Tikka T3x Roughtech 300 win mag

Billyvan

FNG
I recently pickup up a tikka roughtech 300 win mag. Took it out and sighted it in. Ammo was scarce but i found a couple boxes of
Hornady whitetail 150 grain soft points. I put twenty down in about an hour . The final 5 shot group was about 3” at 100yrds ( indoor range).

Save me some money and recommend a factory load that will shoot through this rifle better than that. 1/11 twist barrel @ 24”IMG_1669.jpeg

Gadjet

Lil-Rokslider
That's pretty bad grouping. Tikkas usually shoot much better that that. Check your scope mounts, rings, and action screws and make sure everything is tight. Then I would try any premium brand 180-200 grain bullets. Hornady 178 grain ELDX should shoot well with the 1/11 twist.

hiker270

WKR
The Federal 200 gr. Terminal Ascent do .5 moa in my Tikka Roughtech 300 win mag. I have tried several 180-200 gr. factory offerings and have not had anything that was as bad as 3" @ 100. I believe the specs on the Tikka Roughtech are a 1/10 twist. I have a load with H1000 and 180 gr. Nosler Accubonds that are basically one hole at 100 yds on a good day when I do my part.

OP
Billyvan

Billyvan

FNG
That's pretty bad grouping. Tikkas usually shoot much better that that. Check your scope mounts, rings, and action screws and make sure everything is tight. Then I would try any premium brand 180-200 grain bullets. Hornady 178 grain ELDX should shoot well with the 1/11 twist.

OP
Billyvan

Billyvan

FNG
Yes, I agree. Pretty bad grouping. I’m not climbing to be a crack shot but I’ve been shooting my whole life. I know all the scope components are tight and all are also loc tightened, but I haven’t checked the action screws, i will do that next. Honestly I think an inch and a half of it is the ammo and inch and a half of it is me.

matthewmt

WKR
Mine shoots 200gr terminal ascent really well. I've also shot 150s pretty good (Norma whitetail).
I would mirror the above comment of checking all screws for proper torque.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

jesco88

FNG
The Federal 200 gr. Terminal Ascent do .5 moa in my Tikka Roughtech 300 win mag. I have tried several 180-200 gr. factory offerings and have not had anything that was as bad as 3" @ 100. I believe the specs on the Tikka Roughtech are a 1/10 twist. I have a load with H1000 and 180 gr. Nosler Accubonds that are basically one hole at 100 yds on a good day when I do my part.
Can I ask what COAL you’re loading in that? Any crimping? I tried the 190gr accubond and to seat them at 3.34” it almost looks like the curve of the neck is going into the case ever so slightly and man… getting some seriously flat noses on the polymer tips for any rounds in the mag, was considering a Lee factory crimp die to see if it helps some, not sure if it’s the bullet coming out of the case or the whole cartridge bouncing around in the mag.

jesco88

FNG
Yes, I agree. Pretty bad grouping. I’m not climbing to be a crack shot but I’ve been shooting my whole life. I know all the scope components are tight and all are also loc tightened, but I haven’t checked the action screws, i will do that next. Honestly I think an inch and a half of it is the ammo and inch and a half of it is me.
For my tikka roughtech it has a 1:10 twist as it’s marked on the barrel and it’s a 24” fluted black barrel with a tan stock. But it shoots the federal branded 180gr Barnes TSX (midway has them for a good price). I’m getting under an inch at 150yds with that particular ammo. I am more frustrated with the limited coal. Might have to fix with an aics conversion.

LightFoot

WKR

Exactly this^^^

My Tikka 300 likes Norma 150 SP, Federal 185 Bergers, and Hornady Precision Hunter.

Almost everything will shoot Remington Core-lokt.

>>>——JAKE——>

hiker270

WKR
Can I ask what COAL you’re loading in that? Any crimping? I tried the 190gr accubond and to seat them at 3.34” it almost looks like the curve of the neck is going into the case ever so slightly and man… getting some seriously flat noses on the polymer tips for any rounds in the mag, was considering a Lee factory crimp die to see if it helps some, not sure if it’s the bullet coming out of the case or the whole cartridge bouncing around in the mag.
180 nosler accubond with H1000 powder the COAL is 3.330 I do not crimp any of my rifle reloads.