Too Stiff?

At what point does a boot become your feet's nemisis? Hard core boots make your feet weak in my opinion. But, where do you draw the line? Granted, all of that changes once you have meat in your pack including lugs.

I think the ultra stiff mountaineering boots are overkill. On the other hand, light weight hikers for more than a day with a heavy pack would end my hunt. I am a big dude so I put a lot of stress on my feet. I like to stick with uninsulatedmid-weight boots like the lowa tibets, kenetrek or hanwag. I hunted the 2010 season with the last pair of danners I will ever own. My feet hurt at the end of every day. Last year I bit the bullet and got my lowa tibets and I during the season, my feet never crossed my mind!

ckleeves

WKR
I think it all depends on the terrain you are hunting. I base what shoes I wear on where I'm hunting. There is a few spots I elk hunt that a pair of running shoes would be just fine, but other spots that my lowa hunters or tibets are just perfect. As far as making your feet weak if you wear a mountaineering boot everyday I could see some problems, but I don't think anybody would do that. if you wanna build some foot strength get a pair of 5 fingers and wear them one day a week.

a3dhunter

WKR
Like others have said, depends on where you are.
I have used a 9-10" boot for several years, but went with a 6" hiker last year and really liked the extra movement my ankle was able to get without being secured by all that leather higher up like the 10" boot has. I found I was able to hike longer without my legs or feet being as tired, but when it came to sidehilling, I twisted my ankle 3 times pretty bad.
One time I thought I had really done some damage that could have hurt my hunt but it turned out okay.

I think for me, hiking from a truck camp or something like that in regular Colorado terrain a light hiker may be okay but I prefer a little stiffer boot with better ankle support to prevent any problems from arising.

Gman

WKR
I also think it depends on your feet. A really stiff sole tends to drive my heel back into the pocket and makes it uncomfortable. So I had to find the sole that was enough support while still being flexible. For me it was a Meindl sole/boot, but YMMV.

B

bearguide

if you have to do a lot of side hilling in wet weather with any weight, it really helps to have a still boot, but i hate to try sneeking in stiff boots