Timberline 1 as a day pack?

sr80

WKR
I've got my first kifaru pack on order and cant wait for it to show up! a DT1 on order and I am wondering how well it's going to compress down for a day pack. It's main use will be for 10-14 day sheep hunts. Usually I have a big pack and a small one for weekend trips, and day hunts for deer and bear. Does anyone have any pics of their dt1 in a day pack mode or thoughts? Im thinking of adding the mountain rambler to my collection if I find this too big for days hunts. It would definitely be good for packing the big buck out though. Thanks in advance

ceng

Lil-Rokslider
I have used it quite a bit in daypack mode. It compresses down fine. My biggest complaint is how long it takes to access stuff inside. Between decompressing it and the lid and snow collars it's kinda a hassle. There are a lot of straps which add versatility but also slow down your use in daypack mode. You could mitigate this with a lid with built in storage though. Some people are also better at managing pockets and pouches and won't have my problem. I do like the spotter pockets etc and the back pockets, I just always seem to need something inside. I'm gonna try a cargo panel with pockets for more daypack centric trips.

I loved my T1, but personally wasn't a fan using it as a day pack. Most guys have no issues in day pack mode, but I didn't like the single top opening and all the excess material. For 10-14 days it's the cat's meow though!

Shrek

WKR
I have an older model T1 and I love the layout so much that I just ordered a new one with the larger pockets. That fixes the main complaint I did have which was the pockets were compromised when the main bag was stuffed full. I would have liked a bigger main bag but I can fit everything in I need for five days of colder weather camping as it is in my current bag but I would have to unpack the main bag some to get my stove in or out of the back pocket or put the spotter back in. Bigger pockets on my new T1 should cure the issue. The big bag collapses flat against the frame for day pack use. The frame is the only bulk and I'm not going to cut it because it is going to carry any success out.

Works ok for me, though I do tend to use the Highcamp 4800 more often now. It compresses well, the exterior pockets hold small things within easy reach, and it hauls out a big load well.
Personally, for a day trip since I have the 4800 I will use it more often since it is a bit smaller.

Tim M

Lil-Rokslider
I have been using my BT1 for several years now and all I can say is that it is my go to pack for a 14+ day trip or a short single day hunt. When I am in the backcountry it always becomes my day pack so I have learned how to organize my gear in such a way that the two back pockets and the two that I added onto the belt hold everything that I would normally want to get at fairly quickly, anything else such as a kill kit goes inside.