Tonight is the night of nights...

This is the eve of the 79th Anniversary of the D-Day invasion and the beginning of the liberation of France, 06 June 1944. Take a moment to remember those who gave up their tomorrow's for our todays, and generation of WW2 Veterans that has nearly faded away. Forever thankful for their service and sacrifice. Not a day goes by that I don't appreciate the freedom they have given me, and I know most Rokslide members feel the same.

Below are the words by Colonel Robert Sink, Commander of the 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne Division. Before boarding their transport planes in England on the night of June 5th, each paratrooper in the regiment was given a copy of Col. Sink's message, as well as a different message from General Eisenhower.

Soldiers of the Regiment:

Today, and as you read this, you are en route to that great adventure for which you have trained for over two years.

Tonight, is the night of nights.

Tomorrow throughout the whole of our homeland and the Allied world the bells will ring out the tidings that you have arrived, and the invasion for the liberation has begun.

The hopes and prayers of your dear ones a company you, the confidence of your high commanders goes with you. The fears of the Germans are about to become a reality.

Let us strike hard. When the going is tough, let us go harder. Imbued with the faith in the righteousness of our cause, and the power of our might, let us annihilate the enemy where found.

May God be with each of you fine soldiers. By your actions let us justify His faith in us.

Robert Sink

Colonel

Screenshot_20230605-181931_Google.jpg

My father tried to join but was conscripted in essential industry until 1948. Many miners in Butte joined early on but were returned to the mines until after the war.

jayhawk

WKR
Sounds like it’s time for my annual watching of The Longest Day….

Thanks for bringing this to everyone’s attention. 🫡

7mm-08

WKR
Great thread. Thank you for reminding everyone who (as my deceased U.S. Army Korean war veteran father said) "brung you to the dance."

t_carlson

WKR
Hallowed day, for sure.

Although, after reading quite a bit of WWII history, there were several other days where Allied soldiers got mowed down by the hundreds trying to take a beach. Not sure why those other landings are mostly forgotten.

Chokes me up knowing what they did so we could enjoy the lives we lead today, eternally grateful to those who’ve served.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

amassi

WKR
Hallowed day, for sure.

Although, after reading quite a bit of WWII history, there were several other days where Allied soldiers got mowed down by the hundreds trying to take a beach. Not sure why those other landings are mostly forgotten.

Marine corps PR machine wasn’t as strong as the army’s( we’ve since learned our error) also the Japanese were seen as an inferior savage opponent compared to the Germans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Both of my little sisters were born on June 6 (a year apart). Imagine my surprise when I learned what that date representated. Many thanks to the Greatest Generation.

Last edited:
OP
Milestone522
Hallowed day, for sure.

Every invasion had a "DDay & HHour" for the Allies back in WW2, and yes most are forgotten except for those who participated or lost someone in them. I think the Normandy Invasion is most noted as it was the beginning of the end for Germany and the largest Invasion in history. Other large operations of WW2 will always be shadowed by 06 June 44., but those who went, regardless of the campaign, should always be remembered and honored.