Tikka T3X Roughtech/Veil Questions

FCCDerek

Lil-Rokslider
So, I'm looking at setting up a lightweight Tikka 6.5 with a 20" barrel. I have a question that I can't find a for sure answer to anywhere. Does the Tikka T3X Roughtech and Veil models have stainless with a finish on it or are they carbon steel? I've seen some places that say they're stainless and some say they're carbon. I'm definitely wanting stainless for this rifle, but I don't really care if its finished or not, its the threaded barrel of those two models that I like as this rifle will be ran suppressed all the time. My other option is just getting a T3X Lite stainless in 6.5 and having the barrel cut back to 20" and threaded. I have a 20" CTR 6.5 in a KRG Bravo already, and its an absolutely superb shooter. It's just a touch heavier than I like for a compact hunting rifle. Another question, would I have to go shorter than 20" on the Lite to be able to have the barrel threaded to 5/8-24? Thanks!

yes the veil model does come in stainless, however cabelas/basspro has a similar model that is steel its a exclusive model. you get the amber model that is stainless and threaded no paint. The barrel and action of the ctr in 20inch and a 24 inch veil will weight the same. I think mine is .2lbs different in weight. the t3 lite could be threaded 9/16x24 at any length

Just get a stainless T3X Lite?

If you want lightweight, that's not a Roughtech profile. 20" will need to be chopped/threaded anyway.

You're paying a whole lot more for a fluted bolt and stock that's not much better than regular.

sveltri

WKR
yes the veil model does come in stainless, however cabelas/basspro has a similar model that is steel its a exclusive model. you get the amber model that is stainless and threaded no paint. The barrel and action of the ctr in 20inch and a 24 inch veil will weight the same. I think mine is .2lbs different in weight. the t3 lite could be threaded 9/16x24 at any length
The Cabelas version I have is SS.

ok I was told at cabalas that its a steel barrel cerakote and nothing I have seen calls it out as being stainless. Its also the reason its price is less than a veil or ember rifle. it wouldn't make cense to have two rifle that are basically the same and call one an exclusive and sell it for less money. maybe they have changed it, but the ones I looked at were about $1000 for the exclusive model in gray with threaded muzzle

OP
FCCDerek

FCCDerek

Lil-Rokslider
Or you could get a Tikka T3x Roughtech Superlite that is already 20in and threaded.
I've looked at that one. I'm strongly leaning towards the standard Lite model and having it cut to 20" and threaded for a Griffin taper mount. I can get one of those for $799 out the door, and Kampfeld Kustoms is a 20 minute drive to have it threaded. I don't care whether or not I have a fluted bolt. I've never definitively seen anything that says it increases performance at all. It cuts a tiny bit of weight and looks cool.

Castmaster

Lil-Rokslider
Can you link to that? I'm not seeing any stainless 20" threaded Tikkas. Closest is the ember but mine was 22.4" I believe.
They make an ember and coyote model but they are both Cerekoted, they are a euro optic exclusive so that’s the only place you can find them.

ok I was told at cabalas that its a steel barrel cerakote and nothing I have seen calls it out as being stainless. Its also the reason its price is less than a veil or ember rifle. it wouldn't make cense to have two rifle that are basically the same and call one an exclusive and sell it for less money. maybe they have changed it, but the ones I looked at were about $1000 for the exclusive model in gray with threaded muzzle

Not sure who told you that, but the Bass Pro/Cabelas D-18 models are the exact same base rifle as the Veil and Roughtech, just with a different camo pattern on the stock and different cerakote on the metal.

Castmaster

Lil-Rokslider
The Roughtech has a blue carbon barrel and action. I like mine, but should have upgraded to a Stainless cerakoted version.
Both models of the roughtech superlite are cerekoted which is super nice. I have a standard roughtech too and i can’t tell if it’s some sort of blueing or nitride, it seems pretty corrosion resistant.

Last edited: