To much stuff!

Do you ever get tired of carrying to much crap.
I’m thinking about a psk pouch in my cargo pocket,pocket binos and range finder in coat pocket or maybe just my hpg kit bag and nothing that won’t fit.Most of the time if I kill im going back to vehicle anyway.

I have that problem myself.

This year I thinned down the amount of "stuff" I've had crammed in the little Ctooked Horn pack I've used for years.

It's a lot more enjoyable to carry without the excess stuff I seldom use anyway.

Wolfshead

FNG
I always struggle with this. I go back and forth between a waist pack (Fanny pack), and a small day/backpack.
I always wear my binos, and knife.
extra mag/ammo can go in a pocket.
usually have a grunt tube around my neck.
I’ve got to figure out what I’m going to do about water. It might be time to think about a bladder or something similar.

Macintosh

WKR
I rarely want to go back to vehicle for anything, so I figure Im going to always carry everything I need for however long I’ll be out. It forces you to be disciplined about what you carry—no duplicates or stuff for unlikely what-if scenarios that are essentially without real consequence—and it makes lightweight, packable gear pretty nice. It does make me think about the need for a tree stand in general, as my stand setup is where most of my weight and bulk comes from. I do nearly 100% of my day-hunting with bow or gun out of an 18l pack with a load shelf and have found I can do most stuff pretty comfortably (including carry a deer out along with all my stuff), without being unprepared or feeling over loaded. I really only use a stand bow hunting, that adds some bulk for sure. Pack also gets a little tight if carrying a lot of clothing for very cold weather.

Last edited:

LostArra

WKR
Depends on weather and possible weather changes while hunting. I would rather carry that extra layer and not have to return to truck.

But I do agree it's easy to bring unnecessary stuff.

Last edited:
For whitetail, I walk in at least 1/2-3/4 mile. As a result, I don't want to go back to the truck. I always carry a backpack and depending on the weather always have an extra layer, hot hands, extra light pair of gloves, extra release, extra knife, and a bottle of water and snacks. Most of this stays in the backpack all season so I can simply grab it and go with confidence. When I kill something, if the trail isn't too muddy/icy, I get the truck and drive to it. If its muddy I bring a cart and leave it about halfway in to the stand and retrieve it if I kill.

I try to keep everything jammed in a small pack vs. carrying in a big pack. The bigger the pack I take the more stuff I pack