Time to upgrade son’s bow

My son is 14 and still growing. He shoots an Elite Ember currently. His draw length is 27.5” and the bow is maxed and pulling 57#. I don’t know what speed he’s shooting, but I do know it would be nice if it was faster. He can draw heavier weight, but that’s not an option with this bow.

What would you guys suggest as a bow (new or used) to get him into that can grow a little bit with him, is in the 60#-70# range, and will add more speed? He doesn’t need a speed bow (although it would work), but we hunt whitetails and a little more speed won’t hurt him at all.

Here’s a pic of him with his first deer with a bow from last year when he was 13.

12638641415adf3f26aab7e0c10e00df.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Zac

Marshfly

WKR
I just bought my 14yo son a used Phase 4 29 from the ArcheryTalk classifieds. $825 shipped to me with a QAD micro adjust rest. Deals on used flagship bows are the way to go IMHO. He's 27" DL and pulling 60# BTW so right where your son is.

SloppyJ

WKR
That's great! I remember growing up and running through a bunch of beaters until my dad got me my first Martin Jaguar. That was a sweet bow back in the day.

Anyway, I think the obvious answer is to get a 70# bow and crank it down for him right now. If it were me, I'd grab a 3-5yr old used bow and restring it for him.

Ho5tile1

WKR
I think the Mathews bows are great cause with just a simple mod you can go from like 50-80 pounds I even got my vertix down to 45 pounds for my sons friend to shoot. I’d go look on archery talks classifieds they have a ton of bows up there if you can’t find one here. Good luck and that’s fine buck way better then my first deer with a bow..

OP
O
I think the Mathews bows are great cause with just a simple mod you can go from like 50-80 pounds I even got my vertix down to 45 pounds for my sons friend to shoot. I’d go look on archery talks classifieds they have a ton of bows up there if you can’t find one here. Good luck and that’s fine buck way better then my first deer with a bow..

Luckily he’s blessed with some stupid strength so it wouldn’t surprise me if he can already pull 70#. I think a couple year old top end bow is the way to go. I just need to find something that had adjustment to get him out to 29” which I figure he’ll be at before too long.

TheTone

WKR
I’ll agree with others on a Mathews that has switchweight cams. Would give tons of ability to grow both in strength and draw length.

I’d check any local dealers for leftover stock. Myself, my wife and a good friend have all bought previous year models from dealers after the new year one came out at heavy discount

LostArra

WKR
I’ll agree with others on a Mathews that has switchweight cams. Would give tons of ability to grow both in strength and draw length.

I’d check any local dealers for leftover stock. Myself, my wife and a good friend have all bought previous year models from dealers after the new year one came out at heavy discount
This ^^

I don't know how far you live from Prague,OK but Davenports would be a great place to take your son to try some bows both new and used. When I bought my first compound at 64yo he set up 5 or 6 bows for me and handed me some arrows and had me shoot as much as I wanted.

Marshfly

WKR
Here’s that Phase 4 I mentioned earlier. Can’t beat a fully rigged out flagship bow including Bridgelock sight and stabilizer and Mathews quiver and limb legs for right about $1300. I may never buy a new bow again.

IMG_5333.jpeg

Ho5tile1

WKR
I agree Marshfly the only downside is no warranty that has kept me from buying used Mathews bows. I did purchase a used Vertix and so far it’s been fine, but everything is fine till it’s not..

Most Elites have more than enough draw length adjustability and 60-70# shouldn’t be an issue .. plus warranty stays last I checked . Year old bows or two year old bows are the way to go .
Looking for a bow for my wife so let me know if you want to sell that one 😂

I got my 2017 Mathews Halon X Comp for $550 used and lowkey looking for another. I’ll get a Lift 33” in a couple years from the guys who buy new bows every year.

OP
O
I may have actually found something like you guys have suggested. 2022 Mathews V3X 29 with the 60# and 75# mods. Looks new from all the pictures. Comes loaded with Trophy Ridge sight, stabilizer, and rest, and the Mathews fixed quiver. Also has 18 VAP arrows. The bow hasn’t been shot much, and essentially none in the last year and a half. He’s asking $800, but I’m sure may take a little less. Used bows are a hard sell around here.

Good deal?

Zac

WKR
He’s already adult sized so literally any adult bow would work. If you do want Mathew’s you can find them new on EBay, and Podium.

Ho5tile1

WKR
I may have actually found something like you guys have suggested. 2022 Mathews V3X 29 with the 60# and 75# mods. Looks new from all the pictures. Comes loaded with Trophy Ridge sight, stabilizer, and rest, and the Mathews fixed quiver. Also has 18 VAP arrows. The bow hasn’t been shot much, and essentially none in the last year and a half. He’s asking $800, but I’m sure may take a little less. Used bows are a hard sell around here.

Good deal?

That’s a great deal imo plus it comes with all the goodies and it’s great bow I have one it’s a shooter for sure

OP
O
He’s already adult sized so literally any adult bow would work. If you do want Mathew’s you can find them new on EBay, and Podium.

I understand the size issue, but I need it to be easy to adjust up as well. I’m not stuck to Mathews, Elite, Hoyt, or anyone else, but it’s more about a good quality bow that fits the need.

Marshfly

WKR

Good deal?

It will need strings. Factor that in. I think it’s a decent deal for sure. Would be even better at $750.

Check archery talk classified for mods. Lots of switch weight mods come and go there so you can get the right length. Also switch weight mods run about a half inch long. So if he needs 27.5, buy 27s.

Marshfly

WKR
I agree Marshfly the only downside is no warranty that has kept me from buying used Mathews bows. I did purchase a used Vertix and so far it’s been fine, but everything is fine till it’s not..

$500-700 discount from new makes up for any potential issues IMHO. The only thing that could possibly happen is a limb issue and I’m pretty sure a set is about $300 and comes with a warranty on them.

Zac

WKR
I understand the size issue, but I need it to be easy to adjust up as well. I’m not stuck to Mathews, Elite, Hoyt, or anyone else, but it’s more about a good quality bow that fits the need.

I don’t understand what doesn’t fit? Almost any bow within the 30-32 ATA range will go from 26-30 inches. Almost all of them will be 70 lb draws. Any new or few year old flagship will be a major upgrade. Maybe just let your son pick one. Functionally they are all the same.

OP
O
I’m meeting the guy who has the V3X today to see what it’s all about and I’ll see if we can make a deal. It would make a great Christmas present for him.