Tip for backcountry pong.

AndyB

WKR
I've seen a lot of posts over the last couple of years enquiring how to keep stink at bay while out in the back country.

A few year ago a relative of ours who lives in a really hot country let me into a little secret, I laughed it off when he first told me.

He told me he uses Milk of magnesia for underarm deodorant!!...yea right.

Well after trying it I can say that it is the best deodorant I have ever used. It has a slight minty smell to it when first applied but disappears completely when dry, no smell at all, even a couple of days later. It also works for salty sack and crotch rot, :)
Just roll some onto your hand and apply.

Put some into your next empty roll on and try it, I kid you not.

Double duties too for when you get a Delhi belly.

Last edited:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I wear merino base layers and never notice it even after a week. Even after I come home and take off the merino it's not that bad.

OP
AndyB

AndyB

WKR
Same here, merino is great but I'll be taking this along next time as well as it definitely helps.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Does anyone not wear deodorant and still has no body odor?

I don't wear deodorant while I'm out there. My nose is my best sense and I figure if I can smell stuff, the elk can smell it as well. That's why I don't use the scent sprays either. I can smell those all day long, especially if I use them on my hat.

But having said that, we all have an odor to us......especially to the deer and elk.

I will say this......different camo's have different scents. I wore the same Microtex Lite shirt I think in Outfitter camo for a week straight one week. I decided to change it to the same shirt in Infinity camo and after one morning of hard hunting and sweating it up the smell was horrible. Not really a BO smell, more like a chemical smell. Put the old shirt back on for another day and it was fine.

I've seen the same thing with camo merino wool. When it gets wet it smells like an open sewer, even coming out of the washer. My solid color stuff seems fine.

Last edited:

2ski

WKR
I thought this was going to be a thread on backcountry beer pong. I was thinking WTF. Someone is packing beer and solo cups into the backcountry to their hunting camp?

RamDreamer

Lil-Rokslider
I was kind of thinking the same thing 2ski! I thought someone finally developed dehydrated beer where I could add some creek water and open a collapsible cup and game on!

gmajor

WKR
I make sure my baselayers are 100% merino and it helps a ton. Even a 4% nylon or spandex or poly etc massively reduces the benefits for me. Some guys don't have that problem, but I cant stand kuiu or other blended merino, for example.

Funny about the milk of magnesia. Corn starch can work too I hear.

Carlin59

WKR
I was kind of thinking the same thing 2ski! I thought someone finally developed dehydrated beer where I could add some creek water and open a collapsible cup and game on!

Make sure to bring a Kestrel for accurate wind readouts! I wonder if there are any high-BC ping-pong balls for those who enjoy extended range mountain pong?

I believe this analogy fits pretty close, as far as scent is concerned;
When a human smells a skunk there is no question what the smell is coming from. It is an immediate and specific recognition with no room for doubt. Likewise, when an animal smells a human I believe the recognition is immediate. Scent control to me means staying down wind. Every other effort to control stink is in consideration of your hunting buddy.

samking

FNG
yeah corn starch can be very useful as well to prevent the "stink"

Last edited: