Time to upgrade... Spotting scopes

bbrown

WKR
I have been using a Leupold Gold ring compact spotter 15-30x for the past couple years and it has worked pretty well. Just comes up a bit short in the overall magnification and low light. I think I have pretty much made up my mind on a Swarovski 65 mm - probably non HD. Dont really have a preferance as far as angled or straight so i will probably pick up whichever i can find the better deal on. What is a good used price with an eye piece? I have been doing some looking around so I have a pretty good idea but curious what everyone else is seeing.

Also being new to the high end spotters which eye piece is better as far as magnification, wide angle and so on. Thanks for the input.

OP
bbrown

bbrown

WKR
Also if anyone is interested in the Leupold let me know. It really does work well backpacking - small and fairly light at around 26ozs.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wouldn't buy anything except the 20-60 power eyepiece for the Swarovski. I would think anything around $1400 would be fair for both you and the seller.

OP
bbrown

bbrown

WKR
Thanks for the input - anyone have any actual experiance with the Vortex Viper line? I really like my Viper binos and the warrenty is hard to beat but I have always wanted the swaro. I know the Swaro is better just not sure its $800 better.

dotman

WKR
Reviews have not been good on the dialyt. Lots of people have given great reviews on the vipers, worth a shot if swaros really aren't what you want to spend all your money on.

trdhunter

WKR
Have you looked into the Vortex Razor HD? That is the scope I am most likely going to go with here shortly. I have been wanting swaros or kowa but with new baby i dont think it will happen and from my research they might not be worth the extra money anyways over the razor.

OP
bbrown

bbrown

WKR
The only thing about the razor is its size and weight. Now if only they made a 65mm razor that would be a different story.

JDB9818

WKR
I purchased a new spotter a couple of months ago. I looked at the HD Swarovski's and the Vortex Razor. I choose the Vortex and I am extremely pleased with my purchase. I could have obviously spent more but after getting opinons from a couple of the "experts" on here and looking at them myself I didnt think the extra money was worth it TO ME. The Vortex is big but I love it and I would make the same purchase again today.

I use a 65mm Viper HD and love it. Its a great scope. Clear and crisp to the edges, it gives up some light gathering ability to the alpha glass because of its smaller objective but for most applications you can't beat it. Digiscoping dall sheep at 5 miles through fog I might want a swaro, but for my high country elk and muley hunts I'm pleased with the vortex.

OP
bbrown

bbrown

WKR
So how about a used Swaro STS 65mm with 20-60x eye piece for $1200 shipped? Good deal?

Last edited:
OP
bbrown

bbrown

WKR
Done deal - I could not pass it up. If anyone is looking for a ATS 65mm I know of almost the same deal. I just decided to go with the straight body.

OP
bbrown

bbrown

WKR
Since I am buying these used what is the best way to deal with the warranty should I need it. I remeber reading somewhere that as long as you register it a certain way (same as the original owner) the warranty transfers - or at least something like that anyways.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
0utle