Torso Length and Pack Fit

jmez

WKR
I'm still pretty new to packs and currently have a Blue Widow. It works ok for now.

Not many of the packs I tried on felt like they fit me very well. Only 6ft tall but have a torso length of 21 1/2, I think that is long? I would have to assume most all production packs are made to fit a certain torso length and that would be the most common size within a population. Pretty much all of them I tried felt/feel too short. If 21 1/2 is long is any production pack going to fit well? I would guess the frame is the most important part but don't know how this equates to different torso lengths. They can't really be a "one size fits all."

drthornton

Lil-Rokslider
I a about 6'5" and have a 21.5" torso length....I use a Badlands 2200 and a 2011 KUIU ICON 6000. The KUIU is extremely flexible in it's torso length....I am toward the upper end but not maxed out on that pack.

OP
jmez

jmez

WKR
The Blacks Creek and Tenzig are both pretty similar. Have tried both of them on. When they are on the longest setting the waist belt barley touches the very tops of my hip bones. They are not made for a longer fit. I really like how both packs are set up pocket and zipper wise. Would have bought the Blacks Creek over the Eberlestock but it didn't fit.

One of the things I'm wondering is about frame size. With the adjustment the frame size doesn't change, basically the only thing that changes is where the pack sits on the frame and where the frame rides on your back. How can one be expected to fit anywhere from a 16 inch to 21 inch torso?

drthornton

Lil-Rokslider
Here's a good video on how KUIU handles different torso lengths. The ICON suspension screws directly to the carbon frame into channels on the frame. The channel allow for a wide range of torso lengths. The 2012 version does it the same way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrZa3Zpmoys

It's been my perseption that Eberlestock packs fit the shorter Torso guys and Badlands the longer guys.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Even when the shoulders straps go up and down the pack still may not fit you correctly....

The frame will also need to be tall enough to give you shoulder lift at the same time (Load lifters).

OP
jmez

jmez

WKR
Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

I think you are right about the Eberlestock vs Badlands. When I bought mine I tried them out in the store. Stuck a heavy tent awning in them and walked all over the store. Badlands and Eberlestock were pretty similar. At the time I thought the Eberlestock was a little better. I have a Badlands Hypervent day pack that I use around here. It carries better than the Eberlestock even being just a small day pack. Kind of wishing I had went with the 4500 now. Really notice a difference in the Blue Widow when I get over 50lbs in it.

Lawnboi

WKR
So much goes into a good pack beyond torso fit. Lifters, comfort of everything else, stay stiffness, construction, compression all factors along with many more.

I had a BW and I wrestled with the thing for a year. And your right over 50lbs and its a bear. Got My kifaru timberline at the beginning of the year, i can say I am totally satisfied with it, It is the Single best upgrade iv made. I can go all week and not feel any discomfort from my pack.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I just packed out 120lbs for 5 miles and I have a 20 inch torso....pack felt great and still looks like new!

Kifaru Duplex Timberline 1....doing work!

DSC02406.jpg

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Bow on a Kifaru is pretty easy. You can use a Kifaru Grab It or horizontal straps across entire pack.

Bow is easy with the grab-it, however I did notice on my last trip that it doesn't work to great with an empty and compressed down pack very well... need to have some gear in there or use the top lid as well as the grab it to secure the bow.

Mike

GrantMan

Lil-Rokslider
If you are talking about the timberline the only way I know of is using the 30 day return policy. Mine will be here tomorrow and I am taking it out this weekend for a test drive. I am hoping I will like it because it was a 30 day wait from when I ordered it.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lannyw