Torn between rifles

Bc45

Lil-Rokslider
I have been trying to find a new rifle for me this year. I live in Hawaii and hunt axis deer, but I am from Washington state originally and am going to go back there and hunt with it as well. I don’t want to spend much more than 1,200$ I was looking at Bergara, tikka, cva or even just a ruger American or howa 1500 and throw a aftermarket stock on it. I plan on getting 6.5 prc as there is a decent amount of ammo here on island for it. This will only be my second rifle as I mostly bow hunt but want to get more into rifles. Any ideas are appreciated

stan5677

Lil-Rokslider
Welcome to Rokslide. Everyone here will say get a Tikka. But what are you looking for as far as weight aftermarket support etc?

OP
Bc45

Bc45

Lil-Rokslider
Welcome to Rokslide. Everyone here will say get a Tikka. But what are you looking for as far as weight aftermarket support etc?
Thanks. I would like a lighter weight rifle as I do quite a bit of hiking and a good amount of elevation. One big thing for me too if durability. Hawaii is humid rainy and salt in the air so I need something that will last. I’ve looked into some aftermarket parts for certain rifles, but if I don’t have to change much on it I prefer that.

stan5677

Lil-Rokslider
I'm actually in the same boat. But you can't go wrong with a Tikka Lite SS I would peruse gunbroker or eurooptic not sure how FFL works in hawaii. 6.5CM, 270win, or 7mm-08 would suit you well. And with the Tikka I would throw on a limbsaver and maybe a pistol grip. Tikka's generall shoot well out the box without mods.

OP
Bc45

Bc45

Lil-Rokslider
I'm actually in the same boat. But you can't go wrong with a Tikka Lite SS I would peruse gunbroker or eurooptic not sure how FFL works in hawaii. 6.5CM, 270win, or 7mm-08 would suit you well. And with the Tikka I would throw on a limbsaver and maybe a pistol grip. Tikka's generall shoot well out the box without mods.
Yeah it is hard to find somewhere that ships to the FFLs here. Brownells kygunco and classic fire arms are like the only ones that do. At the stores here there is no 7mm-08. Only 6.5cm 6.5prc 270 and 308.

stan5677

Lil-Rokslider

MThuntr

WKR

If you're going to buy a howa and swap out stock just buy these. Google Brownell coupon codes you might find one that gets you 10% or more depending on the timing.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Lots of good rifles in that group, as a guy who has owned a lot of different brands in the 400-2000k price point. It gets really hard to not pick a tikka for the reason it gets recommended a lot accurate, reliable, ect. Not sure if you can try a bunch but maybe get your hands on the ones you are looking at, at a shop and pick what feels best to you. I would maybe look at a franchi momentum at your price point as well

Agree. Tikka in 6.5 hard to beat.

Thanks. I would like a lighter weight rifle as I do quite a bit of hiking and a good amount of elevation. One big thing for me too if durability. Hawaii is humid rainy and salt in the air so I need something that will last. I’ve looked into some aftermarket parts for certain rifles, but if I don’t have to change much on it I prefer that.
Those are all excellent rifles, and no one should have to go through the pain of having to decide between them. The only obvious choice is to - get a Browning X bolt. 😁

There are a few good options out there at that price point. First, try to get your hands on a few to see what naturally fits you and feels good shouldered. For me in that price range and maybe a bit over:
Tikka T3x Lite
Browning X-Bolts
Bergara B-14
Weatherby Vanguard
Hell, even a Ruger American.

OP
Bc45

Bc45

Lil-Rokslider

If you're going to buy a howa and swap out stock just buy these. Google Brownell coupon codes you might find one that gets you 10% or more depending on the timing.

That’s a good idea. I was looking at the manners stocks they look really nice. Or even grayboe stocks

OP
Bc45

Bc45

Lil-Rokslider
There are a few good options out there at that price point. First, try to get your hands on a few to see what naturally fits you and feels good shouldered. For me in that price range and maybe a bit over:
Tikka T3x Lite
Browning X-Bolts
Bergara B-14
Weatherby Vanguard
Thanks for the help!

stan5677

Lil-Rokslider
Tikka T3x Lite
Browning X-Bolts
Bergara B-14
Weatherby Vanguard
I'm hearing some not good qc on those bergara's now.

I'm hearing some not good qc on those bergara's now.
Interesting. Thanks for the heads up. I have owned two. I hope they don't go down hill. I have been a fan for many years and haven't had any issues in the past. The passing of information like this is what makes this forum great.

OP
Bc45

Bc45

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah I originally was going to get a bergara wilderness ridge because I heard such good things about them this last year, but now I’m hearing different about them. It checks all the boxes for me if it’s as good as people say they are

I’d take a look at the Tikka veil models. With the ceracoat on there that would help out with the salt and humidity in Hawaii. I had one in 6.5 prc and that thing was a fantastic shooter and I probably shouldn’t have sold it but I have another prc that shoots just as good.