Timing a muzzle brake/suppressor

Cholla

FNG
I have a Silencer Central Bannish 30 Gold with an internal muzzle brake. I am trying to time it, but in .001, it goes from underclocked to overclocked. One way is just a half bubble off. How critical is it?

I had a Terminator T3 on a 300RUM that was timed wrong. It would dig a hole and throw rocks at you. Getting that timed right was very important to me.

I dont see how it could matter with it inside a suppressor

Zack-s

FNG
Definitely over thinking it. The brake on my bolt gun is actually pointed down, but I never intend to shoot unsuppresed so it doesnt matter to me

kthomas

Lil-Rokslider
It doesn't matter that much. I think MacBros did a test with different MB port orientations, and the ports need to be angled a pretty good amount before it makes any real difference to the shooter (I think it was 5* and more).

It matters none at all if only shooting suppressed.

OP
C

Cholla

FNG
Thanks. I called Silencer Central and they said it doesn't matter if shooting suppressed. I have it within a half bubble so now I just waiting on my order of Rockset.

khuber84

WKR
Get a bag of high quality 5/8x24 crush washers, and run one behind the brake against the shoulder at the muzzle. Be careful not to over clock during install or you'll need another washer. Put a lil loktite or rokset on the muzzle threads. You're done.

wesfromky

WKR
Get a bag of high quality 5/8x24 crush washers, and run one behind the brake against the shoulder at the muzzle. Be careful not to over clock during install or you'll need another washer. Put a lil loktite or rokset on the muzzle threads. You're done.
I would NOT use crush washers with a suppressor - it will increase the odds of getting a baffle strike.

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
Adjust your torque a little less or a little more to clock it perfect to your eye. It's not an exact science

And of course, if it's always going to be covered by a suppressor, it matters not at all

khuber84

WKR
I would NOT use crush washers with a suppressor - it will increase the odds of getting a baffle strike.
I could see that being a possibility with a factory rifle or sub par smithing of the muzzle threads and their relationship to the bore.