10x14 and ended up selling it, just wasn't using it and it was much bigger than I really needed.
10x14 flex bow.

If you think a tent is to much to deal with you sure af don't want any style of camper.
Short of going all in on a wall tent, this is a great option. Far nicer than a regular nylon type tent. Easy to set up even by yourself. I can put mine up in under 15 minutes start to finish by myself and that's not hurrying. My wife was never much for camping until I took her out with one of these and a decent air mattress with foam topper. If you can dial in the rest of your camping equipment to make things nice you won't want to have to trailer anything when you've got one of these.

Other than the tent pole bag which is still pretty small, my 10x14 folds up to the size of a suitcase and stores easy

JLane330

Lil-Rokslider
The wife is totally fine dry camping in the desert and has no problem being without running water for the week.
I should also mention that we have horses and a horse trailer that I would haul on certain outings to do some pack in hunts and camping

Well, in that case, can you camp in the horse trailer? Even an open style horse trailer isn't bad. The only thing I didn't like about the tent was loading/unloading it, leveling the ground to set it up (or trying to find a flat spot), and when it's muddy out...can't really set it up. Otherwise it sounds like a good tent is in your future since you have a horse trailer to tow (or, I suppose a camper shell/slide in on the truck is a tongue pull trailer).
final thought, how about upgrading the horse trailer to one with sleeping quarters if you don't have that already? Might not be "fit" for RV park camping with the snooty people, but doesn't sound like that'd matter anyways.

There hard to find but a buddy found a pop up camper with 2 king beds for $1500 needed a little work but they sleep high and dry with heat and a hot shower.

isu22andy

WKR
I have no good advice to add other than there’s something about sitting a camper in hail that makes you glad your not in a tent .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cabover campers can be had fairly cheap if you are patient and the truck you are getting will be great for it. Another plus is you can get in and out of tight spots with them.

If you are handy with tools, id second the idea posted above of customizing an enclosed trailer. Ive seen some pretty sweet setups that guys have done themselves. A bit of a time investment but you can have a pretty cool set up that way without spending a fortune.

OP
D

dylanvb

Lil-Rokslider
Well, in that case, can you camp in the horse trailer? Even an open style horse trailer isn't bad. The only thing I didn't like about the tent was loading/unloading it, leveling the ground to set it up (or trying to find a flat spot), and when it's muddy out...can't really set it up. Otherwise it sounds like a good tent is in your future since you have a horse trailer to tow (or, I suppose a camper shell/slide in on the truck is a tongue pull trailer).
final thought, how about upgrading the horse trailer to one with sleeping quarters if you don't have that already? Might not be "fit" for RV park camping with the snooty people, but doesn't sound like that'd matter anyways.
Yeah that’s also another reason why just a regular trailer isn’t an option because in the future we are planning on getting a horse trailer with sleeping quarters. Only problem with those is when you get to 4,5 horses they become looooong. Isn’t to much of an issue for what my wife wants but hauling that into certain hunting spots is asking for trouble.
I like all the recommendations I am reading so thank you guys. Will definitely be doing my research to see what options I have.