Tips for extending day pack into 2-3

flyfisher117

Lil-Rokslider
I am aware that a proper frame and bag is the way I need to go. I am working on it, but likely won't have one this year.

I am currently running the old model MR Popup 38 and just looking for tips and experiences to squeeze 2 maybe 3 days out of it. I am a day hunter starting to branch out into over night hunts. Looking at Idaho Sept-october.

I was thinking about running a stuff sack or compression sack on the load shelf. Keeping the big heavy items there then just using the main bag for clothes and other lighter items. Wasn't sure if this was the way or if there's better methods.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Tough part will be sleep system. You’ll need a very compressible bag along with a small shelter to make things easier to fit. Bag (or even better a quilt if they work for you) depends on expected conditions. September no big deal, but October and snow just requires more clothing. For a shelter, I’d look at 1p trekking pole based setups just to keep size down. Something like the SG sky ULT (splitwing system from Slingfin), a small Tarptent, xmid 1P, etc.

Certainly would need to use a dry bag in the shelf to help expand capacity, food takes space. It’s very possible to do this I think, but you need a svelte kit.

Down insulation, efficient layering, and no extras are required. I’d start looking at the early sheep hunter gear lists for ideas and just adjust layering for a bit colder temps as you get later in the season.

OP
flyfisher117

flyfisher117

Lil-Rokslider
Tough part will be sleep system. You’ll need a very compressible bag along with a small shelter to make things easier to fit. Bag (or even better a quilt if they work for you) depends on expected conditions. September no big deal, but October and snow just requires more clothing. For a shelter, I’d look at 1p trekking pole based setups just to keep size down. Something like the SG sky ULT (splitwing system from Slingfin), a small Tarptent, xmid 1P, etc.

Certainly would need to use a dry bag in the shelf to help expand capacity, food takes space. It’s very possible to do this I think, but you need a svelte kit.

Down insulation, efficient layering, and no extras are required. I’d start looking at the early sheep hunter gear lists for ideas and just adjust layering for a bit colder temps as you get later in the season.
Yeah I have a small down sleeping bag and a BA Copper spur and was contemplating if that's going to be too bulky. Don't have a sleeping pad I like yet so still shopping for that, but it will also add to the bulk. The tent may be too much so it may end uo only being fair weather nights under the stars we will see. Not really wanting to buy a special tarp tent just yet.

Clothing and layering will be the challenge. May be able to justify the gruman jacket to the wife now. Haha.
How will pack meat along with your gear work with that set-up?
Unsure. It won't be ideal and may end up resulting an extra trip but for now not top worried about that. Starting out I just want to camp a mile or two in and just save myself that initial morning and night hike in.

Taudisio

WKR
I had a MR pack and I had dedicated the “overload system” to meat only. That meant I had to set it up with all my gear in or strapped to the outside of the pack. My tent and sleeping pad were lashed to the bottom when I went in with 5 days worth of gear. I had to look up pics of your model. Looks very doable for some weekend trips. Toss the tent under the lid, lash your sleeping bag to the middle using the frame. The rest of your gear needs to fit inside. Won’t be ideal or pretty, but you can make do until you get money for another pack.

OP
flyfisher117

flyfisher117

Lil-Rokslider
I had a MR pack and I had dedicated the “overload system” to meat only. That meant I had to set it up with all my gear in or strapped to the outside of the pack. My tent and sleeping pad were lashed to the bottom when I went in with 5 days worth of gear. I had to look up pics of your model. Looks very doable for some weekend trips. Toss the tent under the lid, lash your sleeping bag to the middle using the frame. The rest of your gear needs to fit inside. Won’t be ideal or pretty, but you can make do until you get money for another pack.
Thanks I'll play around with it and see what can strap where. This pack does have a fair bit of room to work with. The bag itself is on the smaller side though.

I was hoping to have a frame picked out by end of this summer but it may not happen so just need the ugly work around to get me through this season.

Taudisio

WKR
Eh you’ll be fine. Pack the internals full, then tie whatever is leftover to the outside. Just remember to bring extra cordage for when your pack is extended with the meat in the shelf! The one I was using was stuffed but I had my sleeping bag inside, I was also prepared for freezing/snow conditions.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'm not familiar with that pack, but with a load shelf you can easily pack a dry bag with stuff and put it there. You can also lash your tent/bag etc to the bottom or top of the pack as well. I've done all this even with my frame pack.

I did it for years with a Badlands 2200, which is smaller than your pack. I could get 5-7 days easy and did so for years. Coming out the pack always looked like "Beverly Hillbillies" but I put those packs through hell. As mentioned, the fact you have a frame makes this an easy chore. Get a waterproof bag, throw everything in it, lash to pack, walk in.

One tip if you have an area you know you're going into, simply pack some stuff in there during the summer to cut down on weight. If you kill it all goes out, doesn't really matter what pack you have at that point, its work.

OP
flyfisher117

flyfisher117

Lil-Rokslider
I did it for years with a Badlands 2200, which is smaller than your pack. I could get 5-7 days easy and did so for years. Coming out the pack always looked like "Beverly Hillbillies" but I put those packs through hell. As mentioned, the fact you have a frame makes this an easy chore. Get a waterproof bag, throw everything in it, lash to pack, walk in.

One tip if you have an area you know you're going into, simply pack some stuff in there during the summer to cut down on weight. If you kill it all goes out, doesn't really matter what pack you have at that point, its work.
That's a good point in the past we have actually pre packed water into a few areas I hunt just because what water is there isn't the cleanest or the ammount of vertical change it requires to get to it is too much for the early season heat. So carrying in and caching some stuff early isn't the end of the world.

I seem to recall I was in for about 5 days. That pack is a 2200, and you can see I'm sleeping on a Walmart cot. 3ish miles in. The 2200 like your pack will pull a rear quarter out no issue.

camp.JPG

ArmyAg97

FNG
I've done what you described for 3 days. Dry sack on meat shelf. I ended up rigging sleep system, bag and bivy, in what was essentially a lid. It was a pretty good setup. Drop the lid and remove the dry sack that had "camp" in it. My layers were in the actual bag so really easy to switch to "daypack" mode. I have that same tent and I think you'd be fine lashing to to the side vertically or depending on your dry sack may just be able to stuff it in there as well.