Total pack weight for 10 days.

TaperPin

WKR
Great list - it‘s easier to know where to save weight when it’s right there in front of you. Luckily you have a number of things that might be a little heavy and saving weight should be easy.

Is your food weight a little light? It’s almost impossible to get more than 100 calories per ounce - at 22 ounces per day that’s probably less than 2000 calories a day? Some don’t mind loosing weight on a trip, but I like to have a wide variety of different things and eat as many calories as possible.

Not always, but often, a lighter item works just as well. I used to hunt in custom heavy logger style boots that were the most comfortable boots ever and it was hard to embrace nylon hikers, but they not only save overall weight, but one less pound on your feet is like four less pounds in the pack. I went too light and a flexible arch just hurt my feet, but I found a model that was only a few ounces more and I’ve since gone through 10 pairs over a couple decades.

This must be for an elk hunt based on the heavy game bag weight?

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
And then when you're on your trip, the mind is always thinking about ways to cut weight, what you need, what you don't need, etc, etc.
It doesn't matter what I do or what I change out, my pack always seems to be about 40 pounds. That's without a weapon or bino harness.

Randy

OP
T

thatguy

FNG
I should mention. This is for 2nd season elk starting next weekend. I am a cold sleeper. I realize there's several areas that I can shed weight. For food I bought a bunch of freeze dried meals. Mainly living on those. Made it a point to focus on buying high calorie meals. I am also bringing several trail mixes. For water I have a gravity filter plus using two liters to carry with me. Note the side list where I am going to upgrade gear to loose weight. Just don't have the funds right now. I should also mention snow is in the forecast next Saturday for where I am going.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

The_Jim

Lil-Rokslider
@thatguy You’ll get so many different opinions in here. None are wrong, you just have to go for it and see what works for you. I just plain run cold and have to make sure I bring enough layers to keep me warm. Hell, even in September I’ll wear puffy pants glassing. Being cold sucks and if your cold, wet, and hungry there’s a good chance you’ll throw the towel in early.

Solitude

WKR
My advice, load it up and go on a brisk 5-7 mile loop by your house…..it might help you make a decision on a few items.

Take everything I have to say with a grain of salt, because different strokes for different folks right? For a completely backpack access hunt I think that’s way too heavy. I aim for a gear weight that I can carry comfortably all day. IE, pack that doesn’t hurt or slow me down. I’m about your size and for me that’s around 50 lbs total skin-out weight, depending on season and how much water I’m carrying, so that’s what I do.

Looking at your list, a lot of your stuff is heavy but oh well, that’s what you own. If you’ve got money to burn buy some lighter shit. If not, I would leave behind literally everything that is not required to survive and succeed. Looking at your list that’s a lot. The low hanging fruit is:

Solar panel. One battery pack should suffice for 10 days, put your phone in airplane and turn it off at night. Ive gone 14 days with no battery pack. If you’re doing a ton of digiscoping, a second battery pack is lighter than this panel or they make lighter panels. You’re packing your fears here.

Tent light. You already have a headlamp, plus cell phone light.

Knife sharpener. Get a havalon with a couple blades, or a $10 Amazon scalpel.

Gut Knife. See above, they make a scalpel gut hook if you really can’t gut with normal knife.

Zzzquil - half a pound? You must be guzzling this stuff. Don’t they make pills that do the same?

Pants, belt wallet 48 ounces… don’t know what to say here other than why does this weigh so much and why are you bringing a wallet at all? All of this should total less than half that weight at most.

Paper towels.

Bear spray. You have a rifle, make it quicker to access. If there’s not grizzlies where you’re at I wouldn’t bring it, but if you’re solo hunting I totally understand why you’d want it.

ozyclint

WKR
What are you guys carrying for food??:eek:

"20lbs for 10 days"
"1.4lbs per day"

Mate and I are both at 1lb/day including minimized packaging for 12-13 day hunts in NZ.