Too many choices, help me choose a daypack

stxhunter

FNG
I’m going on an elk hunt in New Mexico this September. For this hunt I really need a daypack with a meat shelf, the metcalf I have is more than overkill.

I’ve been looking at the initial ascent day pack setup. Frame looks good and the pack looks just big enough. This is probably the favorite I’ve seen. Haven’t seen much in the way in reviews though which makes me pause.

I started looking at Seek Outside with the Merlin talon setup, but have seen mixed reviews on the frame.

Kifaru seems to be mentioned quite a bit, but their setups seem a good bit heavier than others. I’ve considered the duplex lite and hellbender from them.

Open to other suggestions. Trying to get something this weekend with the 4th of July sales if possible.

Why don’t you want to use your metcalf as a day pack? I use my metcalf as a day pack unless I’m sitting in a tree stand. It’s light enough in my opinion and compacts flat with minimal gear in there. Just because you have all the space, doesn’t mean you need to fill the bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nine Banger

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Exo K4 with the 2200 bag is my day pack. Has room for all shooting equipment, tripod, 2 nalgenes, lunch and some to spare the but cinch straps suck out all the extra space. Mollinator and Jellyfish fit inside too.

OP
S

stxhunter

FNG
Why don’t you want to use your metcalf as a day pack? I use my metcalf as a day pack unless I’m sitting in a tree stand. It’s light enough in my opinion and compacts flat with minimal gear in there. Just because you have all the space, doesn’t mean you need to fill the bag.

Actually been thinking about that option. Hiking with the pack now as part of my weekly workout.

Actually been thinking about that option. Hiking with the pack now as part of my weekly workout.

I think it works great as my day pack and would save you some money. Compresses nicely, can carry multiple layers, in the pack or strapped outside, and then the bag separates from the frame to load out a kill.

If money is no factor, it does make sense to switch to some sort of a frame that you can switch out bags for day hunts and backpack hunts. It’s something I’ve thought about myself but just haven’t really gone far down that rabbit hole. Good luck!

OP
S

stxhunter

FNG
I think it works great as my day pack and would save you some money. Compresses nicely, can carry multiple layers, in the pack or strapped outside, and then the bag separates from the frame to load out a kill.

If money is no factor, it does make sense to switch to some sort of a frame that you can switch out bags for day hunts and backpack hunts. It’s something I’ve thought about myself but just haven’t really gone far down that rabbit hole. Good luck!

Appreciate the response! Money is always a factor … I could easily put the extra cash towards a new bow and use my current as a backup.

With that being said, I see so many talking about frame and fit it makes me wonder what others are like. Just came back from my 3mi hike with 35lb pack weight and I feel like I’m still fiddling with the pack to get it just right.

OP
S

stxhunter

FNG
Exo K4 with the 2200 bag is my day pack. Has room for all shooting equipment, tripod, 2 nalgenes, lunch and some to spare the but cinch straps suck out all the extra space. Mollinator and Jellyfish fit inside too.

While not on sale at the moment, I would recommend the EXO K4 2200. Well thought out day pack design with a shelf and the K4 frame system is wildly comfortable IMO.

Thanks, I’ll check it out!

Marble

WKR
I’m going on an elk hunt in New Mexico this September. For this hunt I really need a daypack with a meat shelf, the metcalf I have is more than overkill.

I’ve been looking at the initial ascent day pack setup. Frame looks good and the pack looks just big enough. This is probably the favorite I’ve seen. Haven’t seen much in the way in reviews though which makes me pause.

I started looking at Seek Outside with the Merlin talon setup, but have seen mixed reviews on the frame.

Kifaru seems to be mentioned quite a bit, but their setups seem a good bit heavier than others. I’ve considered the duplex lite and hellbender from them.

Open to other suggestions. Trying to get something this weekend with the 4th of July sales if possible.
I have the duplex light and a Hellbender. I like it a lot. It's my most favorite daypack. I've done whole deer and multiple loads of pigs, elk and bear. Big enough to get a couple nights out of it needed. It is very scrappy and isn't snug to frame without some adjustments.

As far as Kiafru weighing more. That's fairly true. But I can tell you not all packs carry weight well. At 60 lbs plus, a lot less on some packs, you won't notice two pounds.

My buddy didn't like my frame and lumbar pad until he tried to carry the head and hide from his bull. He asked to pack it in my pack. After he got out on, he realized why it had that big lumbar pad.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

UpTop

Lil-Rokslider
Really like the MR pop up for a daypack. But it would be nice to build up a whole system with one of the pack companies with a small bag and a large bag to swap out on one frame system. But overall for myself I am very happy with the pop up I own. I use it for everything.