Torn patellar tendon comeback

Mikedr

WKR
Roksliders!
First off, I appreciate the wealth of knowledge and different perspectives I get reading threads and spending time here. I’ve learned a lot, been steered in the right direction on gear, and glad that I found this site.
Now to get to my question. I just had surgery on my knee yesterday. I tore my patellar tendon and the doc said 6 month recovery time. I plan on giving PT my all and making a comeback because backcountry hunting is my passion. Has anyone else suffered the same injury and how was the transition back into hunting? I feel like I won’t trust my knee ever again, at least not the way I did. I’m a healthy 37 year old. I used to run half Marathons and worked out 5 days a week. If you have any tips on good workouts to get back into mountain shape and load bearing, please hit me up. Thanks!

I haven’t suffered through that. Just extreme tendinitis from college horizontal jumps and decathlon’s.. one thing I incorporated recently was beef gelatin. My tendons and ligaments feel better than they have since high school!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Mikedr

Mikedr

WKR
I haven’t suffered through that. Just extreme tendinitis from college horizontal jumps and decathlon’s.. one thing I incorporated recently was beef gelatin. My tendons and ligaments feel better than they have since high school!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the input. I haven’t looked into some new things to add to my diet, but I will now!

PTArcher1

FNG
Mikedr,
First of all, good luck with your recovery. I have rehabbed many of these over the yrs. Biggest piece of advice is to be patient and listen to your surgeon and PT. Unfortunately, 6 months is optimistic for return to mountain hunting. Your first three months will be primarily focussing on slowly regaining your knee mobility with little to no strengthening permitted. By that time, your quad will be extremely weak. You will then gradually progress to strengthening, with likely return to normal daily activities around 5 months. You should feel pretty good with your daily routine at 6 months, though typically, you will still be 30-40% weaker in your quad. It will literally take a full year to recover. By recover, I mean do anything you want without thinking about it. These surgeries are very successful, particularly in someone your age and with your active history. Best of luck. The recovery process will test your patience, but the outcome will be well worth it!!

OP
Mikedr

Mikedr

WKR
Mikedr,
First of all, good luck with your recovery. I have rehabbed many of these over the yrs. Biggest piece of advice is to be patient and listen to your surgeon and PT. Unfortunately, 6 months is optimistic for return to mountain hunting. Your first three months will be primarily focussing on slowly regaining your knee mobility with little to no strengthening permitted. By that time, your quad will be extremely weak. You will then gradually progress to strengthening, with likely return to normal daily activities around 5 months. You should feel pretty good with your daily routine at 6 months, though typically, you will still be 30-40% weaker in your quad. It will literally take a full year to recover. By recover, I mean do anything you want without thinking about it. These surgeries are very successful, particularly in someone your age and with your active history. Best of luck. The recovery process will test your patience, but the outcome will be well worth it!!
Will do. Patience will be a hard thing for me to deal with. I appreciate the response!