tough mudder

bnsafe

WKR
does anybody do tough mudder, is it really as hard as it looks. im thinkin about trying.

CaseyU

WKR
I do not but a couple of guys on my crew do and love it. THe thing you have to remember is your not trying to win your trying to finish. They do it with their wives and a big group of people. Make custom shirts. Dress wild. They have a ball. Get dirty. finish. and then drink beer with a great croud of people

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
it is not that hard if you are doing it in a group.....if you dont get out in the first couple of waves, it is a pretty slow event. I am doing one in june just to hang out with people from work. we are going out in the second wave so it will be fairly competitive.

Owens

Lil-Rokslider
My opinion... if you are in decent shape it is not as hard as it looks. I did it last year in Beaver Creek. To get ready, I did a boot camp class at a local rec center the five weeks leading up to the event. Before that class, I ran 3-5 days per week, probably 4-6 mile runs.

You can push as hard as you want. I ran all the down hill parts and walked most of the up hill sections. I did it solo without a team and got help on a couple obstacles from other runners. It's not timed, but I finished in around 3 & 1/2 hours.

I have already registered to do it again in Beaver Creek this year and will have at least a couple teammates from my boot camp class this year. I think it will be more fun with a team. I have also exchanged pm's with another Rokslide member about running this year.

OP
B

bnsafe

WKR
sounds great guys, im excited. i was in great shape for a 41 yr old last year but have not maintained with a move and away from my workout routine. im really thinkin about challenging myself and doin it just to see. im a little worried about doing it myself because of the hurdles. but i may anyway. thanks for the thoughts, any others

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
bnsafe, the obstacles always have other competitors there and they will all help each other over them. Some of the obstacles you can't get over by your self anyway. Generally you get help up and over, then stay and help a couple prior to moving on. Fairly helpful bunch of people.

I've done 2. Whistler and Seattle. Let me tell you this. Where you do it really determines your opinion on the "quality" of the race. I'd heard Whistler was the toughest course they've ever created. Let me tell you...I trained hard for it, and it was the most physically difficult thing I've ever had to accomplish. Seattle, I didn't train as hard and smoked it. I credit this completely too the elevation gain at Whistler. I had a really good time at both, but I echo the sentiments of getting out early if you are serious about it (which most of us were). We went in the second wave both times and was able to maintain a pretty good pace. We finished in about three hours for both. It's definitely a "team" game though, so make sure you have partners in the same physical shape as yourself. If you have any other questions, just shoot me a PM.