tracking dogs for wounded bears question

Thegman

WKR
Yes there are dogs that can track that but a lot of them will not use them to track a wounded bear… From what you described you did everything right bears are the toughest animal I have encountered and you hunt them long enough you will lose one no matter how ethical you are.
I've found them to be the same. If they don't die quickly, they may well not die at all. This just happens sometimes, and a similar experience is actually why I bought the dog I did and trained her to track.

I'm not sure my dog would be able to follow after the rain, but I'd bet it would at least be a 50/50 chance she could figure it out. Most of the time I have no idea what scents she's following. There doesn't need to be a visible blood trail, she seems to pick up a lot of clues that are invisible to me.

I think it would have been worth giving a good tracking dog a try. Some have amazing abilities. 20220928_165906.jpgResized_20220911_131708(1).jpeg

Wellsdw

WKR
IMG_5132.jpeg

Run a tracking dog and as stated above it depends on the dog, the rain, the scent and multiple other factors.
This deer was recovered after roughly an inch of rain, (that came down extremely hard) in a short period of time. One thing that was working in the dogs favor was the deer was jumped prior to rain, So the dog knew the scent. As far as tracking a bear, vs deer I’d be Leary but open to it, depending on cover, terrain and etc for safety reasons. But would the dog do it, Id say absolutely, I trained my dog to track whatever I tell him too, the type of scent ins irrelevant. It’s the command he is looking for, and the kong at the end…..

johnnycake

Lil-Rokslider
Not every tracking dog is willing to track bears. When looking for help in teaching a wounded bear, always ask if the dog has blood tracked bears successfully before. 20211007_110117.jpg