Titanium bolts to shed weight.

c5mrr270

WKR
Firenock has a new titanium bolt kit for a lot of different bows. It looks like you can shed 2-4 ounces off of your bow, plus titanium is stronger and doesn't rust. You might even gain a little speed with the lighter mods screws.

OP
c5mrr270

c5mrr270

WKR
The price and weight savings depends on the bow. Think about it though, it is cheaper than some other options. For example, the kit for a 2014 Hoyt is $72, if you save 3.5 ounces you just took the weight of a faktor turbo below the weight of a carbon spyder turbo and saved $300!! As far as warranty, you could just replace the stock bolts before you took it in for work. Assuming you have a bow press of course. Which technically if you put the bow in your personal press you have voided your warranty.

The price and weight savings depends on the bow. Think about it though, it is cheaper than some other options. For example, the kit for a 2014 Hoyt is $72, if you save 3.5 ounces you just took the weight of a faktor turbo below the weight of a carbon spyder turbo and saved $300!! As far as warranty, you could just replace the stock bolts before you took it in for work. Assuming you have a bow press of course. Which technically if you put the bow in your personal press you have voided your warranty.

Do you guys that worry about this much weight run stabilizers?? Mass weight is important for holding accuracy.. No way i would give up accuracy for lighter weight.. May be nice while carrying it but when you blow the 50 yard shot you get its all for nothing..

TEmbry

WKR
I replaced all mine with stainless steel bolts... Bought for 1/3 of the price of these titanium kits. No problems here and no more rust

OP
c5mrr270

c5mrr270

WKR
Do you guys that worry about this much weight run stabilizers?? Mass weight is important for holding accuracy.. No way i would give up accuracy for lighter weight.. May be nice while carrying it but when you blow the 50 yard shot you get its all for nothing..

Yes, but it would also allow you to take those ounces and move them to your stabilizer/s where the weight might be more useful.

no one is saying dont do it, for you it may be just what you are looking for... I am just saying that for my needs, there is no way that 75 bucks for 2.5 ounces is worth it. If you are only buying bows based on mass weight you are doing it wrong. All things held equal, mass weight makes a bow shoot better, period. Mass weight is about the last stat I look at when buying a new bow. Trust me, I have tried the light weight thing, my 1 year old mathews heli-m was gravel tuned on more than one occasion hahaha. I think that the money could be allocated to lightening up your pack or gear where it will really make a difference.

Joe

Well said!

The weight of these carbon bows is what keeps me away from them (that and the price).

They're already to light IMO. Holding one of these ultra light carbon rigs steady in a good breeze is a bugger. Give me a bow with a little "heft" to it any day (and a longer ATA).

Better off spending the money dropping the weight in camp gear and such.

MattB

WKR
That is a lot of money for little weight reduction IMO.

Carbon bows have a few features other than lighter weight, with vibration dampening and relative warmth in cold weather being two. The riser shape for shooting w/o a grip is really nice on the Hoyts as well - and the difference in the Hoyt carbon bows compared to the aluminum riser counterparts (all else equal) is ~3 oz.

TEmbry

WKR
PLEASE make sure you use an anti-seize agent when you do this. Stainless bolts in aluminum risers may as well be spot welds haha.

Joe

I've done this on all my bowfishing rigs and both hunting bows for past 8 years... Never had a problem. I use an anti seize agent just in case but I think most guys blow this out of proportion.

Also weight is weight. I know several people on this site said $100/oz isn't absurd to cut weight out of your pack.... These kits are $25/oz and you are still packing this in/out just like your sleeping bag and everything else...

Fact is that more weight on your bow is more accurate, my point is that money could be used to take weight off of something in your set up that will not hurt accuracy. Not all of the kits are 25 an ounce if you look at it. I don't think every screw t g at goes in alu is going to bind... but I've personally witnessed a guy have to drill out a screw to get his sight on. Its worth the extra 30 seconds it takes to prevent.

100 an ounce is absolutely absurd

TEmbry

WKR
100 an ounce is absolutely absurd

Agreed but there are people here that claimed they would pay it.

In theory I agree with everything you said about the weight. I just think there are very few people if any on this site good enough of a shot to notice a difference in a decked out bow vs a decked out bow 3-6 oz heavier all other specs equal...

Agreed but there are people here that claimed they would pay it.

In theory I agree with everything you said about the weight. I just think there are very few people if any on this site good enough of a shot to notice a difference in a decked out bow vs a decked out bow 3-6 oz heavier all other specs equal...

I think we are on the same page... but i would argue that if i handed 90% of folks a decked out bow that was 6 pound 12 ounces in in one hand and 6 pounds 9 ounces in the other, they woulnt be able to tell which was which even after a 5 mile hike. We are talking 1-2%.

For some reason if just seems different since my bow is a dynamic weight in my hand all the time and it seems to be less of an issue than taking weight off my back.

Tell you what NOT to do... spend a huge amount of money to get the lightest bow on the planet, then let your wife draw a great archery tag without you... all that lightweight crap is useless when you are hauing her heavy ass bow all over and yours is in the closet hahaha

joe

charvey9

WKR
More weight is not more accurate, in theory however it is more forgiving since it requires more effort to "move" the bow and therefore less affected by torque. However, removing 3 ounces from the bow will not instantly make it less accurate, it all depends on the shooter.

For those that aren't in the lightweight obsessed crowd, $100 for 3 ounces is cheap. It all adds up, and I think it is worth a try.

Forgiving = accuracy. Yes on a shooter shooter you are right, they will shoot the same. But carrying a shooter shooter will quickly nullify the 2 ounces you lost.

My main argument is NOT the accuracy issue. My main argument is that the 90 bucks could go a lot further somewhere else.

Go for it, if it's the only place on your set up that can shave an ounce maybe it's worth it. I just can't see it.

Terrapin

WKR
Be very careful doing this (or SS for that matter). Certain bolts on a bow a highly stressed. I have seen a limb bolt go through two layers of polycarbonate when it failed... Easily enough to kill someone. A highly alloyed steel bolt has substantially higher ultimate tensile strength that most grades of titanium. If you are talking sight, quiver, rest, stabilizer bolts, go ahead. They might seize up, but no one will get hurt. Anything on the pocket and there is a chance for very bad things.

OP
c5mrr270

c5mrr270

WKR
I don't believe removing the weight will make you less accurate. In my experience, correct draw length, proper tune, and bow balance are far more important than mass weight when it comes to accuracy and how a bow holds. If mass weight was the be all end all you would see target guys hanging 5lb dumbbells from their bows and shooting with bow mounted quivers.

As far as the money goes there are plenty of guys who would spend $25 to save an ounce. It may be worth it to some and it might not be worth it to others. I just thought I'd share since I hadn't seen mention of it here. And to me saving the weight on my bow is pretty handy since I carry it everyday I'm hunting instead of my camp that I usually only carry twice in a trip.

A lighter bow is less accurate for me.
I have a carbon riser bow and an aluminum riser.
The two Bows are almost identical. I shoot the aluminum bow much more accurately based on the holding weight I think

OP
c5mrr270

c5mrr270

WKR
That's interesting. I wonder if something is different, like cam synch. I know my bow can go from a twitchy little PITA , to holding like a rock with a just a half twist in the right spot.