Tikka / XLR 7mm PRC Magazine question

SoutheastGoesWest

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Tikka action and a Proof 7mm PRC barrel, the XLR Element 4.0 chassis should be shipping to me within the next few months. From what I read online, the LA Tikka XLR chassis requires the 3.560 magazine. And XLR sells the 3.560" 300WM magazine. Has anyone had experience with how the 7PRC feeds out of this setup?

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have a Tikka action and a Proof 7mm PRC barrel, the XLR Element 4.0 chassis should be shipping to me within the next few months. From what I read online, the LA Tikka XLR chassis requires the 3.560 magazine. And XLR sells the 3.560" 300WM magazine. Has anyone had experience with how the 7PRC feeds out of this setup?
We haven't had too much feedback yet from customers but you should be good to go! In the rare instance you do have any issues, AICS magazines are very easy to tune and should only take a couple of minutes to do so! Most long actions do not require this though! We have had guys testing the feeding in custom actions with 3.850 and they have had good results!

EcoastDG

FNG
I have this setup. No issues with feeding thus far.

momo777

FNG
Hello everyone, New user here, first post. I am building this setup currently but would like to use this tikka LA chassis with 2 different actions. 1.) the tikka LA 7 rem mag, and 2.) tikka 6.5 cm action. Anyone have experience with if the 3.560 mag will chamber a 6.5 cm? Feel to enlighten me if I am missing something important. Thanks,

Eric_F

FNG
Hello everyone, New user here, first post. I am building this setup currently but would like to use this tikka LA chassis with 2 different actions. 1.) the tikka LA 7 rem mag, and 2.) tikka 6.5 cm action. Anyone have experience with if the 3.560 mag will chamber a 6.5 cm? Feel to enlighten me if I am missing something important. Thanks,
I don't think that's going to work well. The problem is going to be feed lip width as well as shoulder location. On my 3.56" mags I bent the feed lips to 0.475" which works well for my 284 Win and seems to be good for 7mm RM. But that's way too wide for 6.5 CM. In addition the mag crimp that guides the shoulder seems too far forward to keep 6.5 CM from hitting the bullet tips on the front of the mag.

Attachments

• PXL_20231219_214631434.jpg
    PXL_20231219_214631434.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 25
  • PXL_20231219_214814952.jpg
    PXL_20231219_214814952.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 25

BAKPAKR

WKR
Is any modification to the Tikka action itself needed to get good feeding from the 3.560 magazines? Just wondering since I had to have a “Wyatt’s cut” on my Remington 700 to use the MBE-3 mag box for longer COAL.

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The best way to do it is always to run the short action cartridges in a short action chassis so you can use magazines designed for that caliber. If you wanted to save money up front and use them both in the same chassis then you will want to run a 300 WM magazine for the 7 Rem mag, and a 3006 magazine for the 6.5 CM. With the 3006 mag you will most likely have to tune the feed lips a little so it will feed correctly.

You could also try making a spacer kit to fill the back of the magazine. This would require some modifications but I have heard of customers doing it. It would be the same concept as a BR spacer kit in short action magazines (link below).

Remember with chassis you can always swamp components back and forth quickly. If you want to hunt with the 7 mag and train with the 6.5 Creedmoor then get the long action chassis set up exactly how you want it and buy an additional short action chassis block. Then you can swap the buttstock and grip over to your trainer chassis and you will only be out an additional $375 for aluminum or $575 for magnesium.

momo777

FNG
The best way to do it is always to run the short action cartridges in a short action chassis so you can use magazines designed for that caliber. If you wanted to save money up front and use them both in the same chassis then you will want to run a 300 WM magazine for the 7 Rem mag, and a 3006 magazine for the 6.5 CM. With the 3006 mag you will most likely have to tune the feed lips a little so it will feed correctly.

You could also try making a spacer kit to fill the back of the magazine. This would require some modifications but I have heard of customers doing it. It would be the same concept as a BR spacer kit in short action magazines (link below).

Remember with chassis you can always swamp components back and forth quickly. If you want to hunt with the 7 mag and train with the 6.5 Creedmoor then get the long action chassis set up exactly how you want it and buy an additional short action chassis block. Then you can swap the buttstock and grip over to your trainer chassis and you will only be out an additional $375 for aluminum or $575 for magnesium.
Awesome! This is all coming together nicely. Thank you all and Merry Christmas!

