To Drive or Fly? Fuel Costs Predictions for October

woods89

WKR
What will it cost you to fly the meat home if you all were successful?
I flew the meat off an elk home last fall. I bought 2 coolers for around $100 total and paid $225 in fees to check them both as oversize/overweight baggage at 95 lbs each. I also had a bit of meat in a soft cooler in my duffel, and left a bit with my hunting partner.

Trial153

WKR
When I figure the extra time involved in driving it’s almost always cheaper to fly, by a huge margin regardless of gas prices. However cost doesn’t factor into my decision anymore, I just chose what most convenient and feasible given the location and hunt.

Last edited:
It is a logistical nightmare to me. Especially having to rent a vehicle that has 1 shitty spare in the trunk. Cant hardly bring myself to consider doing it unless I was going to be hunting small game or small big game species like deer or antelope.

Glad it works out for some people. Its just not for me.

woods89

WKR
It is a logistical nightmare to me. Especially having to rent a vehicle that has 1 shitty spare in the trunk. Cant hardly bring myself to consider doing it unless I was going to be hunting small game or small big game species like deer or antelope.

It's a matter of weighing pros and cons, for sure. Flying doesn't make sense for every situation, and your point about bad roads is a valid concern. I'll do either, depending on what makes sense.

Everyone has to weigh their own situation. I will say that if you have a plan, flying meat home isn't awful.

What will it cost you to fly the meat home if you all were successful?
Depends on the number of animals, one elk will cost $150( two coolers, minus cooler weight 178lbs of processed meat)
Once you get to the second animal the price get goofy, in the event we take two elk we would ship all clothes and packs home via frieght shipping. This frees up more of our “free” bags with the airline and we take two more coolers up to $178lbs of processed meat. The frieght shipping cost is weight and size dependent but the quotes I’ve recieved are very affordable

What constitutes a shitty spare? And how many guys are carrying more than one spare?

Novahunter

Lil-Rokslider
Cost difference between driving and flying isn't the major factor right now, imo. Unreliable flights are.

I'm driving up to Newfoundland mostly because I don't want to risk cancelled flight and delays.

Sportsman247

Lil-Rokslider
We always drive out even though we’re from SC. I just like having the option to take more stuff than I need. I understand the cooler ideas you guys use to fly back the meat but what do you do with the antlers? They certainly won’t fit in a cooler. Do they just let you bring them on the plane? Sorry for the ignorant question but that has always been a negative for me when thinking about flying.

woods89

WKR
We always drive out even though we’re from SC. I just like having the option to take more stuff than I need. I understand the cooler ideas you guys use to fly back the meat but what do you do with the antlers? They certainly won’t fit in a cooler. Do they just let you bring them on the plane? Sorry for the ignorant question but that has always been a negative for me when thinking about flying.
I've read about guys putting sections of garden hose or split tennis balls on antler points, taping them up, and checking them as well. Might depend on the aircraft you're flying on?

Cwd regs need to be thought about as well. Some states want a clean skull before it enters state boundaries.

drra

FNG
I agree with the driving if you have the time, being stranded by the airlines and finding hotels (I slept in the airport a few weeks ago in Anchorage when I couldn't even find a room to stay in) is very frustrating.

7Bartman

WKR
I've posted this a few times before and it is a bit outdated (SW now flies to MT), but the concepts are the same.

Cost difference between driving and flying isn't the major factor right now, imo. Unreliable flights are.

I'm driving up to Newfoundland mostly because I don't want to risk cancelled flight and delays.
There is always the cancelled or delayed flight possibilities.
We booked with a nearly 4hr layover to account for a possible delay. If the flight was cancelled which would definitely suck, we would end up at our destination no later than if we had driven, for no more money than the cost of the drive.
We drove last year, 5k mile round trip. The drive wasn’t bad and I actually enjoyed it, with that being said we took way too much unnecessary gear and realized we couldn’t gotten by comfortably with a small enough amount of gear to fly out.

aachey

Lil-Rokslider
For reference two years ago I had flown to Montana to elk hunt with my uncle. Just needed my personal hunting gear and bow.
Flight (PA-MT-PA) $550
Elk euro mount done and shipped home $700 (200 for beetles, 200 for crate material, 300 shipping)
3 coolers for meat $150
3 coolers as bag number 3,4,5 and oversized $450 (150 per cooler)
suitcase and bow case were $70 each way (140 total)
Add in long term parking at the airport

Novahunter

Lil-Rokslider
There is always the cancelled or delayed flight possibilities.
We booked with a nearly 4hr layover to account for a possible delay. If the flight was cancelled which would definitely suck, we would end up at our destination no later than if we had driven, for no more money than the cost of the drive.
We drove last year, 5k mile round trip. The drive wasn’t bad and I actually enjoyed it, with that being said we took way too much unnecessary gear and realized we couldn’t gotten by comfortably with a small enough amount of gear to fly out.

