Trad

Love that hat pic Old Goat. I have a few friends that have used those on Kodiak for deer and elk hunting

I used to have a bunch of pics with the dekes, lost them on my last laptop..

Great point on humans not moving naturally in the woods. It’s so hard to slow down to the level we actually need to. Everything else in our lives tell us to go go go.

Back to the original post. I mostly whitetail hunt, with some mule deer and antelope. Recurve out of my saddle. Hunt east river SD (creeks, crop land, river breaks). Focused on getting under 20 yard from crossing trails either in close proximity to doe bedding or buck bedding areas. I pay the utmost attention to wind/thermals/wind tunnels and try to use them to my advantage. Made a couple mistakes, but almost always had decent bucks with every sit this year. I paid particular close attention to primary scrape areas and was within or close to shooting distance of them.

The primary scrapes have to be in thick security cover to get mature deer to get close to them. I have one great one, just outside of the good cover, and the big boys always circle around me just out of range right in that cover. The worst part about that is where I can sit there is absolutely bomb proof, but only works for bucks under 2.5 because the old ones want the extra brush.
I shoulder shot One at 22 yards, he dropped a little (I was aiming heart) but must have pulled it a little forward and just clipped the shoulder blade. Overall it wasn’t a terrible shot, just not perfect. Second shot was a miss because my lower limb clipped the tree, I need to shoot more out of the saddle. Third shot was clean miss. I think I peaked and just pulled it high.

I found it easy to get drawn in deer with the recurve. I can draw so slow and smooth and quiet. I shoot roughly 46lb.and with my good form I can hold that for 30 seconds and still make a decent shot under 20 yards.

As to the discussion with decoys. I want to rattle creek/river hottom bedding with a decoy like they do down south. I came across some good articles on it a while back. I know this will not be affective as my usual set ups, but it would be a blast and may be the only way to pull some mature bucks out of nasty bedding since they are generally in there well before legal light. With tight cover and the river as a back stop I should be able to get them in close for a shot (in theory). Using the decoy also helps get away with some movement when they are close, because they are expecting it.

Hammered fresh sign. Scrapes that were worked with in hours. Not all sign is created equal, that is for sure. Sign in the cover I am more drawn to also, much better chance of seeing deer in daylight.

I’ve never had great success rattling, but I probably haven’t gone about it the right way, and I plan to change that. I will find an article I was told about and post it and try his techniques. I’ve grunted in more bucks then I can count though. Blind and after Seeing them. I never hunt without a grunt tube.

We had incredible success with rattling last year in one mid western spot we were hunting on public ground. The problem we had is there was no trees so the set up was crucial. There was wads of tall brush that made it difficult to get a shot. Pair that with the fact that when they do come in they are looking for you.
Yeah they makes it tough. That is when having a decoy of some kind would be beneficial. I may get a heads up one before the year that I can strap to my bow. I have a spot that is real close quarters it would work great at. Help my get drawn at least. I plan to hunt out west a little too in some open country, might help me get away with a little there too. Just depends on their mood.

So much of these forms is about equipment and very little about tactics.

How about we talk about the tactics you incorporate into your stick bowhunting?

Personally, I saw a big jump in success when adjusting my thinking going from a compound bow to a recurve. Now I think much shorter range.

I spend more time now analyzing the animal sign and the habitat to try and figure out what they are doing. I have to be more patient with my recurve. I can’t force the issue as I could with a compound where I could make a lot longer shots.

Stalking is harder.... but also more rewarding when it works. I find myself planning more ambushes.

Not much changes in my world... I have always preferred to get as close as possible with my compound. I can only think of a couple of my critters that were not well within stick bow range.

I do have terrain on my side here on the coast, but even more open stuff, I assume just get really close.
I have never been one to get within 50yds and take the first shot I get. The possibility of shooting usually doesn’t even cross my mind until I’m closing in on 30 and in.

I have never been a horn chaser, and more of the trophy is within the encounter... I wait all year for that super up close encounter, I want the encounter to stick out in my mind, and the closer you get, the more vivid that memory is.

I don’t often sneak all the way to bow range because it’s usually not the highest percentage thing to do... I’m more of a dynamic ambush hunter or caller. I like to stalk into a good ambush (basically cut them off) If it doesn’t work out, the animal likely never knew I was around, and I can just start over, they are still in play..... blow a stalk and you blow up the whole situation, game over.

I figure if I don’t bump them, I get to keep chasing them... if I over commit, then I have to start over.

the only difference for me with a trad bow in the woods is when I can draw, and actually shooting the bow... it’s all me, no catching features like a compound is full of.... no let off, no peep, no pins, no limb stops, no mechanical release, etc... that’s the big difference.

also have to be a lot more cognizant in regards to your limb tips... a 64” bow is a lot different than a 32” bow. Hit a limb tip on a branch when you shoot, the arrow isn’t going where you want it to... I learned that the first bull I shot at with my recurve, and it’s a painful lesson

It has been referenced. But being confident at closer ranges and having the patience to just pass and maybe pass a lot. Being aware of and accepting certain limitations, and being content with those limitations. Also if you want to improve range or be more versatile, spend the time in the off season. Leave hunting season and actual shots taken at animals to only shots you have supreme confidence in. Also thinking more long term as it relates to shot opportunities, and not getting lost in the disappointment of a single season.

Also relax and enjoy the experience. Try not to get too wound up.

(I realized I didn't post actual tactics, more mental approach)

Last edited:
where we were rattling on public ground in the Midwest it was brushy with no trees to speak of. We did use a decoy a Montana decoy the problem with that one big buck they came in did you don’t know the direction.

it’s not like elk where you can hear them and know that they are coming from a general direction. this big buck that came in was 90 deg to the decoy so it was 1/4 inch thick and he could not see it.

it really sucked having one of the biggest whitetails I have seen on the horse at seven pieces and there was no way I could shoot.

now we take extra time with our set ups. It’s hard to do and time consuming especially when most of the time nothing comes in but do you have to force yourself to do it.

It is all about the set up that is for sure. A few part hunts come to mind. Most of them were close, but no cigar. Wind has to be right with something blocking their movement to funnel them towards you. Or at least in a direction where you can set up on. And even then, they can surprise you in the direction they show up.

I hunt the same with both. Never been a long range shooter so tactics have always been the same no matter what I hunt with. I never “long” for a long range archery shot. I’ve let countless animals walk at what most would think are short ranges.

Archery is an attitude, the bow doesn’t define it.

Scouting and setting up in the right spot for a close shot. I generally setup for a 15 yard shot. If they are at 20 no big deal, if at 10 yards even better! I do hunt from the ground some but find my chances of getting drawn are way better from the tree with deer and elk in Trad bow range. Hogs are much easier to stalk and shoot from the ground.

Now I'm itching to get out in the woods. We're having an early thaw up here so I should get my wish soon.

Back