Reactions: XLR

Ohiohuntr

Lil-Rokslider
I just built a 7 prc with a defiance action and xlr mag chasis, I’m using the 300 win accurate mags and they work good,I had to adjust it up just a bit so that the bolt would pick up the second and third round out of it, I believe it’s a 3.850 mag

Attachments

• 72116225598__4B767892-178B-4B25-B4EC-DEA4B7BAE395.jpeg
    72116225598__4B767892-178B-4B25-B4EC-DEA4B7BAE395.jpeg
    299.4 KB · Views: 34
Does anyone know If this polymer MDT mag will work for 7PRC in an XLR Element with a Tikka action? Trying to save a little bit of weight.

Pretty certain it won’t, see the bottom of this thread:

ajbailey21

Lil-Rokslider
Pretty certain it won’t, see the bottom of this thread:

10-4, that's what I needed. I spent at least 30 minutes trying to find the answer to this. Finding answers on forums is some sort of acquired skill...thank you.

T_Widdy

Lil-Rokslider
Shoot2HuntU
@XLR I see your Tikka 4.0mg is unavailable right now to order. If you’re redesigning it at all, can you work with @Unknown Munitions and incorporate their new longer magazine to fit for a tikka 3.600”. I’m getting ready to order another 4.0mg and wondering if I should wait.

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
@XLR I see your Tikka 4.0mg is unavailable right now to order. If you’re redesigning it at all, can you work with @Unknown Munitions and incorporate their new longer magazine to fit for a tikka 3.600”. I’m getting ready to order another 4.0mg and wondering if I should wait.
The chassis pages are down right now because of our web host running some updates that basically made our custom coding not work. We are currently working on getting the website back up and running!

The longer Tikka magazine would be awesome! At this time its not something we are working on incorporating but if we see enough demand maybe its something we could look at.

momo777

FNG
Update: What i have learned is, and correct me if I am wrong, but Tikka only has 1 action length. So what I did is purchase the XLR chassis and i found 2 tikka actions. 1 was a 7 Rem mag with magnum bolt face and 1 was a 25-06 action wit the standard bolt face. The first will be used with a 7prc proof barrel and the second action will be used with a 6.5 CM proof barrel. I purchased 2 3.560 mags. 1 is the 30-06 mag and it feeds the 6.5 CM fine and the 300WM 3.560 mag feeds the 7 PRC just fine. These mags are the metal MDT mags. So... 1 chassis, but 2 barrelled actions. So far, so good!!! What I still dont understand is if these mags are considered AICS mags or not. Also Another revelation was that either bolt will work in either action as long as I have the correct barrel to match the bolt face of that caliber. I have some pics if someone would like to see but I have yet to shoot it. Still waiting on a tikka action wrench and my go, no go gauges to arrive.

Reactions: XLR

Jim Row

FNG
Classified Approved
Update: What i have learned is, and correct me if I am wrong, but Tikka only has 1 action length. So what I did is purchase the XLR chassis and i found 2 tikka actions. 1 was a 7 Rem mag with magnum bolt face and 1 was a 25-06 action wit the standard bolt face. The first will be used with a 7prc proof barrel and the second action will be used with a 6.5 CM proof barrel. I purchased 2 3.560 mags. 1 is the 30-06 mag and it feeds the 6.5 CM fine and the 300WM 3.560 mag feeds the 7 PRC just fine. These mags are the metal MDT mags. So... 1 chassis, but 2 barrelled actions. So far, so good!!! What I still dont understand is if these mags are considered AICS mags or not. Also Another revelation was that either bolt will work in either action as long as I have the correct barrel to match the bolt face of that caliber. I have some pics if someone would like to see but I have yet to shoot it. Still waiting on a tikka action wrench and my go, no go gauges to arrive.
So what size Xlr chasis did you order LA or SA? I have a Xlr tikka chasis and if I don’t have to buy a new one for a LA that would be great.

momo777

FNG
So what size Xlr chasis did you order LA or SA? I have a Xlr tikka chasis and if I don’t have to buy a new one for a LA that would be great.
There is actually only 1 size Tikka XLR chassis. And, this will fit any tikka t3 action whether its from a .223 or 300Win mag. etc

Eric_F

FNG
There is actually only 1 size Tikka XLR chassis. And, this will fit any tikka t3 action whether its from a .223 or 300Win mag. etc
What are you talking about? Maybe the action screws are the same, but the mag wells differ greatly, that's what they list T1x, short action, and long action separately.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240530-091516.png
    Screenshot_20240530-091516.png
    222.5 KB · Views: 8