Tommy hogg

Hey boys, I recently purchased a tommy hogg from one of the members here. Now this is my first slider sight.
So I need some advice. It is a 3 pin. So from the reading I have done I should sight my 3 pins to 20,30 and 40 and my bottom pin will be my adjustable one. That's about as much as I know for sure.
So where do I start the wheel? As high as possible or do I line it up so my peep is inline with my sight housing? I am thinking I will make my own sight tape marking once I have the 3 pins set up.
So basically any and all tips and advice would be much appreciated.
My bow is shooting about 272 fps. And only 8 percent FOC. If I am going to be shooting for practice at longer ranges will that be good?
Thanks in advance, rob.

Yea 20,30,40. Or 30,40,50

The last pin is your moving pin. Start with the dial all the way up. Sight in those three yardages and then make your sight tape. I do my own sight tape by shooting and penciling in.

vcb

WKR
I had always had my pins starting at 30 for big game but this year I was turkey hunting so I wanted a 20 pin for first. Remember the dial is just a reference number...it's not yardages. You can shoot the rest of the pins in like JD or you can purchase a software program that will produce the tape for you with your bow / arrow information

shaun

WKR
You have a 3 pin slider there is absolutly no reason not to start the 20. You will have 20-40 set and after that you will be able to adjust out from there with the dial. I understand the start at 30 if you are fixed and stuck with pins you set ie 20-40 or 30-50

Slim Jim

WKR
I have mine set at 30,40, and 50. My bow shoots at 283fps and at 20 yards I aim about a fist low and its dead on. I shoot a consistent 2" group that way and this way your good out to about 53-55yards without having to touch your dial. That's just what I do but everyone is different with different needs.

Matt Palmquist

Lil-Rokslider
You can set any pin you want as your slider pin. I use the top pin because I hone better with it and like having a clear picture above the pin. What you have to remember is when you move the dial, the only pin that will coincide with your tape is the pin you have designated as your slider. So, if your bottom pin is your slider you will want to make sure your tape says 40 yards at your zero on your dial. You will want the dial all the way up so you have more room for adjustment imo. The only time you wouldn't is if you want some room to dial in under your zero yardage....i.e. 34 yards.

I use a 5 pin MBG ascent and have mine set 20-60 with my top pin as my slider and printed a tape that is good from 20-110. I have used the Boss and Tommy Hoggs and had them set up the same way.

Matt

Slim Jim

WKR
Don't you lose 40 yards on your dial using your top pin? By the time you dial it out to 70 you have already turned the dial 50 yards just to get 10yards past your fixed 60 yard pin. Maybe I'm just not understanding

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Timber, some put the slider at the top, I put mine near the middle and here is why-
Your housing will drop down farther than your arrow(fletchings) will physically allow. You can print sight tapes out to 160 but I doubt your housing will drop down far enough without hitting your arrow. Like Justin Davis I use a pencil and dial in my sight that way, I than insert that information into the computer and print out a sight tape on an all weather label.

By putting my slider near the middle I can use it both 80 yards and beyond but also for closer shots. If I decide I want to shoot targets and I figure the target is let's say 46 yards, I can set my last pin up for it.

Also here is a little tip when setting up your sight. Set your pins as low as you can in your housing. This is the only way physically you can shoot longer distances with your slider because the housing doesn't drop down as far as if your pins were higher in your housing.

Does that make sense?

Matt Palmquist

Lil-Rokslider
Slim....I am able to dial from 20 to 110....for me that is plenty far for hunting/practice. If I was going to set it up with my 60 I would do exactly like DrHorsepower is describing. I don't want to gap my pins under 60 yards. The majority of my hunting shots are under 60 and if I have time I want to be able to dial into 45 yards if I have an animal bedded, etc. I have rarely used the slider in a hunting situation anyways, but it is nice to have when the opportunity is there.

Matt

OP
Timberghost
Hey boys, thanks for the info. Keep it coming. I will be sighting in all this week shooting after work.
I have a question though. If I roll the bull knob all the way to the top as some are saying my peep and sight window housing are not aligned like it was with my Hogg it. So do I need to move my peep up as well or just dial the sight so my sight picture stays the same?
Also I assume you guys are sighting in at 5 yd increments for as far as the sight will go?
Horsepower, I think I understand what you are saying about the pins but if I roll my first pin down it goes off the centering wire in the sight housing.
Thanks for the help guys. Keep it together, rob

shaun

WKR
Hey boys, thanks for the info. Keep it coming. I will be sighting in all this week shooting after work.
I have a question though. If I roll the bull knob all the way to the top as some are saying my peep and sight window housing are not aligned like it was with my Hogg it. So do I need to move my peep up as well or just dial the sight so my sight picture stays the same?
Also I assume you guys are sighting in at 5 yd increments for as far as the sight will go?
Horsepower, I think I understand what you are saying about the pins but if I roll my first pin down it goes off the centering wire in the sight housing.
Thanks for the help guys. Keep it together, rob

The Spott Hogg pins have 3 screws the. Two for up and down than on the actual pin itself there is a screw for wind age adjustment counter clockwise will move pin left and clockwise will move it right. I would adjust bull knob to match peep as long as it isn't too drastic

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
The pins adjust in and out as well so you can realign it with the wire. You will most likely have to do it with all of your pins.

OP
Timberghost
Hey guys, shooting went well tonight. I quit at 80 yds. Looks like I might get to almost 100 before fletch contact. With my slow bow that's pretty fair I think. I used medical tape but my fine point pen still bleeds and doesn't make the tape very nice.
What is your recommendation for weatherproof labels? Thanks, rob

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I buy it at REI...it is made by National Geographic and is over with all their GPS and map software stuff. I think about 20 sheets per box and about $20 per box.

Gus

FNG
RB - how do you get it to stick to the site? do you glue it or is there some self adhesive that you use?

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I use clear packing tape, cut the width if the channel in the sight. About 5/16", make my tape 1/4" and have about an inch overlap around it. Works great.