Time to lighten up my shelter...

OP
UtahJimmy

UtahJimmy

WKR
Update!

I ended up with two silnylon shelters to test out this spring and summer. I got the Yama Cirriform 1P tarp and the Jimmy Tarps Granite Mountain w/ sewn in vestibule.

Initial comparison:

The craftsmanship on the Yama wins, hands down. The reinforced tiedown locations don't make me nervous at all to handle the wind but do add a little to the weight. I actually set this up in 20+ mph winds in the backyard and it shed the wind wonderfully but I did have to stake it down pretty close to the ground to cut the draft down which drastically ate into my available headroom. I think this will be super tight for me + dog, but perfect for a solo outing. Using 9 MSR groundhogs, this setup tips the scales at: 20.7 oz

The JT Granite Mountain definitely provides significantly more room with a small weight savings. I had difficulty pitching it to lift the tarp near the foot area, but I'll work on that with more practice. This setup with 8 MSR groundhogs weighs in at: 17.3 oz

I will be adding a ground tarp which will most likely be a Tyvek sheet and a bag/quilt. Hoping my summer setup can be under 5 lbs, which is huge considering my tent is over 7 lbs alone!! Thanks for the assistance all, and I'll be sure to update once I get some time in both shelters.

Last edited:

Tag_Soup

WKR
I would love to see some photos of the Jimmy Tarps with a bag and pad inside for reference. I am highly considering pulling the trigger on one. I will be solo with a pack most times, but occasionally it would be nice to squeeze two into it in a pinch.

W.D. Crawford

Lil-Rokslider
I would love to see some photos of the Jimmy Tarps with a bag and pad inside for reference. I am highly considering pulling the trigger on one. I will be solo with a pack most times, but occasionally it would be nice to squeeze two into it in a pinch.
x2.

OP
UtahJimmy

UtahJimmy

WKR
I don't have any yet with a pad laid out but I shared some pitched photos with tag. I'll PM those to you. I'll pitch it again and put some gear in for reference.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

GIS

Lil-Rokslider
I'm in a similar position in that I need to replace my aging heavy Kelty with a new tent. I recently started using trekking poles and in search for my next tent I have narrowed it down to a tarptent. They have many models that use trekking poles and offer dual vestibules. They would be worth taking a look at.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk