Tikka T3X lite 300 Win Mag barrel with a Giraffe throat

Reading back through the thread, you're going to be engaging a moose at 300 yards or less. I would take the accuracy you have with the slightly lower powder charge 10 times out of 10 and let us know how big of a Moose you get.

You are within loading manual range on charge weight. Higher velocities with that powder and that bullet by any appreciable amount and I would want to know the charge weight in order to judge if yours is truly slow.

Go shoot a moose and let us know how it goes!

Last edited:
I will do that. We will be hunting a unit with a 50 inches and/or four (or more) brow tines on at least one side minimum. If we are fortunate enough to come home with a moose or two, they won’t be small. If I don’t kill a moose, I’ll still have the new rifle to play with. It’s already successful hunt.

I’ve got the T3x lite also. However, I did find an 180 grain accubond load that shoots 0.5 inch groups. The recipe is as follows: Nosler Brass, CCI 250 primer, H-4831 73.4 grains, CBTO 2.7280, velocity 2883 fps. As you mentioned, the jump is .210, but it still groups well for me.
You should be able to load up to 75 or 76 grains from my experience with that load combo

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

I don’t doubt that you are correct. If I had a more robust supply of the 180 accubonds and primers, I might well continue attempting to increase the velocity. As it is, I’ve currently got enough components for the hunt and some prehunt practice. Any further load development will have to wait until the market breaks loose.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

You should be able to load up to 75 or 76 grains from my experience with that load combo

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
Brief update: I was able to pick up 180 grain accubonds in the latest group of ammoseek alerts. While I haven’t had a chance to shoot (still a little too much snow), I have been able to load a few more test rounds. Given the magazine dictates for seating depth with the Tikka, powder compression for this bullet/brass/powder combination occurs at 74.5 grains.

Woodman22

FNG
Great thread. I’ve been trying to find a load for the same gun. I’m finding good success with IMR4831 powder.

Reading back through the thread, you're going to be engaging a moose at 300 yards or less. I would take the accuracy you have with the slightly lower powder charge 10 times out of 10 and let us know how big of a Moose you get.

You are within loading manual range on charge weight. Higher velocities with that powder and that bullet by any appreciable amount and I would want to know the charge weight in order to judge if yours is truly slow.

Go shoot a moose and let us know how it goes!
I had promised to report back the results of this hunt. Because I wasn’t interested in sympathy, I held off. With that I mind, I’ve decided to honor my earlier promise, but rather than giving all the details, I’ll provide this summary which includes the death of a family member 36 hours before leaving for Alaska, contracting a miserable virus that hit me the first day of the hunt, a mile long stalk (dead man walking) on the second day of the hunt, a longer than anticipated shot (with back up from my hunting partners), and a final shot that dropped a 57 inch bull. The 300 win mag with 180 grain accubond did its job.

1711323116769.jpeg

Sorry to hear and condolences of the family members passing and you getting sick on the hunt. A nice congratulations on the successful hunt and the work you put in ahead of time getting the load dialed in.

Billyvan

FNG
I’ve got the T3x lite also. However, I did find an 180 grain accubond load that shoots 0.5 inch groups. The recipe is as follows: Nosler Brass, CCI 250 primer, H-4831 73.4 grains, CBTO 2.7280, velocity 2883 fps. As you mentioned, the jump is .210, but it still groups well for me.
I have a tikka T3, X in a rough tech model. 300 Winchester magnum. From what I can see on Tika’s website it shows it as a 1/11 twist? Can either of you verify that is accurate or do you believe it’s o10?

Andouille

Lil-Rokslider
This is the twist rate straight from the Tikka manual.
Not sure I trust the manuals and website specs as several folks have pointed out that they don't match their rifles. I believe that the newer 1:10 barrels are stamped with 10" based on the one that came on my 300 WM T3X Lite bought last December, and that the 1:11 barrels may not have any indication of twist on the barrel. But a quick test with a cleaning rod with swab and ruler can be used to determine twists per inch.

OP
Gila

Gila

WKR
Not sure I trust the manuals and website specs as several folks have pointed out that they don't match their rifles. I believe that the newer 1:10 barrels are stamped with 10" based on the one that came on my 300 WM T3X Lite bought last December, and that the 1:11 barrels may not have any indication of twist on the barrel. But a quick test with a cleaning rod with swab and ruler can be used to determine twists per inch.
The barrels are so stamped. The model numbers are different as well.

This is the twist rate straight from the Tikka manual.

View attachment 693264
I’ve got three Tikkas. The 25:06 is 1:10, the 30:06 and 300 win mag are both 1:11
I’ll go down to my gun room and measure mine. I’ll let you know what I find.

I’ve got three Tikkas. The 25:06 is 1:10, the 30:06 and 300 win mag are both 1:11

I’ll go down to my gun room and measure mine. I’ll let you know what I find

I’ll go down to my gun room and measure mine. I’ll let you know what I find.
To your point. Based upon the cleaning rod measurement method, my 300 win mag has a 1:10 twist rate. I’ve learned something new. Thanks.

OP
Gila

Gila

WKR
I have a Tikka 300 WM SS barrel with a 10” twist…

Barrel.jpg