TMA overflight update

VernAK

WKR
This week I had the opportunity to fly through the better parts of Tok Management Area, one of Alaska's premier Dall Sheep ranges. We flew the entire length of the Robertson River and a few side valleys and over the pass into Tok River Drainage and back to Tok. Snow patches were minimal and green grazing areas were plentiful. We never saw a sheep.........not one!

I wouldn't hesitate if anyone is considering Dall Sheep hunting. We're witnessing the last of it. It'll be gone in 20 years. Probably 10 years. It's disappearing fast now.

Atigun

FNG
I wouldn't hesitate if anyone is considering Dall Sheep hunting. We're witnessing the last of it. It'll be gone in 20 years. Probably 10 years. It's disappearing fast now.
What makes you assume that the population will not recover from this crash when it has rebounded from similar crashes in the past?

Reactions: MBN

ColeyG

WKR
It takes sheep to make sheep, and in a handful of areas in the state, the sheep are gone.

In most of the others, they have been trending down, quickly, in the last handful of years with nothing on the horizon that would seem to change that trend.

I will be very curious to see what the lamb crop looks like this year. It was pretty dismal in the two ranges I hunted sheep in last year.

I will be very curious to see what the lamb crop looks like this year.

Preliminary overflights in Region II, Region III and Region IV indicate <15:100. What's becoming more and more alarming is the further increase in ram:ewe ratio.

CodyB

Lil-Rokslider
Vern, were you seeing some caribou scattered about? Any update on flights in DCUA? This is a depressing thread to read and how quickly things are changing.

This week I had the opportunity to fly through the better parts of Tok Management Area, one of Alaska's premier Dall Sheep ranges. We flew the entire length of the Robertson River and a few side valleys and over the pass into Tok River Drainage and back to Tok. Snow patches were minimal and green grazing areas were plentiful. We never saw a sheep.........not one!
Vern, is this an area you fly often? Seen sheep in those specific areas before?

My very first sheep hunt was with a buddy who drew a TMA tag back in 2018. I saw so many sheep on that trip, and we got weathered out for two days. Over 100 sheep, no kidding. It makes me sad to hear how low the numbers are up there.

MBN

FNG
Thoughts on main causes? Golden eagles? Wet winters?
2 consecutive horrible winters/springs one of which included heavy rain, followed by heavy snow, and then cold that killed everything from voles to bison. In 2018 there were 27 rams harvested with 44 tags awarded in that draw area. In 2023 3 rams harvested out of the 9 tags awarded. There was a bad winter in 2013 that took a lot of sheep of the mountain that took a few years to recover from also.

2 consecutive horrible winters/springs one of which included heavy rain, followed by heavy snow, and then cold ...... There was a bad winter in 2013 that took a lot of sheep of the mountain that took a few years to recover from also.

It's actually much more involved than that. The progressive and evermore precipitous decline of Dall Sheep actually goes back more than 30 years.

It's actually much more involved than that. The progressive and evermore precipitous decline of Dall Sheep actually goes back more than 30 years.
I would be interested in learning more about what you've been reading. Do you mainly study ADFG publications or are there other resources you use to gain your information?

MBN

FNG
I agree with you that is more than that overall, but the Extreme low we have seen was mostly caused by the 2 consecutive winter/spring weather events. Especially the winter of rain and heavy snow and then cold(As I remember it was the spring of 2019 and 2020). The die off from those 2 winters/springs has accelerated the doom and gloom the last few years. I hunted the Robertson a year or 2 after the bad winter in 2013, there weren't many sheep around and up to the bad winters of late the population and mature rams rebounded. We are back into the rebuilding phase and can only hope for decent winters to help them rebound again.

Ds102 #'s
2015 27 Hunters 9 rams harvested 4 rams 9 years or older oldest 12(The year I had the tag)
2018 44 Hunters 27 rams harvested 6 rams 9 years or older oldest 13
2019 46 Hunters 19 rams harvested 15 rams 9 years or older oldest 12
2020 42 Hunters 10 rams harvested 6 rams 9 years or older oldest 13
2021 25 Hunters 5 rams harvested 3 rams 9 years or older oldest 11
2022 9 Hunters 3 harvested all 7 years old
2023 9 Hunters 4 harvested one 7 and three 8 year old

Maybe I am just an optimist that hopes they will come back like they have before