Tough decision

I usually take off the entire first week of our rifle elk season her in WA, and there is normally between 3 and 6 of us in camp. I currently have a 15x21 Canvas Cabins wall tent that has dual stove jacks (if it gets really cold), a heavy vinyl tarp floor, 6 cots, and for when there's more than 4 of us in camp, I designed a 10 ft extension off the front with a wooden door for cooking, ice chests, and firewood. Now, I love my wall tent, and you absolutely can't beat it for comfort when you're elk hunting for a week, but man it's huge, doesn't go up in 20 minutes, weighs a LOT when you count the inner frame, stakes, floor, wood stoves(s), tarp on roof, etc. I'm giving serious consideration to purchasing a large (12 - 16 man) tipi to replace it with. I realize that with a wall tent, that virtually every inch of floor space is usable, and that isn't the case with a tipi. If I do it, I'll probably hang onto the wall tent through this season and try it with the tipi before I sell the wall tent and then realize that I made a mistake. But by the same token, I can see where a big tipi would be more likely to be used for a 3 day deer hunt, camp trip etc., where I'm just reluctant to take all of the wall tent stuff with me and set it up for anything less than 4 days.

I'm looking for some feedback from you guys to help me decide, if you've made the switch in either direction, share your thoughts and experience so that I can make a more informed decision. Thanks

Cous, What you can't put up that mansion in 20min?!?! It has an internal frame doesn't it?
Honestly given the cost of a large tipi, I'd just get better at setting up the wall tent.
But with that said, I picked up that 14x14 Beckel TT tent (modified square tipi) from Old Salt for like $300. It does well for smaller groups and sets up in a flash. Just an idea on a cheap solution for smaller group hunts.

But I have to admit, a HUGE tipi would be pretty cool to try. Can they be rented to try?
Hunt'nFish
Hunt'nFish

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
I can set mine up in less than 10 minutes. It's the shit:)
amaza5av.jpg

Tents are like boats, no one does everything and you need a family of boats.

The tipi won't replace the wall tent or vice versa.

Sounds to me like your ready to grow the family.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
Tents are like boats, no one does everything and you need a family of boats.

The tipi won't replace the wall tent or vice versa.

Sounds to me like your ready to grow the family.

Totally agree! I have two Wall tents, 12 man, sawtooth and a super tarp. I use all of them. I like the 12 man when I'm by myself or only setting up for a few days. The wall tent is much more involved so I use it for longer stays or when it's really cold.

colonel00

WKR
We have an Alaknak from Cabela's that we like for hunts that we can drive up to. I believe ours is 12x12 so that might be a little tight for 6 guys but the 12x20 should be fine. Get a vestibule to go with it and you would have plenty of room. Just a different option to throw out there as a quasi-tipi option.

Oh, and they have a stove jack and you can unzip a section of floor to use a stove too.

wyoming+004.jpg

Copy+of+008_19A.JPG