You're assuming traveling under normal air travel conditions. 3 VP's at my company ended up having their 1pm flight delayed by 6 hours this on the way home from the west coast, simply because there was no crew to fly the plane. They sat in the airport for 6 hours and every 30 min got notifications that their flight was delayed another 30 min.

They ended up landing around 3:30am east coast time. Not a fun night.

Delays like that can easily set you back a whole day or more on a hunt.

You're assuming traveling under normal air travel conditions. 3 VP's at my company ended up having their 1pm flight delayed by 6 hours this on the way home from the west coast, simply because there was no crew to fly the plane. They sat in the airport for 6 hours and every 30 min got notifications that their flight was delayed another 30 min.

They ended up landing around 3:30am east coast time. Not a fun night.

Delays like that can easily set you back a whole day or more on a hunt.
If we get get set back an entire day we get to our destination no later than if we had driven. Every time this conversation comes up every potential issue with flying is discussed but no one seems to consider the possibility of a breakdown on your way out, your truck breaks down half way out west and you could be stranded for many days.

sneaky

"DADDY"
At that cost your fuel bill will be almost $3500

Rent with Turo, $1300 for full size 4 door truck, with a tonneau cover for 11 days. My group decided to fly this year. Airfare and rental ends up at $900 per man and we pick up two full hunt days.
Our best estimate to drive this year with diesel costs and the crazy tolls coming from the east coast was $775 per man.2 extra hunt days for $125 is well worth it. Assuming no lost luggage or cancelled flights
$3500? What fuel price are you using to get $3500 out of roughly 400gal round trip? Even at $6/gal that's only $2400. And diesel is less than $6 literally everywhere except Kalifornia.

sneaky

"DADDY"
If we get get set back an entire day we get to our destination no later than if we had driven. Every time this conversation comes up every potential issue with flying is discussed but no one seems to consider the possibility of a breakdown on your way out, your truck breaks down half way out west and you could be stranded for many days.
If your flight breaks down halfway out west you're pile driven into the dirt. You can what if both scenarios all day. Flying is getting more annoying, not less. You have way more control of what you're taking with you and bringing meat back when driving is a non issue. To each their own.

It’s not about cost. This is about your elk hunt that you planned meticulously for and invested in so many things. You don’t put yourself or your hunt in the hands of someone else. Someone who couldn’t care less.

I guess it’s different if you booked a guided hunt. But if you have a wall tent and frame, , wood stove, chainsaw etc etc just pack the truck fill the tank and start driving. You’ll be happy too when you kill an elk the last afternoon of your hunt and need a little time the next morning to do things and recuperate instead of having to be at an airport at 6am.

Drive!

It’s not about cost. This is about your elk hunt that you planned meticulously for and invested in so many things. You don’t put yourself or your hunt in the hands of someone else. Someone who couldn’t care less.

I guess it’s different if you booked a guided hunt. But if you have a wall tent and frame, , wood stove, chainsaw etc etc just pack the truck fill the tank and start driving. You’ll be happy too when you kill an elk the last afternoon of your hunt and need a little time the next morning to do things and recuperate instead of having to be at an airport at 6am.

Drive!
Wall tent, stove, chainsaws 🤔 you sure your not doing the guided hunt?
I’m happy you love the idea of driving, your more comfortable with going that route. If I had unlimited hunting days I’d probably drive also.
We drove a 5k mile round trip last year, I thoroughly enjoyed the drive. We took far too much unnecessary gear with us burned 350ish gallons of diesel fuel (approx $2k at today’s price), spent $270ish in tolls and burned 3 total days driving and we drove straight through both ways. Once we weighed our options flying made more sense for “OUR” situation.
Same cost as driving, we pick up at minimum an extra full day of hunting.
Kill One the last day and we can just as easily drive the meat home if need be.