Tikka T3x superlite -- what to improve and mod?

WaWox

FNG
I have a Tikka T3X superlite in 7mm rem mag, with a Maven RS1.2 in MIL mounted on the built in base with Warne low Tikka turrets.

I already filed down the plastic that "supports" the barrel and can now move a three times folded sheet of paper all the way to the action block.

I lowered the trigger weight to the minimum available via the existing spring, probably 2.5lbs but haven't measured it.

I installed a Victor cheek raiser

I added a 4inch Arca plate

Limbsaver butt replacing the stock rubber end.

I feel this gun is pretty great-- but people here have fantastic ideas and way more experience than me.

So I'd love to know -- what other must have mods or improvements are there ? Intention is backpacking elk gun.1000010815.jpg1000010816.jpg

Last edited:
OP
W

WaWox

FNG
Oh OK need to look into rings then some more ..

I forgot to add -- butt had already been replaced with the limbsaver :)

OP
W

WaWox

FNG
Suppressor
I am assuming I'd either need the barrel shortened and then threaded or just get a new barrel that's already threaded. How long do you recommend to go with barrel alone on a 7mm rem mag? I am mostly shooting mono metal bullets.

In that case of getting a custom barrel ... I might as well switch to 7mm PRC barrel, .. so definitely something I will keep in mind.

turbo406

FNG
I am assuming I'd either need the barrel shortened and then threaded or just get a new barrel that's already threaded. How long do you recommend to go with barrel alone on a 7mm rem mag? I am mostly shooting mono metal bullets.

In that case of getting a custom barrel ... I might as well switch to 7mm PRC barrel, .. so definitely something I will keep in mind.
I thought the superlites were threaded already? It's all preference, my smaller Cals are all 18 inches that I've had cut my 300 win mag is cut to 20 inches and suppressed is wonderful to shoot. That being said my 22 inch ruger american balances very very nicely with a can on the end.

Oh OK need to look into rings then some more ..

I forgot to add -- butt had already been replaced with the limbsaver :)
From what I understand the high torque on the bottom and lower torque on the top can pinch a scope tube and cause the scope to bind up or fail.

OP
W

WaWox

FNG
I thought the superlites were threaded already? It's all preference, my smaller Cals are all 18 inches that I've had cut my 300 win mag is cut to 20 inches and suppressed is wonderful to shoot. That being said my 22 inch ruger american balances very very nicely with a can on the end.
Unfortunately not -- 24" long and no threading :'(

Jim538

FNG
Another cool way to save weight would be to consider a spartan precision bipod.

gsully

Lil-Rokslider
Ditch the plastic and get a Rokstock (well at least some time in the future...)

OP
W

WaWox

FNG
Yeah definitely very very tempted by that. I guess my wallet/wife can be happy that right now it's not an option

Sand the barrel channel to provide more clearance if you use a bipod or tripod at the front, otherwise weird shit happens shooting off hard ground
And as has been said get better rings

sdupontjr

WKR
I kept stock barrel length, had it threaded 9/16x24 and installed a MBM super baby beast. Shoots like a 243 now.
tikka 7mag brake.jpg

tikka 7mag.jpg

Have changed out the scope and rings, but the Brake is nice.

New rings.

If you're not going to use a muzzle device the only notable step up i'd consider is a new stock. Rokstok or wait for KRG Echo. Degrease the firing pin and inside of your bolt.

I have to admit that I find the stock Tikka stock to be very suitable for hunting. Might not be great for bench, PRS or tripod shooting, but when carrying it around the ergonomics are not bad at all. Also, it can take dings and scratches without me stressing out about ruining my stock.