Tikka T3X Roughtech Reviews

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Yeah, for sure. I’m not really sure what niche they’re trying to fill with the Roughtech. They’re heavy. Mine’s 11 lbs as pictured above w/ bipod, but I knew that going in. I wanted a long range target gun and it does that well. Certainly not the base I would use for a lightweight hunting rifle though.

I’m sure it’s a cool gun, maybe just trying to bridge the gap between the T3x and the ctr or whatever they call that heavy barreled t3x with the six’s bottom metal. I have a few t3x superlites, they are good rifles but not my favorites.

bow_hunt32

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure that’s entirely accurate. For one, Roughtechs don’t come with camo stocks, you may be thinking of the Veils.

A Roughtech is a T3x with a heavier barrel (D18 contour), fluted bolt, and oversized bolt knob. The stock has a rough texture to it. Barrel is flutted and threaded 5/8-24. Comes with a radial brake. Finish is blued.

I have one in 6.5CM that I got new for $864. I put it in a McMillan Game Scout and added an APA brake. It shoots factory 140gr ELD-M very well; during testing it shot 9 consecutive 3-shot groups that averaged .44 MOA.

I’ve got no complaints.
With the slightly heavier contour barrel on the roughtech how did it fit in that game scout assuming the barrel channel on that game scout is for a standard t3x sporter contoured barrel? I currently have one of my t3x lite's sitting in a mesa altitude stock and am considering getting a roughtech and dropping it in the same stock. Im assuming the barrel channel difference wont be enough that im going to need to open up the channel on my mesa stock? Anyone know for sure if that would be the case?

Antares

WKR
With the slightly heavier contour barrel on the roughtech how did it fit in that game scout assuming the barrel channel on that game scout is for a standard t3x sporter contoured barrel? I currently have one of my t3x lite's sitting in a mesa altitude stock and am considering getting a roughtech and dropping it in the same stock. Im assuming the barrel channel difference wont be enough that im going to need to open up the channel on my mesa stock? Anyone know for sure if that would be the case?

I don’t know how generously Mesa cuts their barrel channels, but I’m guessing it will need to be opened up to fit a D18 profile. Pretty sure “D18” stands for “Diameter 18 mm”, so you could do a little measuring on your stock and see what you find.

I had my Game Scout cut specifically for the D18 profile. McMillan didn’t have a program for it at the time so I had to send them the measurements.

bow_hunt32

Lil-Rokslider

bow_hunt32

Lil-Rokslider
Just received confirmation from Mesa that the altitude sporter barrel channel would need opened up for the D18 contour roughtech barrel.

bow_hunt32

Lil-Rokslider
Just picked up my T3x Roughtech in 6.5 PRC last friday, on my scale it weighed in at 6.975 pounds. Not bad, I think I should be in the 9ish pound range after its all setup. I actually like the stock and may leave it like it is instead of having my smith open the barrel channel on a mesa altitude stock to fit. I went ahead and ordered the vertical grip in coyote brown color for it and Im topping it with a Vx5 HD 3-15x44 and Talley LW rings, found a box of 147 Eld-m I'll test it out with. Should be a sweet rig

Antares

WKR
Just picked up my T3x Roughtech in 6.5 PRC last friday, on my scale it weighed in at 6.975 pounds. Not bad, I think I should be in the 9ish pound range after its all setup. I actually like the stock and may leave it like it is instead of having my smith open the barrel channel on a mesa altitude stock to fit. I went ahead and ordered the vertical grip in coyote brown color for it and Im topping it with a Vx5 HD 3-15x44 and Talley LW rings, found a box of 147 Eld-m I'll test it out with. Should be a sweet rig

Can't wait to see a pic! I had the same glass on mine. I liked it so much I moved it over to my main hunting rifle and got an NF NXS 3.5-15x50 for my Roughtech. Really curious to see how the NF compares. The rifle is off getting cerakoted right now; I was getting a lot of rust on the bluing. Can't wait to get it back and put it back together. I'll post a pic when I do (probably over in the "semi-custom" thread).

Gila

WKR
Can't wait to see a pic! I had the same glass on mine. I liked it so much I moved it over to my main hunting rifle and got an NF NXS 3.5-15x50 for my Roughtech. Really curious to see how the NF compares. The rifle is off getting cerakoted right now; I was getting a lot of rust on the bluing. Can't wait to get it back and put it back together. I'll post a pic when I do (probably over in the "semi-custom" thread).
Anyone know what the specs are or how to get for the D18 barrel contour? Would like to put a custom barrel into the Roughtech stock.

Antares

WKR
Anyone know what the specs are or how to get for the D18 barrel contour? Would like to put a custom barrel into the Roughtech stock.

These are the measurements I sent to McMillan when they cut a barrel channel my Roughtech. It fit's perfectly. Hope that helps.

1637620989777.png

Gila

WKR
These are the measurements I sent to McMillan when they cut a barrel channel my Roughtech. It fit's perfectly. Hope that helps.

View attachment 348863
Thank you very much...usually the barrel cylinder length is important to start the contour. Also, Tikka‘s barrel length measure 24.3”. But what I see is a heavy sporter contour. Certainly enough “meat” there to do a decent flute.

Antares

WKR
Do you have a pic of the finished product? Which stock did you go with? An edge fill game scout would be a sweet addition to the roughtech.

It's post #16 in this thread. It's an Adjustable Game Scout with standard fill. I thought about going with EDGE fill, but I wasn't really going for a lightweight rifle. Glad I didn't now because I'm about to put a 30oz NF optic on it which might have made it feel top heavy with EDGE fill. I'll post a pic of it once it has it's new glass and Cerakote job. I have another Tikka in a Game Hunter with EDGE fill which is awesome too.

Curious to see how this setup has proven itself. I’ve got the same scope in the safe and leaning to getting the same gun. What are your thoughts?